a word of advice and warning, Facebook is a toxic wasteland of security risks

I'm not really sure that facebook is the root of ALL evil....

Hi JemR, :welcome:

No one has stated that Facebook is the root of all evil. The root of all evil is the love of money. What is being stated is Facebook is a breeding ground for criminal activity due to a great many of its members not exercising common sense, (almost 13 million users have never set privacy controls) and it's owner caring more about money than the privacy of his (Facebook) members. In 2007 Zuckerberg introduced Beacon which would post users activities on other sites and reportedly tracked them even if they opted out of it. In 2009, The 'Great Betrayal' coined by critics referred to Facebook's revamped privacy settings, which would default to "public" therefore widening exposure of users data. 2011 German regulator considers action against Facebook's facial-recognition feature, saying it violates German privacy laws by collecting users biometric data without their explicit consent.

The above information, and much more (9 & 1/2 pages) on protecting your privacy online and on Facebook is available in the June issue of ConsumerReports.

~ Chance

JemR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome Chauncey Gardiner, your are very kind.

You are right about it being the love of money. As my problem with facebook on my phone demonstrates somewhat I think. It is on there because my service provider has been paid a lot of money to put the app on EVERY phone it sells and extra, no doubt, for it to be immoveable. They hope I will just "have" to use it thus making money for them both. And then I/we are open to the things described in the rest of the tread if we don't look out for ourselves. But I am avoiding the temptation (not interested really) and in any case I am also a firm believer in the first cardinal rule of Social Media as I stated in my first post. Lots of members are reading this tread and I hope they follow yours, mvyrmnd's and others advice and think about their own online security.

Thanks again for the welcome and all the best.

UPDATE: Sorry! I forgot to mention that extra care should be taken with social media on the mobile phones of children as this is often the primary method used to gain access to the sites. The cardinal rule surely applies even more for children.

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
My smartphone has the facebook app preloaded by the service provider when I got the phone. I can't get rid of it, it can not be deleted and I do not use it. It sits there, in the apps list, using up battery, memory and screen space.

It's funny you mention this. I too have that damned app! I removed mine from my home screen but as you mentioned, cannot remove the vile thing completely from my phone. I even go as far as not updating the app when it shows there's an update as an act of defiance! :rant:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as Facebook has issues I've yet to see any alternatives work as easily. It's by far the most convenient method I've found to keep in touch with family and friends who otherwise only communicate once or twice a year. While there are those who can abuse the framework, this can be avoided by following the rule of not posting sensitive and personal information to your profile.

Regarding kids: there are these things called 'parents'. I've never seen anything in the bible, constitution, laws of relativity, etc., that says teens must be guaranteed the latest smartphone, full admin rights on any computer they use, and a car with insurance paid for when they are 16.

When I was a teen we had modems and electronic bulletin boards, and trust me, there was as much drama, creepy people, pervs, etc., and we got into far worse legal troubles than you can on Facebook today. The only real difference is your audience today doesn't have to be as technically savy. If you honestly fear social media that badly, and /or you don't have friends or relatives worth speaking with there are plenty of cabins to rent in the woods without broadband or nearby cell towers.

iapyx

Enlightened
Even worse: I am not a member of facebook. Never have been. Friends of mine however are.
Now what I don't get is why does Facebook send me e-mails telling me that my friends have a new I contact might know.
This should be forbidden.

Obviously Facebook has access to the complete address books of my friends.
But how on earth is it possible that Facebook dares to contact me. Isn't this illegal?

Last edited:
......this can be avoided by following the rule of not posting sensitive and personal information to your profile.

If you honestly fear social media that badly, and /or you don't have friends or relatives worth speaking with there are plenty of cabins to rent in the woods without broadband or nearby cell towers.

blasterman,

Can people you've friended post sensitive/personal information about you on Facebook? Perhaps your children's names, ages, where they attend school, or that you're on vacation for the next two weeks in Hawaii? If you like using Facebook, fine. This thread is a warning about the often hidden dangers of membership on it.

I don't recall anyone posting about having a fear of social media, and as far as us not having friends or family worth speaking with, and the cabins in the woods.....That comment was uncalled for. You sir, have payed us an unkindness.
:tsk:

~ Chance

JemR

Newly Enlightened
While there are those who can abuse the framework, this can be avoided by following the rule of not posting sensitive and personal information to your profile.

Yes agreed. Other have said this and I have supported that 3 times so far. The first cardinal rule etc. post #20 & #22

Regarding kids: there are these things called 'parents'. I've never seen anything in the bible, constitution, laws of relativity, etc., that says teens must be guaranteed the latest smartphone, full admin rights on any computer they use, and a car with insurance paid for when they are 16.

Yes agreed. But not all parents supervise or care what their children are looking at, who they are talking to, what info they are giving to any one who wants to read it. So maybe the facebook app should not be pre installed on every mobile phone and be undeletable. I would want that, I think I and others have made that clear.

If you honestly fear social media that badly, and /or you don't have friends or relatives worth speaking with there are plenty of cabins to rent in the woods without broadband or nearby cell towers.

Never said all social media bad. Certainly not the internet. Who said that? I'm a member here and other forums. I send emails, texts etc. all the time. But if you use facebook maybe read the OP and other posts and links highlighted in the tread. Tell you family and friends to be careful and stay safe. That all. :)

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U.S., like many other nations, is highly dependent upon information technology in everything from national security and intelligence activities, to commerce and business, to personal communications and social networking.

The Internet is one of the unifying fabrics driving globalization and political change at an increasingly accelerated pace. Information technology (IT) is vital to every major industry and economy in the world. Simply put, these technologies and associated network communications systems represent the greatest opportunity to enhance our productivity and to spread our system of values. Unfortunately, due to the dynamic nature of today's IT environments, these evolving technologies and modes of communication also represent one of our greatest threats. Therefore, it is not surprising that cyber security has become such an important economic and national security issue.

We are seeing the rapid evolution of the threat landscape, with more varied targets, and in many cases, more advanced technologies and tactics than ever before. This expansion in risk is threatening to erode trust in the digital commerce, communication and collaboration that we all take for granted today.

Evident is the sophistication of today's attackers in understanding the interconnections and interdependencies that organizations have in our networked world and how to exploit our inter-dependence to achieve their goals. In other words, we are seeing increases in attacks on one organization to be leveraged in an attack on another organization. No organization that embraces the Internet and information technology, whether public or private, is immune to cyber attacks.

Across the range of cyber adversaries it is clear that the preferred method of exploitation centers on people. Social engineering is now the number one avenue of attack, and the new security perimeter is the human being because related attacks easily evade traditional perimeter controls such as anti-virus software, firewalls and intrusion detection systems. Security professionals have long understood that IT users will click on links they shouldn't and unwittingly install malware hidden through simple ruses. Corporate IT departments deploy multiple controls to help deal with this threat. This process may work well for generic attacks, but not for sophisticated zero-day exploits. Consequently, because there is no way to prevent all people associated with organizations from making mistakes, organizations need to assume compromise is probable if not inevitable if they are to defend themselves thoroughly.

Understanding the Scope of the Cyber Threat

In the past 15 years, we've had an explosion of information, with it being created at an ever increasing rate and spreading further and faster than ever before.

Along with this growth has been a flood of productivity-enhancing web applications and personal-computing devices. Every one of us is both consuming new technologies from devices like iPads and Droid-based smartphones to social networks like LinkedIn and Facebook and trying to deal with their unprecedented entry into our organizations. Are organizations ceding more control of their IT environments to their users? Yes.

The Internet and all of its facets permeate every corner of our organizations and personal lives. Our situation is complicated and especially challenged by what can be called "degrees of openness." The number of parties with whom we do transactions and share information is skyrocketing and the velocity of those transactions and information sharing is increasing. The hyperextension of our enterprises and the wonders of more ubiquitous and simple online access are introducing new complexities, new vulnerabilities and new opportunities for the darker elements of the Internet. The attackers are exploiting those vulnerabilities – easily outflanking perimeter defenses.

To successfully defend against these attacks it is important to better understand the actors. The attackers can be categorized into three major classes of cyber adversaries: criminals, non-state actors, and nation states each with distinct motives and modus operandi but who may, at times, collaborate if their goals align.

Criminals

One class is the cyber criminal. Whether loosely affiliated or tightly organized, they are out to steal information assets that can be converted to cash. It's typical to see their "platform-based" crimeware and zero-day vulnerabilities auctioned on the black market to the highest bidder. A criminal group can buy a botnet kit for drive-bys, a spamming kit for spam runs, bulletproof hosting from an underground service provider, un-attributable domain registration, and on and on. As the criminal ecosystem matures, the cost of entry for cyber crime continues to fall.

Non-state Actors

This category of actors is made up of those who have a non-sovereign agenda and who are investing disproportionately with respect to any returns they might see. The category includes publicity seeking hackers (or so called "hacktivists") with political agendas. They are the ones who want to send you a very loud message and broadcast it to members of the media. Whether it is Web vulnerabilities, lack of general security controls, or the failure of the human firewall, these groups will find the holes in an organization's mythical security perimeter. They can be very sophisticated online hackers themselves or can work with or encourage insiders with access to important information.

This category also includes terrorists. With tools such as Stuxnet, now more available and accessible, the possibility of terrorists obtaining malware like this is increasing. In the future, their agendas could include combined physical attacks with cyber attacks on critical infrastructure.

Nation States

A third category of attacker is the nation state. Nation states typically are focused on: gaining strategic advantage through theft of government secrets and valuable intellectual property; ensuring competitive advantage for their domestic industries; or gaining intelligence on their own citizens or those of other nations who they believe present a risk to them. They also have the ability to combine physical attacks with cyber attacks on infrastructure.

Nation-sponsored attacks are often the most sophisticated and are carried out with stealth. The attack may start like any other – simple and under the radar with rudimentary malware and a variety of tools no different from the other groups. The real differences in sophistication are the concentration of resources behind the attack and efficiency with which these adversaries operate after gaining entry. They almost always do a lot of intelligence gathering – sometimes for months – in advance of the attack. They know which end users in corporations or government agencies possess the assets they want through social media and other means. They develop a solid mapping and inventory of the target network and security infrastructure over time. Experience tells them where the information they want resides (in critical databases, or file shares, for example). They almost always start with client-side attacks, with malware embedded in Flash files or PDF documents, including custom backdoors and rootkits. Advanced threats tend to incorporate malware produced hours or days before the attacks, so that traditional anti-virus tools have no signature by which to identify or block it. They compromise a directory of users, obtain access to local service accounts or take over domain administrator accounts.

Finally, they are also difficult to detect because very often they have compromised one company to be used in attacking another. Unlike cyber criminals, they want to remain inside an organization's network, so they go quiet, set up backup systems, and monitor incident response efforts to gauge defender responses, and alter their behavior accordingly.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
No one has stated that Facebook is the root of all evil. The root of all evil is the love of money.
Chauncey, great to see you in the threads more here lately as your posts are always well thought out. However, and it may be a little OT, but I just wanted to clear up the point about money, the love of which is actually just symptom of the deeper problem of plain and simple selfishness. Nothing wrong with working hard to make money, and though I teeter on the edge of being a pauper at least once a year, it's the fact that I work in exchange for money that allows me to offer help to others.

The problems listed here by you guys are fairly comprehensive, and I don't believe it can be overstated also, that the naysayers do their part in keeping those who are still on the fence from taking the problem seriously enough.

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO

the root of all evil is ignorance.

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge). Which is why I created this thread.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Maybe a root of victimization, but not of evil - this valuable thread is now in danger of being sidetracked and should go back to Facebook and how to avoid its dangers.

Greta

Flashaholic
Maybe a root of victimization, but not of evil - this valuable thread is now in danger of being sidetracked and should go back to Facebook and how to avoid its dangers.

What KD said.

Let's get back on track. If anyone wants to take this in another direction, please take it to the Underground.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm not a facebook user either, nor am I on myspare or twitter. I just don't need to be connected to others for every waking monent of my life.

I am on LinkedIn but I am very wary of any invitation that comes my way from an unknown indiividual. It;s too easy to think that an Invitation to Connect is a compliment of some sort and should always be acknowledged, but it's not necessarily so.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I would appreciate some helpful advice is, what to can I do to protect myself from these threats beyond not belonging to Facebook?

I see more and more "integration" between Facebook and everything else, so I worry that I am in danger even if I avoid it as much as I can and do not belong in it.

For example, iOS 6 has introduced integration with Facebook, and you can almost not go to any news site without finding those Facebook icons.

So, any ideas?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never would post on Facebook or Twitter and I expect anything I do via my computer and the internet is public to both the government and the corperate 'State'.

Burgess

Flashaholic
You folks are ALL WRONG about Facebook ! ! !

:shakehead

Now, if you'll excuse me . . . .

I've gotta' go water my crops in Farmville.

:whistle:
_

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I live by the rule that everything you do on the internet could potentially come back to you - be it e-mail, message boards, IM, facebook, games, blogs, etc. While not everything you do will live up to the usual hypothetical of would you want it read on the 6 O'Clock News, it's not necessarily a bad standard to live by - especially for mediia where you have little real expectation of privacy.

I use facebook. I post status updates, click "Like", post photos, and have given it accurate demographic inforomation. I do not give facebook apps permissions to my account, have not given it a complete personal dossier, never "check in", do not participate in polls /questions not clearly started by people I know (and even then mostly steer clear), and make a distinct point not to use it at work on my employer's computers. I have it set to the point that only friends can see things on my wall and review the default wall regularly to see what's "leaking." I have the facebook app on my smartphone and even make sure the GPS is off before launching the client.

And for all the hubub over facebook, the rest of the big players are just as bad. I can search/browse for something obscure on amazon and rest assured that banners for that very item (or others quite like it) will be served up for weeks as I hit numerous other ad-driven sites. Gmail will serve ads based on keywords in my e-mail and - a bit creepier - terms I've searched for in google.

It's very nearly impossible to be truly anonymous on the internet these days. Since almost no one pays for the services they receive online, the service providers are forced to find some other way to stay in business - and information about their users happens to be one of the most valuable commodities in their possession. I accept it as part of the deal and just do my best to minimize my profile without engaging in actions that simultaneously raise attention (ie encrypted e-mail, anonymous browsing, the use of proxies/excessive SSL, VPNs, etc) ... like the locks on houses, the idea is to "keep the honest people out" and make it difficult for the casual dishonest.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very nearly impossible to be truly anonymous on the internet these days.

it is completely impossible unless you

a) own and manage the links
b) own and manage the interconnecting devices
c) own and manage the access

companies and enterprises that do a, b, and c can control everything

anything and everything YOU do while using someone else a, b, and c...is, more and more often:

a) logged
b) stored
c) archived for retrieval

those 10 18 wheelers full of storage arrays headed to Langley ? yup. and 10 more trucks behind them.

the big new push in IT is not 'more locking mechanisms', the push is forensics and data analysis. let them in, OK so they broke in, we'll fix
that stuff later....right now, we watch it all. we cannot block all of it all the time...but we can certainly track and log all of it, all the time...
which is the direction more IT budgets are heading. it is way behind what it could and should be.