2012 Battery test/review summary

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thank you! Very helpful. Other than AW would you have a brand or distributor for the protected final product? Battery junction or others?

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way but almost $20 per cell seems a bit inflated? Wouldn't you agree?

Some possibilities are CalliesKustoms, EagleTac, Intl-outdoor, Orbtronic, RediLast and Xtar. The price varies, but it is possible to get below $15 including shippig.

Using a protected 18650 as a stand alone is not very common, this makes the battery more expensive (Mostly 18650 are used in battery packs for laptops without individual cell protection).

Chowderhead72

Newly Enlightened
Using a protected 18650 as a stand alone is not very common, this makes the battery more expensive (Mostly 18650 are used in battery packs for laptops without individual cell protection).

Huh?

You are suggesting non-protected cells in a three cell light? I thought that was only recommended in a single cell configuration where the low voltage cut-off worked as protection.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Huh?

You are suggesting non-protected cells in a three cell light? I thought that was only recommended in a single cell configuration where the low voltage cut-off worked as protection.

No, except when it is a battery pack with a common protection.

18650 batteries is sold for use in battery packs with common protection, not for use as single cells (protected or not). This means that the the number of individual protected batteries manufactured is rather limited and this leads to higher price.

The last two years has seen a number of new 18650 dealers and increased the competition, this has lowered the price on quality batteries.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ, I just did a little testing on the new Panasonic 3400 and let me tell you....you're going to be IMPRESSED with this new cell! At a 4a load it holds voltage like an IMR cell. Starting voltage was 4.22v and I ended at 2.75v....how about 3305mah?!? Again, that's at a 4a load on a brand new cell with no cycles. If it's like most cells I've tested, it should pick up a little more with several more cycles.

Most impressive was it's ability to maintain voltage. :bow: Think of it as a hybrid IMR cell with 3400+ capacity. :cool:

I am extremely pleased with this initial testing to say the least. I look forward to seeing your testing.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ, I just did a little testing on the new Panasonic 3400 and let me tell you....you're going to be IMPRESSED with this new cell! At a 4a load it holds voltage like an IMR cell. Starting voltage was 4.22v and I ended at 2.75v....how about 3305mah?!? Again, that's at a 4a load on a brand new cell with no cycles. If it's like most cells I've tested, it should pick up a little more with several more cycles.

Most impressive was it's ability to maintain voltage. :bow: Think of it as a hybrid IMR cell with 3400+ capacity. :cool:

I am extremely pleased with this initial testing to say the least. I look forward to seeing your testing.

I do have test data for two different sets of Panasonic 3400mAh (one protected and one unprotected).
I have not really been looking at the data yet, because I need to rescale everything to handle 3400mAh.

HKJ

Flashaholic
A couple of new test/reviews has been posted, including the two 3400mAh.

I have changed the scale on most charts to accommodate the 3400mAh batteries, this scale will be the default for all new 18650 test I publish. I might also update the chart scales on the older tests, but I have not done that yet.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of new test/reviews has been posted, including the two 3400mAh.

I have changed the scale on most charts to accommodate the 3400mAh batteries, this scale will be the default for all new 18650 test I publish. I might also update the chart scales on the older tests, but I have not done that yet.

thanks!

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
The new 3400mAh batteries look very promising. It'll be interesting to see what the modders like AW can do with these new cells. :)

P.S. mods, this thread DEFINITELY needs to be stickied!

HKJ

Flashaholic
The new 3400mAh batteries look very promising. It'll be interesting to see what the modders like AW can do with these new cells. :)

A guess would be that AW makes a short version (About 68mm) with a flat top like he has done with the 2900/3100mAh batteries.

P.S. mods, this thread DEFINITELY needs to be stickied!

The sticky has moved to the "Threads of interest", this way it does not use up the first page of threads.

vpr5703

Newly Enlightened
This is awesome. I've been prodding for a few days around your website, way to go. This is the exact reason I bought AW and Kallie Customs cells a few days ago. Love it.

Asus TF300T w/ Tapatalk

StylesTW

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a problem reading the chart. You mentioned a flashlight like the Klarus XT 10 or in my case a Klarus XT 11 which uses an XM-L U2, needs 3A. When reading the chart the Ultra Fire BRC 18650 4000mAh has the longest yellow bar, meaning a longer running time which is what I'm looking for. The price for this battery online seems to be less than $8 dollars for 2 batteries + a charger, when the Ultra Fire BRC 18650 3000mAh is more expensive. How is that battery that cheap yet have such good test results?

Do you guys recommend that battery? Anything better for an XT 11 flashlight. I'm looking for the longest running time on an 18650 protected single cell.

Editing Post. I think I got it, the chart is a bar on top of a bar, which means something like the Keeppower 3400mAh would have the longest running time.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ,

What's the possibility of you adding to your list by testing this EFEST battery. Supplier says it's a Panasoic NCR18650B:

EFEST 18650 NCR18650B? (http://www.efestbattery.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=919)

I am willing to donate (send you) ONE battery, to get accurate analysis as you did with batteries on this list (hopefully shipping/mail is not outrageously expensive).

I have it on order, but it will probably be some time before it arrives.

I'm having a problem reading the chart. You mentioned a flashlight like the Klarus XT 10 or in my case a Klarus XT 11 which uses an XM-L U2, needs 3A. When reading the chart the Ultra Fire BRC 18650 4000mAh has the longest yellow bar, meaning a longer running time which is what I'm looking for. The price for this battery online seems to be less than $8 dollars for 2 batteries + a charger, when the Ultra Fire BRC 18650 3000mAh is more expensive. How is that battery that cheap yet have such good test results?

Do you guys recommend that battery? Anything better for an XT 11 flashlight. I'm looking for the longest running time on an 18650 protected single cell.

Editing Post. I think I got it, the chart is a bar on top of a bar, which means something like the Keeppower 3400mAh would have the longest running time.

Thanks.

Correct, this also means that when the yellow line is on top the battery cannot supply enough current for the 5A test.
You can get an idea about the runtime if you check the full comparison, there is also bar charts scaled in hours/minutes.

theFLASH12

Newly Enlightened
Great, hope you post it here as many of us are subscribed to the updates to this thread, and this is an excellent price for one of the best performing 18650 batteries listed THANKS!!!

I have it on order, but it will probably be some time before it arrives.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Great, hope you post it here as many of us are subscribed to the updates to this thread, and this is an excellent price for one of the best performing 18650 batteries listed THANKS!!!

I do not always post here when posting new reviews. In fact I am very much behind, since last update I have posted these:
Sanyo 18650 2600mAh (Red), Samsung ICR18650-28A 2800mAh (Purple), EnerPower+ 18650 2900mAh 3C (Blue), EnerPower+ 18650 2250mAh (Blue), EnerPower+ 18650 3400mAh (Blue), Hi-Max 18650 2600mAh (White), Keeppower 16650 2000mAh (Black), GTL 18650 5000mAh (Blue), Intl-Outdoor UR18650FM 2600mAh (Black)

The full list of my reviews is probably the best place to see if I have published new reviews, it is always in chronological order with newest entries at top (This list only includes batteries close to 18650 batteries in size).
There is a similar list for smaller batteries and 26650 batteries are on the same list as chargers and other battery stuff.

theFLASH12

Newly Enlightened
OK, no problem, thanks for the extra links. I'll check there frequently, although this list you put together (in this thread) is an excellent comparison against other existing 18650 batteries.....Thanks Again for your awesome work!

I do not always post here when posting new reviews. In fact I am very much behind, since last update I have posted these:
Sanyo 18650 2600mAh (Red), Samsung ICR18650-28A 2800mAh (Purple), EnerPower+ 18650 2900mAh 3C (Blue), EnerPower+ 18650 2250mAh (Blue), EnerPower+ 18650 3400mAh (Blue), Hi-Max 18650 2600mAh (White), Keeppower 16650 2000mAh (Black), GTL 18650 5000mAh (Blue), Intl-Outdoor UR18650FM 2600mAh (Black)

The full list of my reviews is probably the best place to see if I have published new reviews, it is always in chronological order with newest entries at top (This list only includes batteries close to 18650 batteries in size).
There is a similar list for smaller batteries and 26650 batteries are on the same list as chargers and other battery stuff.