4Sevens Quark Round-up Review: Q123, QAA, Q123-2, QAA-2 - RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, etc

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4Sevens Quark Round-up Review: Q123, QAA, Q123-22, QAA-2 - RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS,

Thanks for another great review, selfbuilt!

I've got a Tactical warm-tint 1 x CR123a on pre-order, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Perhaps, with the forward clicky of the Tactical, 4Sevens will see fit to anodize at least one end of the body tube, to allow tailcap lockout. On a reverse clicky, I don't see it as such a big deal. On a forward clicky, lockout would be greatly desired.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4Sevens Quark Round-up Review: Q123, QAA, Q123-22, QAA-2 - RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS,

I`ll add another heap of praise. Great job Selfbuilt!

I`ll have to reread a few more times to get the full picture but as you pointed out these seem optimized more toward LI-ion batts :)

They don`t really stand out in any one area (well, maybe in the quality of the beam itself...wide spill, tight hot spot for throw, tint on the warmer side)...but they do perform well in all.

Good value...bang for the buck light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the support everyone - sorry I can't respond to you all individually, but I appreciated the :grouphug:

While I know you have the format of your reviews down to a well-organized science, that is still a lot of lights and a lot of work......
One question - do you eat and sleep? I am sure half of your bed room is stuffed with flashlights and its accessories.
you've got the patience & you've got the time - plenty of oil you have burned during night time :)
What can I say, the lightbox has been smokin' on this one - I've had some sort of Quark in there continuously for the last 6 days! And I think I've also set a record for my longest review length yet. :rolleyes:

This did indeed require a lot of burning of the midnight oil - it only works because my wife needs an extra 2 hours sleep a night. :kiss: As some members know, my runtimes are mainly automated during the day, but I do all the number crunching and writing in the evenings after my wide nods off (thank goodness for laptops ;)).

the Quarks have "short-term" memory, rather than none at all, as you stated. Switch one on in general mode (head loosened), then click to a higher level than Moonlight (say, high, or even Beacon), then twist the head to Max. Now twist it back to general mode, without turning the light off and see what happens. :poke:
Yes, you are quite right - I had noticed that during testing, but thought the review length was getting to be a bit much. Still, it is worth a mention, so I will slip in a reference up above.

Thanks for your reviews! I'm really suprised by the 2AA's performance when especially when compared to the P100A2.
Yes, I was originally bit disappointed too - but to be fair, the P100A2 is a dedicated 2AA light, with a custom circuit optimized for 2AA performance (and only two levels to boot). The Quark QAA, QAA-2, and Q123 all use the same multi-power and multi-level circuit, so it's not surprising it has to give up the gain to a dedicated one like the P100A2.

Lightbox min and Lightbox max are a little bit unclear. :thinking: And what is the ceiling bounce good for? :sigh:
"Lightbox Max" refers to the relative output reading captured in my lightbox on the light's max setting. My lightbox is based on similar principles as Doug (Quickbeam) developed for his outstanding flashlightreviews.com (lightbox instructions now available here: FR lightbox/overall output). Basically, this is a a very simple and easy way to capture the overall output of a light. Note that each lighbox is unique, so the output numbers are completely relative (i.e. why no lux/lumen estimate is given). But you can compare across lights tested in the same box. "Lightbox Min" is simply the lowest output the light can do.

"Ceiling Bounce" refers to another simple way to measure output (again on Max, in my case). These are done with the flashlight in candle-mode on the floor next to a lux light-meter (both pointing up toward the ceiling), in a small room with no windows, such as a closet or small bathroom. The measurement you get is the result of the diffuse light hitting the sensor after bouncing off the ceiling (and four walls) of the room. Again, every room is different, so you can't compare one person's ceiling bounce numbers to another - but they do give you another simple way to compare outputs across lights for a given room/light meter.

I present both results so you can decide for yourself which you prefer to go by. Personally, I tend to trust the lightbox for low output lights like most of the lights reviewed here (the scale is a lot more sensitive at the low end). It is also far more consistent - if I do another run tomorrow, I know the results typically won't vary by more than 1-2% in output readings (whereas I could easily see up to 10-15% variation in ceiling bounce tests from day to day do to exact placement, etc.). Where the ceiling bounce has the most value for me is for really high-powered lights (like the MC-E/P7 lights, or heavy throwers). I know the lightbox tends to underestimate those, since it is too small to really integrate the beams much.

The part that caught my attention was the 123-2 running on 2 *RCR123's. A 17 minute runtime!!!!!!!
The runtime for the Q123x2 on 2xRCR123 is really kinda disapionting, but expected. But from the looks of the Q123x2 head runs pretty good on a single 17670 battery? I thought the 1x123 head would have been better suited? Any chance you tested the 1x123 head on the 2x123 body with the 17670 battery?
Since the 17670 is rated at 1600mah running it in a 1xbattery head, You think the runtime would be roughly double the runtime of the light you tested on the 14500 rated at 750mah?
I agree with Chaoticwhisper, assuming 123^2 has the same brightness as 123 head on Hi, Med, Lo and Moonlight mode, for me the best combination would be a 123 head on a 123^2 body and run with 17670.
This is an interesting idea - my only concern is that I wouldn't want someone to accidentally stick 2xCR123A/RCR into the Q123-2 body with a QAA/Q123 head and :poof: the circuit. But you are right, this would be a good way to get the longer runtime of 1x17670 battery on the standard QAA/Q123 head. I'll try a runtime and see how it compares to Q123-2 on 17670.

Incidentally, I have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with my RCR batteries - I tried them again the Olight M20, and got over an hour of runtime before I stopped the run (still reading above 3.7V). Recharged and put back into the Q123-2, I got 17.5 mins before the protection circuits were tripped. :huh:

Did you have any problems with the RCR's fitting in the 123x2?
They fit fine .. RCR is actually 16340 size, and even my thicker AW protected 17670 fits (although it is tight). That same 17670 wouldn't fit in my Fenix P3D, Solarforce T7, or Olight T20 or I20 (all of which take RCR fine).

Given the choice between reversible clip and lock-out tailcap, I (personally) would prefer the lock-out tailcap every time, but YMMV. Perhaps the thread anodisation that would be needed for this is something 4sevens will consider as an option for future runs.
From your lips to the other David's ear. ;) I agree with you - I personally store all my lights locked-out.

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

i just got mine,very small for an AA cell light,very nice warm tint,very nice moon mode even on 14500 :)

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review here! Fantastic collection of data. I love reading all your takes on these things and you do a fantastic job with your output testing and beamshot comparisons.

I'm still working on the writeup of my samples but look for them soon.

Xak

Enlightened
Are the QAA with 14500 and Q123 with RCR123 the same brightness and runtimes? You did say they have the same circuit and if those batteries have the same voltage they should be the same brightness, right?

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Thanks selfbuilt, superb job! A thorough and objective review with pros and cons, esp great runtime data. These lights aren't perfect but they do have some selling points.

:goodjob:

... and the 17 min 'trip' time is odd with the 123x2... I'll probably grab a 123x1 as a new EDC but it looks like I may want to wait for the next version of the 123x2 before replacing my ol' P3D.

Last edited:

JWP_EE

Enlightened
4Sevens list a 6 hour runtime for the Quark AA and 24 hours for the 2AA on medium. That is 4X longer which I had a hard time believing. The 12+ hours you got for the AA on medium sounds a lot better.

As everyone else I thank you for all your hard work.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review!:clap:

Do you think you will be getting any of the Q3 5A warm versions to compare runtime and output with these?

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Thank you so much for the review selfbuild!

you must have spent alot of hrs doing this review!

i got a question though you said this: "Performance on 2xAA (NiMH or alkaline) seems a little lower than I would have expected (especially on higher outputs). I don't think this is a one-off issue of my QAA-2, as I tested the QAA head on the 2xAA body and got similar performance. Of course, no one recommends you run alkalines on Max on heavily-driven modern lights … but if you really want to, you may be better off sticking with actual Fenix lights. "

I plan on buying a QAA-2 tactical..and i plan to use eneloops in them...is eneloops not recommneded for this flashlight? or is it just that the output on max isnt as good as it is with 1 cr123a?

and i notice you have a TK20...is there a chance you can take a picture of the tk20 side by sides standing up on end next to the QAA-2? thank you!

wapkil

Enlightened
Thank you for all the information and data - excellent review.

I took the numbers from the review to make some comparison between the Quarks. I thought it may be interesting also for others to look at it gathered if a few tables - I hope it would be ok to put them here:

EDIT: tables removed until the decision what to do with them

There was quite a lot of numbers to copy so there may be some errors here.

(images can be clicked for the full size)

It looks like the Quarks have generally best efficiency on med (18lm) followed by hi (70lm). There are some runtimes lower than in the specification but, as discussed earlier, some of the runtimes are almost 2 times (!) higher than specified (18lm for QAA NiMH and 70lm for Q123-2 CR123).

I'm not sure how to interpret the measured output values. Is there a linear dependence between the "lightbox max" figure and the lumen output?

It doesn't seem to work for me. When I tried to compare the "lightbox max" to the specification e.g. the Quark AA should have 170lm and 90lm for Li-Ion and NiMH (~1.9x difference) but with "lightbox max" the difference is only ~1.4x (75 and 54) :shrug:

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on buying a QAA-2 tactical..and i plan to use eneloops in them...is eneloops not recommneded for this flashlight? or is it just that the output on max isnt as good as it is with 1 cr123a?
I believe that what he was saying there is that strictly Alkaline Primaries are not quite the best idea to run full tilt on Max with. Eneloop LSD Ni-MH cells should be pretty good still, just a little lower output apparently.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting.. my runtime graphs were not as flat. how often do you take readings?

all in all.. nice review!

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
I believe that what he was saying there is that strictly Alkaline Primaries are not quite the best idea to run full tilt on Max with. Eneloop LSD Ni-MH cells should be pretty good still, just a little lower output apparently.

Thanks, thats what i was thinking also!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
No lock tail cap lock out is a no go for me. I lock out my lights when not used and 100% of the time in my pack as learned the hard way things tend to get turned on in my backpack. For EDC I don't lock out a light so for this I guess it is a non issue. Maybe if 4sevens makes a lock out anodized tail cap version with warm tint it would be more appealing to me. But everyone has different needs.

Great review.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Excellent review Selfbuilt! Did you notice the flash of somewhat brighter light when changing modes? I though I read that there was a slight pre-flash, but not as bad as some of the older Fenix lights.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
No lock tail cap lock out is a no go for me. I lock out my lights when not used and 100% of the time in my pack as learned the hard way things tend to get turned on in my backpack. For EDC I don't lock out a light so for this I guess it is a non issue. Maybe if 4sevens makes a lock out anodized tail cap version with warm tint it would be more appealing to me. But everyone has different needs.

Great review.
The reverse clickie is pretty stiff, I think it would be ok in a backpack. Just keep the head loosend and it won't much matter if it does get turned on, for about 30 days anyway.