2 Lights Required, and a Hello from a new member

4rmless

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for quite some time now, and am active on EDCF (same username).

I have a couple of requirements that I'm finding hard to decide on, maybe you guys can help. I'm aware of a few options for each of these, but either none seem quite right, or I'm unable to distinguish between them (and unwilling to buy multiples!).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Need 1

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

Maglite 2D or larger

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

Not too bothered, rechargeable would be nice.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

Ideally 3 modes - Low at under 20 lumens, high and strobe at over 300.

Burst/Turbo is fine.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions

____Emergency kit (long standby periods)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Crenulated bezel (would be nice)

Need 2

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a self-contained headlamp.

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions

____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

none

4rmless

Newly Enlightened
Realised I should have just explained what they are for.

Need 1 is one my wife has asked for, we have a rather battered Maglite 2d that she keeps in her bedside table, it's her 'strange noise in the night' light. It's getting flickery and has never been that bright, so this is to replace it. Basically it should get her through the house to see what stray animal is knocking over the bins and ideally able to dayglo our yard from a window. The strobe is for me, if we're having an anti-intruder flashlight, it should have a good strobe imho.

Need 2 is a glovebox light. Needs to be a headlamp for under the bonnet work, needs to be able to shrug off some water, needs to take rechargables. If it could be RCR123s, 10180s or AAAs, that'd be great as I already have those.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Post edited.

We do not discuss flashlights as a clubs, see rule 11. A flashlight is a lightning tool.

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Are you looking for something physically as big as the 2D Mag? I was going to suggest a Fenix UC35, but those are quite a bit smaller and lighter than a 2D light.

Last edited by a moderator:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. The new 3rd Gen LED Mag 2D cell. It is 524 lumens and throws like crazy. Run it on 10000mah NiMH Tenergy Premiums like I do and you will only have to recharge it once every couple months or more that and hey its only $50!!!

2. Any Armytek headlamp will do. Built like a tank and waterproof. Pick any of their headlamps and youll do fine.

4rmless

Newly Enlightened
1. The new 3rd Gen LED Mag 2D cell. It is 524 lumens and throws like crazy. Run it on 10000mah NiMH Tenergy Premiums like I do and you will only have to recharge it once every couple months or more that and hey its only $50!!!

2. Any Armytek headlamp will do. Built like a tank and waterproof. Pick any of their headlamps and youll do fine.

Thanks! The Armytek lights look perfect, C1 v2 XM-L2 I think.

Not 100% on the Maglite, our is pretty old, and I'm sure they've improved, but I've never been a big fan.