archimedes

Flashaholic
I found a couple more old photos ...

3BdB5nS.jpg

2IZytMX.jpg

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simply wonderful thread. Thanks Hondo for starting it. :thumbsup:

I think it would be a great place to post pics of rare, unusual and prototypes HDS.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff!

Here are a few of my most used:

IMG_1157_zps0yjudwzs.jpg~original

The B42 is what started all of this, I put a Seoul P4 in it, 250-clicked the Force Setting off, and Simple Momentary on - Ti bezel, of course. The Novatac 120P is the real-deal, USA, while Henry was still there - wearing a HDS 2x123 tube, see below. I modded that one with a HCRI Seoul P4 - BEAUTIFUL. The Novatac Classic has to stand at the back of the class with Fenix (sorry, wife would not let me name the cat Henry). It is the last of the Novatacs before they went under, made in China. But for the very attractive clearance price, it provides a 2xAA tube that fits the other first gen. lights, and can run with the 18650 set-up below [Bzzzt, wrong! Classic heads are only rated for 3.5 volts, so two Energizer AA lithium primaries, or you could use it on a CR123 tube with primaries only] [aaand... double correct - Hogo confirmed that they are the same driver voltage, those guys changed nothing that Henry did. I've run it on 18650 now with absolutely no problems]. Still has my favorite interface, but flickers often on the really low levels.

IMG_1158_zpsjzoprenl.jpg~original

Hogokansatsukan came up with this hardware hack - replace the negative contact spring with a flat brass bar, and you make room for an 18650. The length needs to be just right, with an inward curl at the top to hit the negative on the PCB (don't overdo it, or you can hit the positive, ouch!), but then it is very reliable. Just be ready for a loose piece when you open it to charge, which is not very often. NEVER put two of any kind of 123's in there on a Novatac, though, they are 4.2 volts max. Lighthound scored hundreds of these tubes after the original series was discontinued, and let the last of them go for $1.99.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
As good as Henry's new stuff is there is just something about his old stuff that I love!!

Lithium466

Enlightened
Are you positive the Novatac classic works with 18650 (or 16340)? Won't the 4,2V kill the driver? Cause I thought it was 1,8-3,5V max on the Classic, and the only time I dared trying a 18650 it was really really powerful, so I stopped the experiment!

Lithium466

Enlightened
Just remove [image.jpg] from your previous link and it should be ok. You may need to resize your picture though.

Awesome collection:drool:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you positive the Novatac classic works with 18650 (or 16340)? Won't the 4,2V kill the driver? Cause I thought it was 1,8-3,5V max on the Classic, and the only time I dared trying a 18650 it was really really powerful, so I stopped the experiment!

Another good catch, Lithium, I forgot the Classic head had a specific lower voltage range than the 120P. Even the Storm had a different range than the original USA 120P - it was spec'd at 2.0 - 4.2 volts, vs the 120P at 1.8 - 4.2 volts. So the 120P is good for any single cell lithium or 2xAA tube. Classics could only work on their 2 x AA tube or a single CR123 tube with primaries.

Nothing beats the operating range of the Basic/Ultimate lights - 1.8 - 7.3 volts. The one thing you could not do was 2 x RCR123, or 8.4 volts, but there was no good reason, as they don't get brighter on two cells, and run longer on one big cell.

Post above edited accordingly. - Edited again when it was confirmed the lower rating meant nothing, it's an unmodified circuit. I've run it plenty now on 18650 without issue.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, this one is killing me, where did you get the pic, and what's the story? I can only find the V1 and V2 Action Lights on the HDS Legacy pages, or anywhere else. Always the 24 LED array, as shown above. Was this a final prototype using the first Luxeon Star LED? If the "100" was supposed to be for brightness, that is way beyond the capability at the time. Labeled, serial #0008, I'm dying to know more.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Wasn't 120P 1,8 - 4,5V? I'm joking :)

Specifications apart... did you try some 18650 with the Classic head? I was very happy when you said the Classic could be used with RCR, now I'm disappointed :(

Seriously, what the **** did Novatac at that time? They tempered with the perfectly fine driver of the 120P to reduce it's input voltage range (why?), and they weren't even able to use newer leds like XP-G, which could have given their lights some fresh air against competition?
The driver pill was already slightly modified to give some more space to the led board, they were using a larger mpcb, they just had to get some new leds...XP-G, XM-L, whatever, the driver and the reflector would have accomodated.

It's a pity they don't work "in the right sense", I'm sure a "200P", even made in China (machining was ok, all they had to do was using better anodizing like Fenix or Jetbeam) could have been interesting...but remember, at that time the HDSs entry level was $99... and was already vastly superior to the aging Novatac offering.

edit: regarding the Action light, I can't tell you more. I know there was 85/100 and even 120 lumens models, I thought using Seoul leds...but this one looks like a K2?

Who will dare asking Henry? We need Hogo on this one. I am afraid to admit IMO this vaporeware light look better than the last action light Prototype from SHOT show :(

edit: needless to say the Action light IIi never passed the prototype stade. Don't know why...looks pretty decent for caving, I guess the head was identical to the power head prototype of the clicky, like the double buttons...

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never did lego, the option was a big motivator though to succumb to buying a Novatac import. They really are not bad for the most part. There was a run of bad positive springs in the Storms that would take a set, and then it became unreliable until you stretched it out, and the whole thing repeated. And I have that classic slight flickering on really low levels, although I think that came in maybe to a greater degree, from the original HDS design, not sure. But that AA tube was worth what I payed, and I have six HDS and USA 120P lights to play with them on if I get the itch. I use the 18650 mod the most, though - I'm a real sucker for that 120P with the HCRI Seoul - comes hunting in my vest pocket more often than all others combined. Crazy what those tubes cost and what they sold for at the end. Wish I could put an 18650 on my HCRI Rotary for under three bucks!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Super fun throwback thread! Keep it coming. :) I have had about 10 HDSs and a Novatac over the years. I'll have to see if I can compile a list of the configurations I've had and maybe scrounge a few photos. I haven't been without a Clicky (or several) in ages.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 old pics that I've previously posted of my collection. Some new ones and some are gone since then but the ''core'' is still the same. No super rare item except the 2 xAA tube for legacy clicky. In the ''not so rare but not common either'', a Rotary 219 with a tritium/titanium bezel and an high CRI Twisty V2 with both tubes (CR123 and 18650).

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my newish HCri Rotary but you guys are really making me want to pick up some legacy items. I don't think I can afford to keep following this thread :)

Thanks for all the great pics and information!