12V IR spotlight

AGZ

Newly Enlightened
Greetings
Can anyone recommend a 12V IR (850nm or above) spotlight with a long range (and reasonably priced)? I have tried the array types sold on ebay and the only give you 50m or so.
Cheers
A

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Reasonably priced" is an extremely subjectively variable term. Please be more specific so that you might get some reasonable answers.

71Scamp

Newly Enlightened
How about a 1,400,000 CP 24V Xenon model from a Bradley. It's new/unused and comes with it's own new, 24V, 4/cyl. genset. It is NOT man portable!

Can be used white or IR.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you wont find anything like you looking for, there aren't any made, except for military target illuminators, but those are very expensive, and need external batteries. i was looking for one myself, no luck, had to build one from a scratch. it does give me few hundred yards beam easy, lights up night vision goggles, like a daylight, as well as any camera that picks up ir.

Last edited:

AGZ

Newly Enlightened
How about a 1,400,000 CP 24V Xenon model from a Bradley. It's new/unused and comes with it's own new, 24V, 4/cyl. genset. It is NOT man portable!

Can be used white or IR.
I need it to run on 12V (normal car battery). Do you have a link to this product by any chance?

AGZ

Newly Enlightened
you wont find anything like you looking for, there aren't any made, except for military target illuminators, but those are very expensive, and need external batteries. i was looking for one myself, no luck, had to build one from a scratch. it does give me few hundred yards beam easy, lights up night vision goggles, like a daylight, as well as any camera that picks up ir.
Thanks for the answer and very nice build project. I think I will have to modify a large hand-held IR flashlight like the T67 sold on ebay etc. There are also IR filters that fit a 5'' and 7'' xenon spotlight, but they seem to be made only in Australia and will not ship overseas.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answer and very nice build project. I think I will have to modify a large hand-held IR flashlight like the T67 sold on ebay etc. There are also IR filters that fit a 5'' and 7'' xenon spotlight, but they seem to be made only in Australia and will not ship overseas.
i build mine in 2014, i do not remember t67 being on the market back then, at least IR version, i'd sure try it first, With the beam being in tightest setting, it is quite possible to reach 200m they claim, assuming the led is not a total trash. you may not need to modify it, but if you do, replacing the led and maybe the driver would do the trick.

AGZ

Newly Enlightened
i build mine in 2014, i do not remember t67 being on the market back then, at least IR version, i'd sure try it first, With the beam being in tightest setting, it is quite possible to reach 200m they claim, assuming the led is not a total trash. you may not need to modify it, but if you do, replacing the led and maybe the driver would do the trick.
I have the T50, the smaller brother. It does have a beam of about 200m with the 850nm version. The only modification I need is to run it from the car battery. Will arrange some wiring and will use a DC/DC 12v to 7.5V 75W converter. What do you think?

71Scamp

Newly Enlightened
I think you would have to have a glass shop cut it from a larger one.
What you want is probably only available as a "custom" and custom is never inexpensive. At least this way you're buying a good/powerful light from a reputable source. Adding a filter is not that expensive for what you end up with. If you go the ebay route (offshore), let us know how it works out.

LEDphile

Enlightened
That'd be a great way to end up with essentially no output at all - LEDs, unless they are designed to emit IR, have almost no output in the infrared part of the spectrum. If you want to filter a white light source to create an IR beam, you need to start with a source that has significant IR in the first place (so halogen, incandescent, xenon, etc.)

Reactions: AGZ

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of IR, has anyone else seen that video from "Styropyro" on YouTube called "100% Invisible IR death ray laser!" 😳

71Scamp

Newly Enlightened
"100% Invisible IR death ray laser!"
Wow, this kid reminds me of someone I knew 60 years ago. He made thermite and blew a number of things up with homemade explosives. Oh yeah that was me. :).

I'm betting he could build you a suitable IR emitter that wouldn't blind your targets. Ask him.