A review of some LEP lights I was given the chance to review.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,
I'm just doing a review of some lights that I offered to give a review about.
A little back story, I was made aware of a new LEP thrower on eBay that was called a Titan-X75.The spec's seemed really good to me, claiming it could throw 7500 meters (ANSI) had a 10W laser diode and having a head diameter of 90mm, since it was in Australia (as I am) I thought I'd give one a go and take 1 for the team as there was quite some discussion about it. The seller is professional and does have some good products for sale and has a good sellers rating too.

I was a little disappointed that the X75 didn't beat the Acebeam W30 that I have. I understand that LEP's, after doing some measurements myself, are hard to measure as the point of culmination varies so much because of the fact that LEP's use an Aspheric front lens to magnify the beam down to a point. So say for example, you adjust the focus for the tightest spot to measure on a meter at a given distance (say using ANSI standards), then you find that when you then shine the beam way out further to look at something for the purpose you bought it for, and not just nerdy bragging rights, the beam might not be at the desired focus, as to me it seems to take some distance for the beam to mature to the point you want. Not only am I a fellow Nerd/flashoholic/hobbyist, I actually use my lights for real word uses, so I have real world experience.
It's worth mentioning, from my experience (for LEP lights that is) that quality of the beam sometimes is better than just sheer pin point throw, and "thinking" you have the best thrower on paper.
I have found that a slightly over or under focused LEP beam is better than the sharpest narrowest spot, relaxing your eyes so you actually see more details for real life use.
While I'm on that topic, though some of these LEP's can throw over 1km, yes you can use the beam to identify a subject at over 300 meters but in reality after 300m we need binoculars just to really see any detail of what we are viewing, so that's where beam quality/shape comes in - can you really see what you want/need to see if the beam quality/shape is not relaxing to the eye.
I did have my eye on that X30 but thought I didn't want to spend that much in case it was not the thrower that it claimed. I offered to review it if he wanted me too as I told him that lights are a hobby and I have been collecting and using them for over 25 years. To which they have accepted my offer, which IMO is generous - thanks to LimeLight.
LimeLight sent me 4 lights to test, 3 LEP and 1 mini COB keychain light, plus the one I bought, the X75.

Bare in mind photo's are hard to do at night of a small dot of light and to get the exposure right - But I got them as close as it looked to me - Also it was a very heavy moist night with drizzle rain/haze/mist as it's winter here and we have snow.

Ok, lights I tested:
RHwFqaL.jpg

jMlE6K5.jpg

ni6eLqe.png

X10 is a 2 in one tactical LEP with a IR LEP that both are zoomable at the same time. It has a soft press SS tail switch with a control ring at the base of the head that has 3 clicks, left is white LEP on, middle off/standby, right click is IR on. You twist the head to focus the beam. The manufacturer doesn't indicate wavelength of the IR, but I'm assuming it's 940nm-ish as you can only just barely see it when on if you put your eye close up to it. The tail switch when pressed no matter what output you used last, just cycles to the next output High/Med/Low/Strobe. The only way to guarantee the high level you want to come onto is to use the rotary switch as it will always come on high, so that is the way to make it tactical. Also if you leave the light on in standby via the control ring, parasitic drain will drain the battery over a day or so.The X10's IR function when activated focuses with the head the same way by twisting the head for focus, narrow or wide. I have 2 other IR torches, one is an eagletac 3 led wide beam drop in, so it is only good for flood, so I didn't include it in the pictures. the other one is a DIYCON Predator-IR, HL1, (I think it's the same as the Microfire predator HL1) anyway I think it has a Osram IR led, not sure if it's the 940nm or the 850nm version (forgot) but I can see a red glow. The predator is supposed to throw 400 meters with a gen3 night scope. So here is a comparison of the X10 vs HL1 @ 250 meters with my Hikmicro Gyphon Thermal monocular that has night vision built in as well.

The X10 throws quite well if you need an IR illuminator.
HL1 @ 250 meters.
v5uHkAt.jpg

X10 @ 250 meters IR wide.
tDaSfKf.jpg

X10 @ 250 meters IR narrower.
qIrFrZd.jpg
!!

X10 @ 250 meters IR narrowest setting.
TubOoml.jpg

X10 beam White beam shot on tightest focus @ 75 meters.
BTSIcDa.jpg

X15 is a LEP zoomie and as it has a bigger exit lens than the X10 so it does throw further. Both the X10 and X15 have glass lenses, not plastic, which is nice. The X15 seems to me to be only painted as the tiniest bump chips the paint, but that doesn't change anything just the looks. It has a rear clickie switch, and always comes on at the next output level in the sequence High/Med/Low/Strobe no matter how long it stays on or off, as in it seems to remember the last mode then just goes to the next output when turned on, making it more of a general light not tactical as you never know what you are going to get (like a box of chocolates :0)

RDAJbW9.jpg

X15 beam shot @ 75 meters.
u5akaae.jpg

eAV2jbI.jpg

sZd2jUZ.png

X75 is a LEP with a fixed focus for maximum throw. It uses 2x 26650 batteries that are supplied with a charger in a waterproof ABS case. It only has one mode and that is High with an on/off tail switch. IMO this light would make a good Search and rescue light as there are no heat issues like all the smaller LEP's have) and will have a real long runtime. The light is big enough to dissipate heat but small enough to carry.
kEQpFoc.png

X75 @ 250 meters.
C6SDPv3.jpg

X75 @ 530 meters.
L1oGraX.jpg

X30 is a beast of a light, weighs heaps, and has no heat issues. I can't look inside but must have some massive amount of batteries in there. It has a big handle, no strap and no tripod mount, but any shoulder strap could be easily tweaked to make it work. It comes in an aluminium with foam insert case with a charger that twist/couples onto the end of the light - the light on charger is red then goes green when charged. The charger is 100-240vac 50-60Hz 18.2v @ 2 amps. When the head is twisted the laser module slides forward or back on a rail internally to adjust focus, most LEP's, when you twist the head, it changes the distance between the aspheric exit lens and the light source.
izWoIpc.png

X30 @ 250 meters.
4GQ7W6b.jpg

X30 @ 515 meters for front pole and 605 meters for back pole.
ojQoiz3.jpg

X30 @ 530 meters.
XFBegNd.jpg

iCPr4B0.jpg

QQUmUpj.jpg

wbHDNGp.jpg

B3weoIu.jpg

I used this meter to test, set on LUX.
InpCPyS.jpg

I'll mention the settings I used. I may not know the exact equation output figures, but I know you guys are the math guru's that will give the proper interpolation. I use the meter to see the general difference in output at a given distance, but to me the eye does not lie in real world use.
I threw in a few of my other lights too for comparison.
Meter turned on at 20000 setting.

X10 @ 10 meters = 133
X15 @ 10 meters = 153
Notigon DM1.12 - just the single centre channel throw optic @ 10 meters = 82

Still meter set at the 20,000 setting, I changed the distance as the heavy hitters blew out the meter @ 10 meters.
X75 @ 30 meters = 85
X30 @ 30 meters = 429
Acebeam W30 @ 30 meters = 107
Acebeam K75 @ 30 meters = 120
MK38(SFT40) @ 30 meters = 25

OK, I tried some at 20 meters on a higher setting, 50,000.

X75 @ 20 meters = 16
W30 @ 20 meters = 20
X30 @ 20 meters = 107

Now try at 10 meters on 50,000 setting on the meter.

X75 @ 10 meters = 130
W30 @ 10 meters = 160
X30 @ 10 meters = 674

Not that I think it is a fair comparison as there are so many factors, IE spread/reflection/focus and that's why they use an integrated sphere (which I don't have) to measure lumen output - but a ceiling bounce is a kind of a way to compare lights side by side, so I did some.
X10 = 18
X15 = 30
X75 = 24
W30 = 39
X30 = 77

X30 @ 100 meters on wide beam.
hbm2vtd.jpg

Looking forward to your opinions and questions.

Attachments

• fOnYNoA.jpg
    fOnYNoA.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay,
It dawned on me when I was at work, I was thinking because the X30 is focusable and not fixed focus like almost all the other LEP's out there, then logically if I focus the beam down to the tightest sweet spot when measuring, that would give the correct output at a given distance.
Soooo, I set the meter to the 20,000 LUX setting 20 meters, locked the reading so it would record the max output, adjusted the light optics to the furthest setting in then wound out the optics till they made a wide beam - so I know at some point I got the pin point sweet spot (if I had 2 people I could do it easier) - so the new reading I got was 1096 ( 20 meters on 20,0000 setting on the meter)
So using the math I'm thinking it's now getting 4384000cd – and that's with not topping up the battery after extensively testing the light the other night and I was running it for about 5-10 minutes before the test as well – also I know my meter is a very cheap old very average one so a better quality one would give a way more accurate measurement, but is good enough to test outputs between lights.

Think I used this right? Calculator

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I might go get a professional meter tomorrow (I hope) to make the readings more accurate.
It was windy/cold/foggy air and was a guts effort, but I managed to get some long night shots in.

Distance 1241 meters.
fl0G9g2.jpg

GQ32tIa.jpg

Distance 1789 meters.
lO3E80z.jpg

5i8YS5o.jpg

And the extra long one is 2908 meters.
fugVMKy.jpg

y2K5HW6.jpg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Really neat stuff Glenn ❇️
the somewhat industrial'ness to your thread gives it an edgy feel.

Seems like just a few years ago, guys were trying to start TP on fire w/ their cr123 loaded incands. at 2 inches

thanks

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your kind words my friends! I went and bought a new professional light meter as I wasn't quite happy with the one I have as it's cheap n old. I will try to practice some more Industrialaforcation ;):crackup:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, new output figures with the new meter that was suggested by the seller, Dr Meter LX1330B - I also used a laser range finder for distance.

KCD taken @ 30 meters:
X10 = 81,000cd
X15 = 108,000cd
X75 = 1.314,000cd
X30 = 7,290,000cd

Threw in my Acebeam W30 for interest/comparison = 1,566,000cd

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be an OK light, if it is 1000 lumens - but if it is 1000L, it should throw further than 1,100 meters.
There are plenty out there for the same or half the price that throw further HERE
The Loop Universe SK01S (which is about the same price as the Bushnell) is supposed to be 910 lumens but only measured @ 465L, but it can throw 1562 meters HERE

KSLD

Newly Enlightened
Could be an OK light, if it is 1000 lumens - but if it is 1000L, it should throw further than 1,100 meters.
There are plenty out there for the same or half the price that throw further HERE
The Loop Universe SK01S (which is about the same price as the Bushnell) is supposed to be 910 lumens but only measured @ 465L, but it can throw 1562 meters HERE
Yes, you are correct.
The LaserDiode is 500lm and there is also an LED ring (500lm) for near field.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW the bushnell is using this laser from Kyocera HERE
All of the other "LEP" modules look huge and bulky in comparison. Can't wait until some folks get their macro cameras on those bad boys! Dichroics? polarization-dependant reflectors? LaserLight modules: how do they work?

Will Nichia drop a similar laser pumped high luminance module soon? Here's hoping!