90 CRI "Full-Spectrum Strip LED" Desk Lamp at Fry's

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a "Full-Spectrum Strip LED" desk lamp from Fry's.
It claims a CRI of 90 on the box, and I can believe it. The color is great!

The LED is a strip that appears to have about 25 LED elements in the space of an inch.
Seems to be well heatsunk. Has a 3 year warrantee. Dimmable over quite a wide range.
Full brightness is as bright as you'd want for a desk lamp.

"Digitron Electronics", whoever they are.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Is the tint cool, neutral, or warm? I'm asking because I've been hoping against hope that someone would make high-CRI cool LEDs, or at least high-CRI cooler than usual neutrals (say around 5000K). I love the way the high-CRI warm and neutral emitters bring out the reds, but I'm not really big on their "off-white" tint.

And it's nice to see a product live up to the claims on the packaging for a change. :thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a "Full-Spectrum Strip LED" desk lamp from Fry's.
It claims a CRI of 90 on the box, and I can believe it. The color is great!

The LED is a strip that appears to have about 25 LED elements in the space of an inch.
Seems to be well heatsunk. Has a 3 year warrantee. Dimmable over quite a wide range.
Full brightness is as bright as you'd want for a desk lamp.

"Digitron Electronics", whoever they are.
Thanks for the headsup. I might have to go check it out. BTW this is the wrong forum.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
> wrong forum.

It could go in fixed lighting because it is a lamp,
but it was the characteristics of the strip LED in the lamp that were of the most interest to me.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds kinda cool, wish I had a frys around here. I think this sort of thing is great. One area where fixed led lighting is really taking off is boating. Hopefully it carries over to the home, who knows maybe we'll get 12v sockets one day. Thanks Andy!

Last edited:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
wish I had a frys around here.

You can get it from their website:
http://www.frys.com/product/5883193?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You can also get it direct from the manufacturer at www.lunasea.com, but it costs $30 more there.

One area where fixed led lighting is really taking off is boating.

All of the rest of the products on the lunasea.com website are cabin lamps for yachts and RVs (and the desk lamp could easily be used there too, as it will run on 12-15 volts).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering if they get the high CRI from using special high CRI LEDs such as McGizmo LUNAsol or mixing different tinted LEDs such as Cree's LR6. Can you see any difference between the tint of the LEDs?

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint is completely uniform. I'd say just a hair cooler than the Nichia 083s that McGizmo has been selling.
I have a Sunbar (Creebar populated with Nichia 083s) set up next to it.

The LED strip looks like nothing I have seen before.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks about right. I knew I had seen those before but couldn't place where.

So, Mike, about the other led of which we do not speak. Is the NDA up yet?:poke::devil: