18650 case?

TPA

Enlightened
What is everyone using for 18650 cases?

Somewhere along the lines I picked up some 18650 cases which look almost like landmines and have gasketed screw-on caps. Ridiculously overbuilt, but I like that. I don't want to worry about loose 18650 cells rolling around in my bag, especially in-flight.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I got some of these in different sizes. They're waterproof and fairly heavy duty.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another vote for County Comm's delrin battery lockers. I have far too many of those at this point. Heads-up though, after awhile they start to smell like fish. No clue why. Just the nature of delrin apparently. Oh, and you can't scrub the smell out. It doesn't go away.

Check Etsy for 3D-printed 18650 battery cases and battery lockers. They're available on there from a handful of sellers and usually less expensive than the CC ones. But County Comm makes their lockers with better quality.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
CjOxGiF.png

I have 5 of these battery containers! I can customize them using my laser engraver & EVA foam. This one is for my 18650's, the rest are holding AA & AAA batteries.

Here's the one I customized for only AAA batteries. It was setup for 20 AA & 14 AAA, now it holds 48 AAA, though most of them are currently in eight 4xAAA to C-cell 1.5V adapters, since I ran out of C-cells when my battery powered front porch lights went out.
zFGReGt.png

When I use up the rest of my alkaline's I'll probably customize one more of these to hold 21700's & 26650's!

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Another vote for County Comm's delrin battery lockers. I have far too many of those at this point. Heads-up though, after awhile they start to smell like fish. No clue why. Just the nature of delrin apparently. Oh, and you can't scrub the smell out. It doesn't go away.

Check Etsy for 3D-printed 18650 battery cases and battery lockers. They're available on there from a handful of sellers and usually less expensive than the CC ones. But County Comm makes their lockers with better quality.
In theory (I do not intentionally buy anything with formaldehyde in it), scrubbing them with a paste made of baking soda & Dawn liquid detergent should eliminate the smell.

Delrin is a brand name of acetal: Acetal is a thermoplastic that is based on the formaldehyde molecule. It is also known as polyoxymethylene (POM), polyformaldehyde, polyethylene glycol, or polyoxymethylene glycol.

It's also thermally unstable. i.e. you do not want to keep it in your car or truck in summer. Summertime heat can cause it to begin to break down and smell. Your sweat can cause it to smell as the acid in your sweat also starts to break it down. Though, unless your sweating profusely, it would take a LONG time for sweat alone to cause problems.

Last edited:
I recommend the Nalgene Snap-Cap Vial storage tubes. Enter the italicized phrase in your preferred search engine, and select the 28mL size (dimensions 1" x 3.3"). There are multiple sellers of this product, at significant variable price points, so shop around for the best deal. (The United States Plastic Corporation typically has the lowest price, but other sellers often have sales, so it's worth your while to shop around.) The 28mL size is shown by the vial in the middle of the image below. 18650 cells fit inside perfectly, and the snap cap is very, very secure: it won't come off accidently or by casual contact with items in a pocket, backpack, or range bag.

1710987230416.png

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
I've long been fond of these silicone sleeve thingies to carry an extra battery or two. Unlike most plastic cases, the cells don't rattle around inside them when moving a lot. And they don't burst open if you accidentally drop one but will protect the battery well. There's also little chance of cells coming loose inside of a backpack and completing the circuit on something conductive. Fun colors too! Just google 18650 Battery Silicone Sleeve. They've got em for 21700 cells also. Wish I could find some for AAs.
Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 9.32.10 PM.png

I agree that the silicon battery sleeves are an excellent cell protection and carry option. The only advantage the HDPE Nalgene Snap-Cap Vial has over the silicon sleeve is that the Nalgene vial is highly water resistant (although not completely waterproof). If you're adventuring by canoe, kayak, or in and around a duck blind, I'd opt for the snap-cap vials. Otherwise, even the M&M tube would do (with the added bonus of free chocolate with every tube purchased). :clap:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Had good results with XTAR branded plastic boxes. These take 2 batteries side by side. They don't rattle or pop open in normal use.

I bought some new ones last week but they arrived unbranded so I can't remember where I bought the originals.

I don't have a photo but they are (in millimeters) 75 x 40 x 23

PS - The new unbranded ones are cheap cr*p. I won't use them at all as they break easily and will pop open at the drop of a hat.