2mw eye safe?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Hello,

I understand that 5mw lasers can cause eye damage from looking into them directly. I have a 10mw green laser, a 5mw green laser, and many 5mw red lasers, and I know they are all very dangerous if viewed directly.

However, I recently bought a 2mw class 3R red laser for sfety reasons, and I was wondering how much safer is it than my 5mw class IIIa lasers if I accidentally shine it in my eyes? Is 2mw VERY safe compared to standard 5mw lasers?

Thanks

pyrokid3

Newly Enlightened
It is safe, to a certain degree. 5mw is the cut off, because they believe that anything above 5mw is dangerous. That being said 2mw can damage your eye, but you would have to stare directly at it. An accidental flash should be countered by your eye's blink reflex. I have been flashed by 15mw and I was fine (Although I should have been wearing eye protection).

So yes, it will be fine as long as you don't deliberately try to hurt your eyes.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
It is safe, to a certain degree. 5mw is the cut off, because they believe that anything above 5mw is dangerous. That being said 2mw can damage your eye, but you would have to stare directly at it. An accidental flash should be countered by your eye's blink reflex. I have been flashed by 15mw and I was fine (Although I should have been wearing eye protection).

So yes, it will be fine as long as you don't deliberately try to hurt your eyes.

Thank you very much.:thumbsup:

I was concerned because I am afraid of flashing my 5mw or 10mw lasers in someone else's eyes or my own, so I bought the 2mw so I could have a "safe" laser that I don't have to worry about, and now I know it is very safe.