18650 bike light recommendation

Artem

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am looking for 18650 bike light that, first of all, should have a genuine bike flashing mode and not the crazy seizures-inducing strobe that most flashlights have these days.

Secondly it'd take an unprotected 18650 and be fine with that.

Price - up to $50, although I am willing to go higher if there's a genuine reason to do so.

Thanks a ton!

Artem

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts?

To provide a counter-example, I wouldn't want to buy anything like Fenix BC30 LED Bike Light, but something more like BLF A6 CREE XPL 1600LM (though it needs to take an unprotected 18650, which BLF A6 doesn't).

Thanks!

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The BLF A6 was actually the only light I could think of off the top of my head. It's a good flasher; the base brightness is fairly bright and the patterned flash isn't just a constant strobe, it pulses. The bike flasher is a bit hidden though (a few long presses to back cycle through to it). The A6 does take unprotected batteries- actually to get max performance out of the light you need to use a high drain unprotected 18650 like a Samsung 30Q, but it'll run quite happily on any quality cell albeit with less lumens. It also has a low voltage cutoff just in case.

Artem

Newly Enlightened
The A6 does take unprotected batteries- actually to get max performance out of the light you need to use a high drain unprotected 18650 like a Samsung 30Q

Thanks for that! I got confused by banggood product page saying it needs protected batteries, I guess, I'll just order it then.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
No problem! Be sure to check out the directions for the UI. There should be a link to the BLF thread on the store page.
The Astrolux S1 is the same light with different branding and comes with the 18350 tube, if that interests you. The S1 doesn't have an unanodized version like the BLF A6 version though. Either one comes in your choice of tint- the 3D is quite popular, as it is neutral. I have a 5A, which is warm. The last tint is a cool white, which leans a bit more toward the blue side of the spectrum.. There should be some comparison shots floating around if you aren't sure which one you want.

Artem

Newly Enlightened
Be sure to check out the directions for the UI. There should be a link to the BLF thread on the store page.
They indeed are, and I've got to say that's some advanced UI! http://budgetlightforum.com/node/41726

Either one comes in your choice of tint- the 3D is quite popular, as it is neutral. I have a 5A, which is warm. The last tint is a cool white, which leans a bit more toward the blue side of the spectrum.. There should be some comparison shots floating around if you aren't sure which one you want.

Ordered 3D as words "very yellow" for 5A kind of scared me away. Thanks for your answers @TheShadowGuy, that has been very comprehensive and helpful!

markr6

Flashaholic
Any thoughts?

To provide a counter-example, I wouldn't want to buy anything like Fenix BC30 LED Bike Light, but something more like BLF A6 CREE XPL 1600LM (though it needs to take an unprotected 18650, which BLF A6 doesn't).

Really? I never tried a protected in the A6 but having two springs I figured it would easily fit.