4S AA holder?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Hi all!

I've a piece of equipment that takes an obscure 6v alkaline battery, it was supplied with a dead battery which I tore down, turns out it's just 4xAA alkalines welded in series with a branded heatshrink over the top and a contact plate either end.

Does anyone know of any sources for a cylindrical 4xAA series holder with + and – at opposite ends? I've tried modding the generic 4S "block" holder with wires but making decent terminal plated at the top and bottom is a pain in the rear.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

sbslider

Enlightened
Hi all!

I've a piece of equipment that takes an obscure 6v alkaline battery, it was supplied with a dead battery which I tore down, turns out it's just 4xAA alkalines welded in series with a branded heatshrink over the top and a contact plate either end.

Does anyone know of any sources for a cylindrical 4xAA series holder with + and – at opposite ends? I've tried modding the generic 4S "block" holder with wires but making decent terminal plated at the top and bottom is a pain in the rear.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
If you mean the product that is cylindrical and holds 4 AA cells in series to generate ~6V, there are several light manufacturers that build 4AA lights, like the Thrunite TN4A, I think Nitecore makes oine, and I know there is at least one more (likely several). Maybe reach out to customer service to see if they would provide the battery holder only? For the TN4A, the + and _ are both available on both ends, so you can likely modify/configure it how you like. The small screws pick up the - (as well as the trace all the way around) and the center contact is +, and can be unscrewed if desired.

http://i.imgur.com/NwLOWGY.jpg from http://budgetlightforum.com/node/49678

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies! I had a look at battery carriers as spares, most have both poles at one or both ends, they'd require some minor modifications to work.

Fivemega, your cell carriers were the first I thought of but couldn't find the page. The space for the carrier might be too small for one of your holders. What's the total length of a 4AA carrier? And what's the diameter of the + pole on top?

Thanks!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Could you please add a photo of the original battery?

I'm away at the moment so don't have it to hand, I think I still have it in it's disassembled state somewhere, will post a photo in a week!

It was literally 4 duracell procell batteries (old style ones, like these) connected with welded tabs in series and arranged side-by-side to form a cubeoid. Large diameter contact plates (think, diameter of a D cell's -'ve end) at top and bottom. Heavy duty shrink-wrap applied over the top to give a roughly D-sized battery. Branding and part numbers etc applied to outside.

Cheers!