780 Lumens 4Sevens Quark Burst Mode QP2L-X

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys, let me explain.

The soft fade on the QP2L-X BM I'm talking about is when you are on med or high with a loose bezel, and then you switch back and forth with max by tightening and loosing the bezel - the light "softly fades" brighter and dimmer with max reducing both the contrast and switch over speed, if for example, you wanted to single Morse Code. The low voltage XML works like an on/off switch when alternating between max and ANY lower mode.

Reason this important to me is that I use a work-around to produce a single-handed momentary max "switch" from ON (ie, any lower mode in use) on the Pro UI and I want the instantaneous response and hard contrast. It essentially works like car high beam flashers and has become my favorite UI "feature" of any light. If you are using a loose bezel lower mode but are close to the tight bezel activation line, then any sideways press on the head will momentarily activate max for as long as pressure is applied - release pressure, and the light returns to the previously used lower mode. You don't need to actually twist the head (which means it can be done single-handedly), and the battery spring and o-ring will always default the light back to the loose bezel position (which means max is truly momentary). With an underhand grip you just press on the bezel with your thumb, and with an overhand grip, you position a pinkie under the bezel, and thumb under the tailcap and just squeeze - there's plenty of finesse to signal a fast Morse Code... but not with a soft fade in there.

Uses?... I walk my dog on the 3 lumen low (I like my night vision) and use the momentary max "switch" to 1) spot him off leash at distance; 2) fire off a couple millisecond flashes at approaching cars to warn them pedestrians are ahead 3) check that bump in the woods. Same thing checking the bump in the night at home... I'll walk around inspecting the house on moonlight or low, yet ready to instantly fire off 400 or 800 lumens if I need. To be honest, I couldn't imagine trying to do this with a true tactical UI (momentary max from OFF) - what are going to do, blind yourself trying to clear your home with the light on? or stumble around in the dark with the light off? And imagine the effectiveness of a defensive flashlight that softly faded up from 5>800 lumens ;).

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like reppans, I've done this for years with various 4Sevens lights - great feature!
I also use this technique with my D25A Ti.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

The soft fade on the QP2L-X BM I'm talking about is when you are on med or high with a loose bezel, and then you switch back and forth with max by tightening and loosing the bezel - the light "softly fades" brighter and dimmer with max reducing both the contrast and switch over speed, if for example, you wanted to single Morse Code. The low voltage XML works like an on/off switch when alternating between max and ANY lower mode.

Reason this important to me is that I use a work-around to produce a single-handed momentary max "switch" from ON (ie, any lower mode in use) on the Pro UI and I want the instantaneous response and hard contrast. It essentially works like car high beam flashers and has become my favorite UI "feature" of any light. If you are using a loose bezel lower mode but are close to the tight bezel activation line, then any sideways press on the head will momentarily activate max for as long as pressure is applied - release pressure, and the light returns to the previously used lower mode. You don't need to actually twist the head (which means it can be done single-handedly), and the battery spring and o-ring will always default the light back to the loose bezel position (which means max is truly momentary). With an underhand grip you just press on the bezel with your thumb, and with an overhand grip, you position a pinkie under the bezel, and thumb under the tailcap and just squeeze - there's plenty of finesse to signal a fast Morse Code... but not with a soft fade in there.

Uses?... I walk my dog on the 3 lumen low (I like my night vision) and use the momentary max "switch" to 1) spot him off leash at distance; 2) fire off a couple millisecond flashes at approaching cars to warn them pedestrians are ahead 3) check that bump in the woods. Same thing checking the bump in the night at home... I'll walk around inspecting the house on moonlight or low, yet ready to instantly fire off 400 or 800 lumens if I need. To be honest, I couldn't imagine trying to do this with a true tactical UI (momentary max from OFF) - what are going to do, blind yourself trying to clear your home with the light on? or stumble around in the dark with the light off? And imagine the effectiveness of a defensive flashlight that softly faded up from 5>800 lumens ;).

Thanks for the clarification and explanation -
as you see your personal terminology of "soft fade" cause some confusion -

BUT it was worth it, for your description of a great undocumented feature.

I like it that one CAN do Morse coding switching between moonlight and Burst/Max modes -
taking advantage of the play in the head screw threads -
or just have momentary Burst/Max from any of the lower (loosened head) modes.

Also thank you for the hint of sideways pressure - that works a treat too.

Thanks,

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like reppans, I've done this for years with various 4Sevens lights - great feature!
I also use this technique with my D25A Ti.

haha... great to hear another user of this "feature" SCEMan - very rare indeed :).

I don't find it works well on my D25A Ti though - light aways defaults back the lowest level so you can't alternate between med/max (for example), three quick flashes will reprogram the light (same with the Quark Tacticals), and the threads are too tight/o-ring too thin and so activation is not "reliable." :(

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification and explanation -
as you see your personal terminology of "soft fade" cause some confusion -

BUT it was worth it, for your description of a great undocumented feature.

My pleasure, and apologies to all for the confusion caused by my terminology.

As far as some of the other undocumented features - you might be interested in THIS

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
reppans,

Thanks for the clarification of the soft fade. I long ago discovered the sideways pressure trick by accident. While I have never used it as a feature, I will keep it in mind now and likely use it in the future.

After all of this discussion, I decided not to get the head with burst mode. My main reason for getting the QP2A-X in the first place was to have an EDC light that would also function as a SHTF light. I don't have a solar charger yet, but I will be getting one soon. My wife lost her Thrunite Neutron that she carries, so I used the 4th of July sale to buy her another light just like mine. Got her the whole package, the complete QP2A-X light, a single AA body, deep carry clip and turbo flat tailcap. She already had a prism kit because I bought it for her Neutron. So, now we will both have our 2xAA bodies in our bug out bags and carry the 1xAA light for EDC.

I may still buy the BM head as an EDC toy, but this thread reminded me how versatile the LV heads are and why I got it in the first place. Thanks for the discussion.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... sorry for the earlier confusion. I also came across the momentary max thing years ago and never really used it; actually it used to annoy me (loose threads). But all the new logo stuff now seems to have just the right "tension" to it, and now I can't live without it :).

Yup, I think a QP2A-X on a 1AA tube running a 3v CRAA is the all-time best SHTF/camping light ever - check out the Tips & Tricks thread I linked above - some good Quark SHTF stuff in there :D.

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened

Wow ! Thank you very much, I just tried it and it is fantastic, it will be very useful for my needs. This is really an undocumented feature and should be in the user's manual.