1xAA clicky for the wife's purse and a 1xCR123 with NovaTac/HDS-style UI?

thingsforjason

Newly Enlightened
Two things:

1) I'd like to get a(nother) light for my wife to keep in her purse/clutch. 1xAA clicky, but with decent output. Options currently are: UltraFire C3, Romisen MXDL RC-G2, Uniquefire S10, Energizer Tactical AA, Fenix E11, Duramax 1AA, StreamLight ProTac 1AA. Preferably under $30. I've got the first three lights in my DX cart right now, but if I can decide on one, then I can potentially put some money towards light #2 (below)

2) What's out there in the reverse-clicky realm that has a UI similar to the NovaTac/HDS offering? I've been carrying a 120P for 3-4 years now, and while it's great, I long for a few more lumens out the front. I wouldn't give up the UI for the world, though. My other cheap multi-mode throwers all just cycle through outputs, which is okay, but not to EDC, and as fancy as the rings and the twist-head modes are, I like to be able to operate it all one-handed.

Last edited:

TOJ

Newly Enlightened
I just got an E11 for my fiance's purse yesterday. Seems as durable and high quality as my 2 Fenix E21s. Although I can't attest yet to the longevity of the E11, I will say its simple UI is great for purse duty. It literally is just a short E21. Clicky for on/off, and twisty for high/low. Just leave it on high. 105 lumens out of an Eneloop is nice.

I don't have any experience with your other lights. $25, available on Amazon Prime, and the Fenix name made it a no brainer to me.

Last edited:

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
I have somewhat recently spoken of how lucky I have been with the C3, but haven't used it much. Last week my Thrunite T10 (and Ti) arrived so I thought I would compare the C3 (1-mode clicky) to the Thrunite (3 mode twisty). When I turned the C3 on (it's been sitting in a drawer unused in my computer desk), the terrible flickering I thought I had fixed by tightening the switch with a needlenose came back. Tightening the tail cap seemed to remedy this issue, but it does leave a bit of a sour feeling for it.

Unless your wife likes to tinker with the lights, I would recommend against this. I would recommend you check shiningbeam for Romisen lights though. The build quality is much better than the ultrafire, and Bryan tests them before shipping. Plus you don't have to wait a month.

thingsforjason

Newly Enlightened
The E11 does sound appealing. How's that low output? I've got an old L1P that she was carrying around at one point that I suppose I could just give her too...

Any thoughts on light #2?

I just got an E11 for my fiance's purse yesterday. Seems as durable and high quality as my 2 Fenix E21s. Although I can't attest yet to the longevity of the E11, I will say its simple UI is great for purse duty. It literally is just a short E21. Clicky for on/off, and twisty for high/low. Just leave it on high. 105 lumens out of an Eneloop is nice.

I don't have any experience with your other lights. $25, available on Amazon Prime, and the Fenix name made it a no brainer to me.

TOJ

Newly Enlightened
The E11 does sound appealing. How's that low output? I've got an old L1P that she was carrying around at one point that I suppose I could just give her too...

Any thoughts on light #2?

Unfortunately I have no experience with reverse clicky lights, or the CR123 platform for that matter.

Regarding the low... it certainly could be lower. Same problem on the E21. I do think the 32 lumens is just fine for inside the house, but might be high for reading. I haven't tested reading. I'm not sure 32 lumens would undo your night vision outside. I really only wish the low was lower for higher runtime. The E11 does NOT tailstand, FYI.

thingsforjason

Newly Enlightened
So she's got the L1P in her purse for now.

Anyone with some insight on the reverse clicky UIs?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying a 120P for 3-4 years now, and while it's great, I long for a few more lumens out the front. I wouldn't give up the UI for the world, though.
Sounds like you need to mod your 120P with an XM-L emitter, around 260 or so lumens. Very noticeably brighter than the stock SSC P4.

thingsforjason

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like a fabulous idea. Imma start searching the forums for this mod now...I'm just apprehensive about opening up this light, I guess.

So there really isn't any current manufacturers with a UI like the Novatacs? I was okay tearing apart my $30 Nuwai QIII but I ended up buying my 120P after I lost two modded QIIIs.

Sounds like you need to mod your 120P with an XM-L emitter, around 260 or so lumens. Very noticeably brighter than the stock SSC P4.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like a fabulous idea. Imma start searching the forums for this mod now...I'm just apprehensive about opening up this light, I guess.

So there really isn't any current manufacturers with a UI like the Novatacs? I was okay tearing apart my $30 Nuwai QIII but I ended up buying my 120P after I lost two modded QIIIs.

There is information about the mod on here somewhere and there are several members on here that can do the mod for a reasonable fee if you don't want to try it yourself. Myself being one as well as vinhnguyen54,Flucero28 and jake royston are a few others that come to mind. Vinh Frank or Jake, if any of you prefer I remove your name I will kindly do so, I was just naming a few people that come to mind that do quality work.

EDIT: Nichia 219 is my favorite mod but I don't fuss much about output (the 219 is plenty of lumens for daily tasks). The XM-L has a FAT hotspot in the NT that I find very useful. The XP-G is also nice with great output if your like a little more throw than the XM-L.

Jamie

Last edited:

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
I have a Novatac that I would really like to have modded to XML, Ive been looking for who does this. Anyone ready to doa mod, and for how much?!