A light for the wife

slapper

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

I'm very near Shrewsbury in the UK. This is the county town of Shropshire on the border of Wales and isn't a bad place to live. I am finding sellers of Fenix flashlights quite easily now, and other makes of course, so I suspect that we here in Britain are getting into the LED scene. Or I'm a better Googler than when I first bought my Olight.

You know, I can understand why people get so involved in flashlights. I've read all the advice you've given, looked up the reviews and the threads on this forum, and have spend hours doing all this. Very interesting it is, too. What has really dawned on me is that there is no one torch which will do it all.

It seemed to me that the Nitecore EZ AA would be perfect for the wife. Small, surprisingly lightful, and dead easy to use. But when I read comments on it I found that this little torch gets very hot on high level after a few minutes. Now, we often walk down our country lane at night hoping to see a badger or something and it would be just bad luck if, when she did, the torch was too hot to keep holding.

So, what do I need most of all? Well, we get a lot of electricity cuts here because of overhead power lines. Small torches, with long runtime, which can tailstand (or be placed upright in a glass) would be most helpful. Three of those around our bungalow, reflecting enough light off the ceilings to prevent us bumping into things, would be great. Our ceilings are 8-9 feet high.

So I'll change direction in this thread to ask your advice on this aspect. Once that's sorted I'll progress further. I can feel a sense of involvement coming over me somehow: is this a new hobby I see before me?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife is not a flashlight aficionado of any form however she has asked that I keep her stocked with a light for emergencies in her purse but to make sure it is out of the way and not intrusive. I have found that the absolute best option for her is the Nitecore EZ AA. It is tiny and has two easy to find modes. Low is enough for most of the time she might need it, and if she needs more light, twist further for high is impossible to forget. Seems about the best option for her.

Don't tell her but I also have an E01 stashed in there for her if necessary. I think she knows about it if I were to ask her, but I don't really know whether she has put 1 and 1 together to realize she now carries two lights fulltime... ;)

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Quark 123 R2 - about $50
Quark AA R2 - about $50
Nitecore EZ AA - about $50
Nitecore D10 (AA) - about $60

All small, all multi level with long run times on the med and lower settings, rugged, easy to use.

gordonshowers

Newly Enlightened
The Quark MiNi AA might be worth consideration.

$39 (currently £25) delivered to anywhere in the world, including the UK. Delivery took me about a week (I'm from the UK too, Portsmouth).

A touch shorter than the EZAA, and not much bigger than my Fenix L0D (AAA).

Only received it today so it's still very much a honeymoon period, but I love it at the moment.

New hobby? More of an addiction! I've got nearly ten torches now, and I'm running out of places to put the ones I don't use too much any more......

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
My wife has a Fenix E01 on her car keys, and an iTP EOS A3 Upgrade on her house keys. As far as I know, she always uses the iTP on Medium (it's an M-L-H).

If I thought she'd carry a 1xAA light I'd probably buy her the Quark MiNi AA.

slapper

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Okay, I've made my mind up. I'm going to get a couple of quark 123's. I've gone cross eyed reading reviews and looking at beam shots but it's been worth it. I'll order after Christmas, hopefully to take advantage of the January sales.

You've all been a great help. Enjoy yourselves at Christmas. I'd treat you to a noggin if you were nearby.....

Best wishes,

Slapper

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Okay, I've made my mind up. I'm going to get a couple of quark 123's.

Perhaps you'd be so kind as to post telling us about your experience ordering from the states and what import tax you had to pay on the lights, for those of us who've not ordered from the states yet.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
UK customs has charged me for 2 packages out of perhaps 15 this year.

Both had +£50 values stated on them, and were slightly larger packages. I've had other smallish packages with more expensive lights slip through though, including my Mac SSt-50. Most of my lights were sent to my home address rather than work in case Customs're more strict with a Business address.

I've not had any parcels go missing although only a couple had any insurance or shipping upgrade. With 4Sevens I always just use the standard free shipping now.

I allow 2 weeks, but have had a Quark arrive in 5 days once. Most recently a couple of Preons took 10days including customs clearance (one of the two that I got stung for). I paid £16 on that $90 order. I think £8 of it was import duty, £8 handling charge.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Thanks that's handy to know.

Totally not knowing what customs would charge you for a light it's kinda like you're buying something without knowing the cost.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
I guess you can do a google search on UK import duty if you want to know exactly what you might get charged.

I've never been that bothered - I only order a single or maybe two items in any single transaction and have paid £30 (for a £300 item) once, otherwise for the other 2-3 times, £16 or less - in 5 years of ordering from the States.

Most of the time I'm happy as I don't get stung at all. That's enough for me :)

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
The rough ideas you gave me of the kinds of costs are fine thanks, as long as the duty won't double the cost of the lights or anything! :D

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
One question I've wondered about though, is how do you pay any duty owing, who do you pay it to?

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
Quark Preon comes to mind for the women in my life, as do the ITP eos series of lights.

Quark preon can be had with clicky or twisty switch, 1 or 2 AAA batteries, and can be had in a few colors. As my sister described mine, its "elegant". She is getting a blue one for Christmas. Multi mode, low-med-high, with flashy modes available, but hidden. Personally, for a non-flashaholic, I prefer a light that comes on in medium, as most non-flashaholics just want a decent amount of light as simply as possible.

ITP eos 3 is available in colors, 3 good modes, takes 1 AAA. Comes on with a very nice medium. Medium-low-high. I have given away a few, and they are VERY well recieved by non-flashaholics. I just ordered another 6 as gifts. They are atractively priced too. I carry the Maratac version of this light (same manufacturer and internals, just a slightly different body) as my backup EDC. The ITP does not tailstand because of the key ring attachment, but the maratac will. On the other hand, its easy to clip either one to a glass, clothing, hats, etc.

ITP also offers similar lights in AA and cr123, but only in black or natural for color, and the interface is low-med-high.

Quark also offers the MiNI AA and MiNi cr123 lights. Same interface as the preons, but different batteries, only in black. I carry a MiNi AA as my primary EDC, and i love it. I would prefer a med-low-high interface, but one cant have everything I guess :)

I also have an EZAA that I carried for a while (happily replaced by the Quark MiNi AA). EZAA is a good light overall, reliable, and fairly small. But as a flashaholic, I found I wanted 3 modes. I also found the beam to be more tightly focused that I like (I prefer a floody light, like my MiNi). It also was too much twisting to go from off to low, and then to high. The process took several turns, making it more time consuming.

Hope some of this was useful.

slapper

Newly Enlightened
When I ordered my Olight it was on special offer in the USA, about £27 if I remember rightly. The cheapest I could get it for here was £42. I calculated that if I had to pay import duty at 17.5% I would still be better off shipping it in.

However, I didn't know about the £8 charge levied by our Post Office. I had to go into town to pay for it at the Sorting Office and in the end I saved about £2, about 3 dollars in your money at that time.

Now the light is faulty (it shifts into strobe when it feels like it) I'm not going to pay to send it overseas for repair. And I'm rather loathe to risk having to pay Customs and Post Office charges again.