A 10 year or 87,600 hour LED test!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased this LED desk lamp from batteryjunction sometime back in 2007. I just realized the other day it has been about 10 years! This light has been on my dresser and also serves as a nightlight. It has never been turned off (except for power outages) and it has been working flawlessly. I would estimate it to be about 30 lumens and I doubt its being driven to its full potential. I'm pretty sure its a early version lux emitter or possibly a lux 3?

I thought this was an interesting observation and just wanted to share. That would be about approx 87,600 hours correct? Who knows, maybe I will get 10 more years out of it. :thumbsup:

2017-01-07 07.58.37.jpg

2017-01-07 08.00.57.jpg

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I wondered if anyone had done any super long term tests like that. Pretty cool.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
you beat my nightlight by 5 years.
mine is a cheap plastic #93 bulb light with the transformer only as ballast(weight)
a engineering sample k2 tffc on a small chipset heatsink running at 500ma.
just a usb cable and resistor for current limiting.
i found 2 of these at a yardsale new in package.
modded both exactly the same.
one has been going 24/7/365 on hi.i added a second resistor on the hi-lo switch to go 100ma-500ma.
its always on hi.
the other packed back in its box unused.last week i compared the 2.
both have identical output within a few % on a luxmeter.
but you can see the aging of the shiny metal and the dome is a wee bit cloudy on the used one.and it has an ever so slightly warmer tint now.
i will report back in 5 more years.i noted the current and height above the table for future reference as the control was put into service.
since this unit has been turned off twice in 5 years this does not tell us anything about the leds resistance to thermal cycling.
it is on a 12v usb outlet on my solar setup.
light emitting dude your led is a luxeon III

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing

Though it`s usually the driver electronic that die long before the led, But the colour of the light can change as the led ages.

John
Very true. I have had a few LED light bulbs die within a year or so. Hopefully they can improve the electronics to last as long as the LED.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bet the desklamp in question here runs from a 5v wallwart and has a resistor.very little to fail.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for sharing! That is good to hear.

I use each of my modded trail lights a maximum of 1 hour a week. I have a rotation set up!

Anyway, if the electronics never fail,at that rate[1h/week] the LED'S would still be working well past my 5,000th B'day!! Lol!