2C Mags: not popular?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's got a great form factor, I've made one into a 3xCR123 host running a 6-cell bulb. My car light is a 2C Mag, sputtered reflector, 4-cell LED module, and (2) CR123's. Bright and handy!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always preferred D cell Maglites even though they are heavier and bulkier. They just feel more comfortable in my hands than the C cell ones. The C cell ones are all available from Action Lights if you still can't find them locally.

elumen8

Enlightened
C-cell Mags must be more popular here in San Jose than in other places...I find 2C, 3C and 4C all over town. I still run across elusive purple 2Cs now and then. I'm a Mag C-cell fan.

JB

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I think about how many purple and blue 2 C's I modded and sold why didn't I keep one for myself :green: I do have one puter and one grey that I will keep now one runs 9v and the other will use 3-4v when I get it built.
C

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one Will (wquiles) built for me. DFlex driver and Seoul SSC emitter. 2 x 18650
SS bezelguard and fluted SS cap. The light works very well and has a nice heft to it.
I also prefer the C size to the D size. Puts out probly 200 lumens give or take.
8 levels, very nice.

swampgator

Enlightened
I've got four of them and passed on a two more. My oldest is an '81 that had a short tailcap that I found cleaning out my barn a few years back. The others are all current vintage. I bought one recently for $8 when Rat Shack was closing them out.

1 is set up as the classic 3-123A KPR112, while another is a ROP Low, a third being a ROP high. One is still awaiting enhancement.

My local Home Depot has them in black and pewter. I'll probably get a pewter in the future, but really want a 3C.

I've got a notion to purchase a separate head and have someone turn it on a lathe to the shape of a Kel. Then duracoat it. I think someone on here had one done this way.

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
I've got four of them and passed on a two more. My oldest is an '81 that had a short tailcap that I found cleaning out my barn a few years back. The others are all current vintage. I bought one recently for $8 when Rat Shack was closing them out.

1 is set up as the classic 3-123A KPR112, while another is a ROP Low, a third being a ROP high. One is still awaiting enhancement.

My local Home Depot has them in black and pewter. I'll probably get a pewter in the future, but really want a 3C.

I've got a notion to purchase a separate head and have someone turn it on a lathe to the shape of a Kel. Then duracoat it. I think someone on here had one done this way.

Super idea! Post some pics if you do that!:wave:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw a Maglite Magnum-Star 5-cell bulb in there instead of the 6-cell bulb. The 5-cell bulb is driven a little harder and gets a bit more punch out of the light.

JB

+1 I have been using the 5-cell Magnum Star as well.The Mag 2C is the IT light for me as far as Maglites are concerned.Priced around $15 it is really a steal for what you get.The 4C and 3C are very nice but the 2C is such a convenient size and there are so many mod options.LED technology makes C cells a more viable power source than they were with incan bulbs.The simple addition of a LED drop-in makes for a very usefull utility light.I have a few 2Cs around :D now if I could just get a Malkoff or two.............

As far as finding them the Home Depots in my area have had them for a while.Another place to check if the well known stores don't have them would be local hardwares,the price will probably be higher but they may have them.

Last edited:

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I have a 2C waiting to get a SST-90 with D2flex fitted and a 3C waiting for something i'm thinking about ;)
I prefer the C's over the D's....same on women :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have always preferred the D build quality over the C. The D has tighter, slop-free bezel threads, and the switch feels smoother when pressed. The D also accepts C-diameter IMR cells, with an adapter tube and some easy DIY.

the C has to be bored out a little to accept IMR-C cells, but has a HUGE size advantage overall. The C is a great 2x18650 host though.

Either way its a WIN, and there are positives to both designs.:twothumbs

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
I love both C and D's, but I love my C's to either leave in the truck because they dont take up a whole lot of space or if I'm going out camping/fishing its a smaller more compact light than a D and lighter in weight which helps out a lot when having to carry it for a long way. I have 2, 2 C ROP's, which make a lot of light in a fairly small package. :cool:

Switch quality in the C has diminished some over the past few years IMO, the spring and switch assembly just feels a little more "clunky" than it used to.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a lot of C Mags because I used to base most of my builds on AW's protected "C" cells. But with those cells diminishing and unavailable for purchase, my mods are generally build for AccuEvolution NiMH cells, and the D cells have too much of a capacity advantage over the C's. Even when I use C cells, it's usually in D Mag hosts. I think I prefer the size of C Mags, but my hands are big enough that D Mags are still comfortable to carry.

For the last year or so, I've been carrying a ~1.5D or 2D on night hikes and extended outings. The size has never bothered me. Next weekend I'll be doing a hike with a 3D for the first time. We'll see how that goes.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Cant find them ANYwhere
(Target, Home Depot, Kmart)
They're perfect 2x18650 hosts

Just have to look harder.:poke:

000_1383.jpg

It helps if you can sweet-talk a local anodizing shop.:)

I've only seen black for awhile now at Home Depot. Wish I had bought more of the purple ones when they were available. I've got a deal pending on my last one right now. If only I'd have known......... The black also seemed to be drying up last I looked. Might have to grab some of those.

GarageBoy, PM sent.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
WOW, those 2C's are sweet.. I'd kill for that orange!! :hitit:

It's funny that I stumbled upon this thread because a modded 2C mag has actually become my current favorite light..

Here's my setup:

Black 2C (got on clearance at home depot for ~$9)
Bi-pin ceramic socket kit
Smooth aluminum reflector
Frosted stock magcharger bulb
Glass lens
2x unprotected 18650's (salvaged from a laptop pack)
Removed spring and de-anodised tailcap

The complete setup was cheap and very easy/fun to build. Actually fits comfortably in my front pocket, had great throw and battery life. Not sure of bulb life yet, but it's nice and white :D

--Paul

PM01

Newly Enlightened
I plan on doing a simple, direct drive SSC P4 (U bin) with one of these. Radio shack has the 2C on clearance for less than 7 bucks!

Or shall I stick with the Cree?