14650?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX have just put these on sale, and I'm wondering what purpose they can serve. No flashlight I know of runs on 14650s, and they are too short to put two in place of three AAs (not that it'd be of any use even if it could be done, what with the voltage mismatch).

So... why?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any lights that are made for these cells.

Good point. I'm certain everyone here is aware of this, but a lot of people are not. Generally, flashlights are adapted to Li-Ions, not the reverse. The same applies to high power led's, for the most part, the flashlight industry is adapting, not the led industry. While I hope they are listening to us, neither industry is primarily aimed at flashlights.

As for DX, well, some of their non-flashlight stuff they offer, cracks me up. They do a great job of offering "Something for everybody", and it's cool they offer the 14650's. :)

Dave

Illum

Flashaholic
Wouldn't a 16650 make more sense for those?
I have yet to find a 16650 cell:thinking:

DX have just put these on sale, and I'm wondering what purpose they can serve. No flashlight I know of runs on 14650s, and they are too short to put two in place of three AAs (not that it'd be of any use even if it could be done, what with the voltage mismatch).

So... why?

IIRC Fivemega made a 4x14650 to 1D holders for single cell maglights...:whistle:

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
14650s have been used in a variety of custom configurations. with all the rage over emoli cells and D size li-ion stuff, most of the applications these were being used in have become semi-obsolete.

Tidra

Enlightened
Hm,... 1600mAh it is quite a lot for that small Li-Ion is this data correct???

I would definitely use 4 of them instead of one D Li-Ion from Kai....

Tidra

Enlightened
Too bad,... I know that would be less but that much....
I wonder how much juice you could get from them 1C, 1.5C,....

Illum

Flashaholic
given they are protected a ballpark figure would be 2C, if unprotected I don't think theres a definite discharge rate...but anything over 2C you risk destroying the cell internally, even if its not fully drained

merdock69

Newly Enlightened
Well, guys I just got two of them shipped to me by accident (chinese shipper). They fit nicely in my Surfire 6P LED with the Malkoff M60... It seems just as bright as two rcr123a's.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 3 might fit parallel in an unbored D light body. I know you can do that with 3 x CR2 primary cells. For protection against reverse charging, you would need a diode on each one, but that is pretty easy.

So far I have not ventured into the DX battery pile though, but I think AW sells a 14xxx protected cell.

Illum

Flashaholic
I think 3 might fit parallel in an unbored D light body. I know you can do that with 3 x CR2 primary cells. For protection against reverse charging, you would need a diode on each one, but that is pretty easy.

So far I have not ventured into the DX battery pile though, but I think AW sells a 14xxx protected cell.

the only protected cells in AW's 14xxx line is 14500 and 14670
ultrafire sells a protected gray color 14650, but IIRC its not even 1100ma, its 900mah:shakehead