A Tribute to Nitecore D10

shaneotool

Newly Enlightened
I've got one of the original issue EX10's.
That really was a light ahead of it's time IMO.
Quick access to high or low, and a sweet ramp to anything in between.
I recently bought a Fenix PD20 and I prefer the EX10 to it.

Edit - Just noticed I'm at one post per year!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't help but think, if these are so popular, why won't they make a new run?

If you find a light that works best for you . . . Immediately buy at least one more just like. Since it's only a matter of time before the company making it decides to either discontinue or (far worse) "improve" it into something quite different.

(I was fortunate to get one of the very last original versions of the Nitecore EZAA. Unfortunately, timing can be a *****. I count myself lucky to have gotten one of the very last of the breed, brand new.)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you find a light that works best for you . . . Immediately buy at least one more just like. Since it's only a matter of time before the company making it decides to either discontinue or (far worse) "improve" it into something quite different.

Hey buddy... long time! :wave:

Good advice... I did that with my D10 R2, except I didn't do it immediately... I waited until after it was discontinued... and it was a much more difficult to find another new one, because I waited.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey buddy... long time! :wave:

Good advice... I did that with my D10 R2, except I didn't do it immediately... I waited until after it was discontinued... and it was a much more difficult to find another new one, because I waited.

Always good to encounter you here on CPF as well. :)

Yeah, sometimes if an opportunity presents itself; you have to go for it. Even if the timing isn't quite right. Not a good idea to do that all the time. But every now and then, it's worth it. Otherwise the opportunity to acquire another one might not present itself soon or even at all down the road. If it does, the condition or price might be less than spectacular.

LedTed

Enlightened
My wish would be for a D12 with: D11 V.2 interface, XM-L emitter, take a single 18650, and have a deep reflector. One can only dream.

LedTed

Enlightened
My wish would be for a D12 with: D11 V.2 interface, XM-L emitter, take a single 18650, and have a deep reflector. One can only dream. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

e1sbaer

Newly Enlightened
A D12 with XML-U2 would be nice indeed. Also some improved quality control. I turn mine off by twisting the head. If I use the piston, it will drain the battery. Still, it' a great little light that I got because of this thread :)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
A D12 with XML-U2 would be nice indeed. Also some improved quality control. I turn mine off by twisting the head. If I use the piston, it will drain the battery. Still, it' a great little light that I got because of this thread :)

My wish would be for a D12 with: D11 V.2 interface, XM-L emitter, take a single 18650, and have a deep reflector. One can only dream. Sorry for the double post.

A D12 with XM-L would be sweet. In fact, I'm tempted to mod a D11.2 or D10 to XM-L.

On the homepage of nitecore is no information about PD series. What do they decided?

Purely a speculation on my part, I'm guessing there would not be new development for the PDs for a while since they have spent a better part of the time developing the Tiny Monster and Explorer Series.
Even if there's new development, I hope they would go through a more stringent QC process and beta testing, this goes with other manufacturers. I'm tired of manufacturers coming out with updated version(s) to correct what they should have done with the first batch.

Last edited:

Romanko

Newly Enlightened
If to compare PD EX10 driver circuit to other current(for example Zebralight SC31) the driver is not so efficient? And what do you think if to upgrade with nichia will it give more lumens?

jlomein

Enlightened
Is the EX10 Golden Dragon Plus worth anything? I keep it because of it's nice transition from hotspot to floodbeam, beautiful beam with no rings, and because I don't think there's any buyers. However I don't carry it because I prefer higher output now from my EDC.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If to compare PD EX10 driver circuit to other current(for example Zebralight SC31) the driver is not so efficient? And what do you think if to upgrade with nichia will it give more lumens?
I don't claim to be a technical expert so led gurus do correct me if I'm wrong. Apart from the circuit, there is also the efficiency and luminous efficacy of the emitter themselves. It depends how much any type of emitter can produce lumens per watt. If you refer to the first post, a D10's XR-E has been replaced by a MC-E, the result is a much brighter output albeit lesser throw. Likewise, should it be possible to install a 5mm nichia led into it, the output will be much lesser regardless of the same circuit it uses.

My D10 died I'm so so sad I loved it when it worked.
Have you found the source of the fault? Have you clean all contacts and such? As Mr. Shawn mentioned, if all else fails, contact Nitecore or the dealer you bought from for assistance.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the EX10 Golden Dragon Plus worth anything? I keep it because of it's nice transition from hotspot to floodbeam, beautiful beam with no rings, and because I don't think there's any buyers. However I don't carry it because I prefer higher output now from my EDC.

During the XR-E period, the GD+ was prized due to the ring-less beam profile it produces. But these days, beams without artifact are a norm. I guess it depends on the number of EX10 fans who are looking for another EX10, GD+ or otherwise. While I prefer higher output EDCs too, I'd still carry D10 as my main or backup EDC.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded 2 d10's with neutral xm-l's and theyre sweet. Quite a nice increase in output and great tint.

I can relate to that, that's how I felt when I first turned on a D10 MC-E. Guess it's time for a D11.2 XM-L!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried to swap XR-E to XP-E in D10? I know XP-G gives much more floody beam and reduces throw but XP-E is different emitter. I have D10 Q5 and it's great light but Q5 is a little bit obsolete these days so I'm thinking about the swap but I don't want to loose nice throw of Cree XR-E.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably going to look like the stock D10 with R2 XP-E (maybe just a tad dimmer?), beam shots shown in first post.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably going to look like the stock D10 with R2 XP-E (maybe just a tad dimmer?), beam shots shown in first post.

Exactly. I've tried that mod and works fine, though the reflector hole in the XR-E is wider and aesthetically could be an issue for some users (nothing important in practice).