2x AA, Simple modes, around $25-30

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to buy a flashlight for a mentor of mine and I'd like to keep it around $25.

He's currently using this light and he's happy with it, but he has seen a few of mine and expressed interest in their small size, extra brightness, modes, slim design, etc:
Energizer Tactical LED Flashlight

Link Removed, Please see the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Is there a light available that uses 2x AA (MAYBE 1xAA would be okay), is brighter than 125 lumens on high, has a low mode that doesn't require a bunch of tailcap button pushing and is available around $25-30?

He really likes my Quark QT2A but $70 is above my budget.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi TFin04. I can highly recommend the lights over at the shiningbeam website. Have a look at the Caveman and the Spark lights. Both use 2xAA, push out around 280+ lumens and are around the price range mentioned.

cpfyyz

Newly Enlightened
I paid I think $30US for a Nitecore MT2A on Ebay with free shipping.
Took me awhile to find a price that low though, I think they're usually closer to $40.

Really bright though at 345 lumens.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I really like my Fenix E25. It's close to your specs with 8/55/130 lumens (it comes on at the brightness you turned it off at), with a 260 lumen "burst mode" that I never use. Slightly more expensive at around $37. I've been looking at the less expensive, single-AA E12, but I think you might have some unwanted button pushing with that one.

chazz

Enlightened
Might look at the Eagtac P100A2, Klarus P2A, or Jetbeam BA20.

I would say Fenix E21 but they stopped making them :(

Last edited:

lightknoob

Newly Enlightened
i've had my solarforce t2 for about a week now and I'm loving it. granted i have very little knowledge about flashlights and don't have very many to compare it to but i love it for its simplicity UI, low riding pocket clip, fit and finish, and that it produces 300 lumens at high mode according to manufacture. for the price, it's a winner imho.

Solarforce T2 U2 XM-L led Pen size

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might look at the Eagtac P100A2, Klarus P2A, or Jetbeam BA20.

I would say Fenix E21 but they stopped making them :(

I've got both the P2A and the BA20. $40 and $45 shipped 3 years back, but maybe cheaper since they're somewhat dated. 245/20LM and 270/30LM, but pretty much identical in every way. Simple to use, so pretty much idiot proof and they come with clips and lanyards.

They're both part of my B.O.B. flashlight stash.

Chris

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are USA based then the Mini Maglite Pro has to be a contender at this price range. 272 lumens and will work better on alkaleaks than most other lights like this. Although getting them to use either NiMh (Eneloops) or Lithium Primaries would be a good thing.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to buy a flashlight for a mentor of mine and I'd like to keep it around $25.

He's currently using this light and he's happy with it, but he has seen a few of mine and expressed interest in their small size, extra brightness, modes, slim design, etc:
Energizer Tactical LED Flashlight

Is there a light available that uses 2x AA (MAYBE 1xAA would be okay), is brighter than 125 lumens on high, has a low mode that doesn't require a bunch of tailcap button pushing and is available around $25-30?

He really likes my Quark QT2A but $70 is above my budget.

Thanks.

One of the ones with high/low determined by head in tight/loose position, instead of cycling through them with button pressing, or worse repeated twisting.

Someone mentioned the ba20, or klarus p2a equivalent. Nitecore's mt21a & mt2a are kind of like that except on loose it's still cycle through instead of just low.

cpfyyz

Newly Enlightened
One of the ones with high/low determined by head in tight/loose position, instead of cycling through them with button pressing, or worse repeated twisting.

Someone mentioned the ba20, or klarus p2a equivalent. Nitecore's mt21a & mt2a are kind of like that except on loose it's still cycle through instead of just low.

I just got my Nitecore MT2A flashlight and haven't played around with it much but I think it is user programmable.
With the head tightened, I have it click-on Turbo and then a another click for low.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Shiningbeam Caveman. Those Shiningbeam Professional series lights have some of the best quality I've ever seen regardless of price range. I own a Blaze and gifted a Caveman. Better than the 47s and Fenix lights I've owned and used IMO (that includes Quark AA-Tac, AA2 Tac, Preon, L2D, E11, E25). For the money I don't think you could do any better. You get premium build quality, forward clicky, very decent output. The only downside I've seen is that the lower modes use PWM so the efficiency on the lower end is not as good as it could be, but the trade-off is that you get less of a green tint than some current controlled lights. The only reason I don't own a Caveman of my own is that I am not a huge fan of 2xAA lights, I prefer 1x18650 instead, haha but now typing this out I am kind of tempted to get one regardless.

Brian at Shiningbeam is super responsive and I always get items very quickly even in Canada. Remember to use the CPF discount code if you go that route, I don't think I'm supposed to just post it so PM me if you need it.

Last edited:

tubed

Enlightened
Surprised no one has mentioned the Rayovac Indestructible 2xAA at about $15. 100 lumems high I think (seems much higher). 2 modes.
I have two. Narrow beam but otherwise can't be beat.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
Surprised no one has mentioned the Rayovac Indestructible 2xAA at about $15. 100 lumems high I think (seems much higher). 2 modes.
I have two. Narrow beam but otherwise can't be beat.

I was going to suggest this as well as it's pretty sturdy as well. But I don't think I can buy a light with plastic lens anymore. Scratches too easily.

Just looked at the caveman mentioned earlier. Great price for 2xAA xml.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Shiningbeam Caveman. Those Shiningbeam Professional series lights have some of the best quality I've ever seen regardless of price range.

Brian at Shiningbeam is super responsive and I always get items very quickly even in Canada. Remember to use the CPF discount code if you go that route, I don't think I'm supposed to just post it so PM me if you need it.

2-3 years back I bought Brian's I-Mini and then I bought another for my little nephew. Not long after that, knowing that primary 123As were spendy, I bought both of us the 1xAA extender tube and then a 2xAA extender tube for me.

Now, with a 16340 li-ion, we're getting only 260ish lumens, but it's a variable output head with a rear forward clicky and a simple twisty action.

No clip and no tail standing, but it legos quite nicely and compares in output to my Klarus P2A and JeatBeam BA20.

All of that stuff above was still cheaper than either of the two above lights, IIRC.

Chris

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
Also take a look into the Nitecore MT21A, which seems to be pretty cheap, around and below $30.
uses 2AA batteries http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?368745-New-Nitecore-MT21A

I still have a Klarus P2A, which I upgraded to a newer XPG2 led, and its probably the simplest of all. (upgrading was a realy pain though.. not recommended, couldnt get the head apart)
2 modes. Head tightened High, head loosened Low.
Low is around 30 lumens, High about 250lumens.