3 Piece Rock Bands

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Based on the crowd reaction @ Wembley Stadium, fair to say there'd be a couple votes for Muse

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Saw Agent Orange while in High School '85 I think
They all singed my Vision skateshirt (of Gator doing a frontside boneless on vert)

edit: date

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nirvana covered alot of Meat Puppets songs, not entirely sure why.
Both are 3-piece bands
In Nirvana's Mtv Unplugged the two long haired dudes that roll out and play are Cris & Curt Kirkwood of the Puppets.

Huevos is their fifth album from '87
I'v only seen the Puppets live.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

almost forgot Morphine

1704057193505.jpeg

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Rush, Triumph, ZZ Top, Steve Morse band with Dave LaRue on bass, Stevie Ray - although I actually went to the SRV show to see Jeff Beck who was touring with him.
Saw guitarists Al Dimeola, John McGlaughlin, & Paco DeLucea, not a rock band, but 3 amazing musicians.

Lost count of how many times I saw Rush, somewhere around 16 - 18. Had a backstage for Rush & Candlebox in Pittsburgh, the night before Candlebox went on the Letterman show. My friend in the recording studio equipment business knows Skip Gildersleeve, Geddy's bass tech. I met Skip and watched the show right beside Geddy's basses. I could have reached out and touched them, but I didn't. Got to watch the sound check in the afternoon and eat a catered dinner with the road crew, but Rush members didn't participate. Didn't meet them - they're very private.

Played in two 3 piece rock bands myself. One of them did lots of Rush tunes. My bass player / vocalist had the same foot pedals & similar keyboards as Geddy. He did a great job on Limelight. Drummer had double bass. Tons of fun.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good bump!!
I plan on bringing in the new year watching Exit Stage Left if I can stay awake that long.

I did not realize Violent Femmes was a 3 piece band. I also did not know they played "folk music" 😱

IMG_2550.jpeg

The top 100 3 piece bands according to "entertainment.expertscolumn.com

Last edited:

scottk2112

Newly Enlightened
Rush, Triumph, ZZ Top, Steve Morse band with Dave LaRue on bass, Stevie Ray - although I actually went to the SRV show to see Jeff Beck who was touring with him.
Saw guitarists Al Dimeola, John McGlaughlin, & Paco DeLucea, not a rock band, but 3 amazing musicians.

Lost count of how many times I saw Rush, somewhere around 16 - 18. Had a backstage for Rush & Candlebox in Pittsburgh, the night before Candlebox went on the Letterman show. My friend in the recording studio equipment business knows Skip Gildersleeve, Geddy's bass tech. I met Skip and watched the show right beside Geddy's basses. I could have reached out and touched them, but I didn't. Got to watch the sound check in the afternoon and eat a catered dinner with the road crew, but Rush members didn't participate. Didn't meet them - they're very private.

Played in two 3 piece rock bands myself. One of them did lots of Rush tunes. My bass player / vocalist had the same foot pedals & similar keyboards as Geddy. He did a great job on Limelight. Drummer had double bass. Tons of fun.
I'm a huge SMB and Rush fan! Can believe you got to meet Skip! That's amazing!!! Dave Larue is such an amazing bass player too! I like Geddy more but Larue is amazing!!!

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'm a huge SMB and Rush fan! Can believe you got to meet Skip! That's amazing!!! Dave Larue is such an amazing bass player too! I like Geddy more but Larue is amazing!!!
Haha, yep, I love Geddy AND Larue. Larue has that amazing twangy sound, studio and live as well. I saw Steve Morse with Dave at a small club in Pittsburgh. It was amazing. Also saw a Dregs reunion outdoor show in Pittsburgh. Got right down by the stage for a while. I could have grabbed Morse by the foot. Got one of his guitar picks with his name printed on it afterward, but now I can't find it, dammit. Even that close, I couldn't cop any of his licks on the guitar. He is so blindingly fast and complex.

My friend who introduced me to Skip also knows Tom Keiffer, vocalist / guitarist for Cinderella very well. Tom sat right behind me at my friend's wedding in Philadelphia. At the reception, I went right over to his table and sat down and started talking to him about guitars. He was cool, and down to earth. I'm not a huge Cinderella fan, but they have a few tunes I like.

Now if it would have been Alex Lifeson, I'd have probably been acting like a bumbling schoolgirl, haha. He's one of the biggest influences on my playing, of anyone. Learned tons of Rush tunes over the years, and have the Electric Mistress flanger that really gets his sound. Always wished I would have asked Skip if I could plink around on one of Geddy's basses for half a minute after the sound check before he wiped them down. Probably would have said no, but ya never know.

scottk2112

Newly Enlightened

Played in two 3 piece rock bands myself. One of them did lots of Rush tunes. My bass player / vocalist had the same foot pedals & similar keyboards as Geddy. He did a great job on Limelight. Drummer had double bass. Tons of

Haha, yep, I love Geddy AND Larue. Larue has that amazing twangy sound, studio and live as well. I saw Steve Morse with Dave at a small club in Pittsburgh. It was amazing. Also saw a Dregs reunion outdoor show in Pittsburgh. Got right down by the stage for a while. I could have grabbed Morse by the foot. Got one of his guitar picks with his name printed on it afterward, but now I can't find it, dammit. Even that close, I couldn't cop any of his licks on the guitar. He is so blindingly fast and complex.

My friend who introduced me to Skip also knows Tom Keiffer, vocalist / guitarist for Cinderella very well. Tom sat right behind me at my friend's wedding in Philadelphia. At the reception, I went right over to his table and sat down and started talking to him about guitars. He was cool, and down to earth. I'm not a huge Cinderella fan, but they have a few tunes I like.

Now if it would have been Alex Lifeson, I'd have probably been acting like a bumbling schoolgirl, haha. He's one of the biggest influences on my playing, of anyone. Learned tons of Rush tunes over the years, and have the Electric Mistress flanger that really gets his sound. Always wished I would have asked Skip if I could plink around on one of Geddy's basses for half a minute after the sound check before he wiped them down. Probably would have said no, but ya never know.
That's amazing. What cool experiences you've had! When Dave L was living in Jersey, he gave bass lessons to one of my friends who had a Dregs cover band. That same friend is also buds with Tommy Alderson who is Steve's tech. Tommy was my neighbor and could play Steve note for note using the same Music Man. I went to at least 2 SMB shows with Tommy before he ran off with Steve, LOL!

I've seen Steve at some pretty small clubs and he's so approachable. He's signed several of my Dregs and SMB CD covers. I even got him to sign a Rush cover album called Working Men. He played La Villa Strangiato on it. I watched the Dregs play with Dream Theater in Philly and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to outside of a Rush show.

I also saw the Dregs at the Keswick Theater outside of Philly, where Steve had a broken wrist. He was fooling around on his son's skateboard. It was amazing. He didn't miss a note. Even on a time like "I'm Freaking Out" with all that complexity. If not for the cast and the look on Steve's face, you'd never know he was injured based on his playing. A miraculous feat! It was Tumeni notes!!! Forgive the SMB pun!

Now if so ever for within a few feet of Big Al, I'd lose my words. I wouldn't know where to begin. I hear he's very nice to fans. Hands down my favorite player. I could go on forever writing about favorite players but Alex and Steve are at the top of my list. His new amp company is pretty exciting. I really want to hear them play live just once more. Neil's loss must be incomprehensible to Alex and Geddy. I can't imagine.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I love "I'm Freaking Out", and luv Dreamtheater - Saw them just once.

That's great that you got to meet Steve. I have some of his instructional vids, and you can tell he's down to earth. I got some good tips from those vids that I put to use, regarding amps and sound.

Yes, total bummer about Neil. My friend that I was in a band with caught one of Neil's sticks - it actually practically landed right in his lap. He had it hanging in the practice room where we jammed. Then one day all of the drum sticks were broken, and he started using it. I tried to talk him out of it and told him that Neil put every nick in that stick. He started using it, then broke it, and I don't know what ever became of it. That dude never took care of anything.