2004 Toyota Sienna OEM Headlight Leaking

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
Recently replaced both headlights in my 2004 Toyota Sienna with OEM. First set of headlights, the driver side has a piece of plastic loose in the housing and other manufacturing defects, so I get a replacement one sent. I've been through 4 OEM driver side headlights (directly from Toyota dealers) and they all have leaked, while the passenger side has stayed completely dry.

Is there any way to find out who the OEM manufacturer of these lights are? The dealership has looked over my car (over the course of a week) to see if there is anything that could be wrong with the car that would allow water to enter the headlights but it looks like whomever manufactured the lights had a bad production run and has all these defective units distributed around the country. I'd like to contact them directly as it's getting extremely frustrating at this point.

Thanks.

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
Most Lexus headlamps have the manufacturers name stamped/carved into the clear lens housing. I have seen a lot of Lexus headlamps with KOITO stamped on them, i don't remember seeing any other brand. I doubt Toyota would be any different.

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
I'll take a look, I'm thinking maybe to reseal them myself using clear silicone, seems to be quite common in the 2004-2006 headlight design (for them to leak).

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most Lexus headlamps have the manufacturers name stamped/carved into the clear lens housing. I have seen a lot of Lexus headlamps with KOITO stamped on them, i don't remember seeing any other brand. I doubt Toyota would be any different.
Of course, this is because Lexus *IS* Toyota. You may also see NAL (North American Lighting) which is a Koito Group Company on US-made Toyotas.

I'm beginning to see more Stanley headlamps on Toyota models, such as on a '16 or '17 Avalon Hybrid (or was it the Corolla LE?).

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Just to clarify I wasn't talking about pulling them apart completely and resealing, just running a bead around where the two halves meet. How does silicone ruin the headlights?

As it cures, it outgases. The outgases are acidic (which is why curing silicone smells of vinegar) and attacks the headlamp reflector. If water can get in, so can the gas. It's worth going out of your way to take the headlamps to a windshield shop and have them run a bead of windshield urethane where you were going to apply silicone.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
As it cures, it outgases. The outgases are acidic (which is why curing silicone smells of vinegar) and attacks the headlamp reflector. If water can get in, so can the gas. It's worth going out of your way to take the headlamps to a windshield shop and have them run a bead of windshield urethane where you were going to apply silicone.

Is that the same stuff as windshield buytl?