AA Quark vs. Eagletac

johnfolsomjr

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm narrowing down my next purchase for EDC and it's come down to the Quark Pro QPA or the EagleTac D25A Clicky XP-G2. I've seen lots of good things about both here on the forums, but didn't really find much about these two lights compared to each other. Anyone own both and have a preference?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are two of my favorite lights of my AA sub-lumen collection, I have some comments on them a few threads down.... depends what your priorities are and what you want to use it for. The lego'd QPA-X is what I would choose if I could only have a single light. Happy to answer specific questions.

Last edited:

CrazySanMan

Newly Enlightened
I just got a QPA and the ease of finding AA's are the only reason to carry it over a CR123, IMHO. I like the mini ML-X more that the QPA. I'm thinking oh getting a QPA2X so I can Lego together the QPAX.

johnfolsomjr

Newly Enlightened
CrazySanMan - that picture is so perfect, my current EDC is a Streamlight Microstream so the size comparison is wonderful!

Some specific questions about the lights -

1) Does one of the lights have a "floodier" beam then the other?
2) Have you had any experience with the customer service?

johnfolsomjr

Newly Enlightened
reppans comments in the Quark Pro QP2A or EagleTac D25A2 thread make lots of sense and would seem to be applicable in most regards to my questions as well. The potential of the Quark series to jump from a single AA EDC down to a single 123 cell for a discrete carry in a suit coat is nice, but the smaller diameter of the EagleTac is very appealing.

Those of you who EDC a Quark, how do you carry it?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a QPA and the ease of finding AA's are the only reason to carry it over a CR123, IMHO. I like the mini ML-X more that the QPA. I'm thinking oh getting a QPA2X so I can Lego together the QPAX.

I've got a QT2A-X and a QTA. I've swapped the QTA head onto 2AA body (essentially making it a QT2A). It's by far a better light than the QT2A-X. An XM-L is too floody in such a small reflector. Ok if you like all flood. I prefer a bit of throw and a more defined hotspot. Plus with the XP-G2 you get better runtimes, especially in high mode.

If you get the Quark, you will be happier with the deep carry clip. I also EDC a QPA-X lego when I'm not carrying my Copperhead, and I fill it with a 14500. The beefier Quark handles the heat from a 14500 much better than the D25a, but it is noticeably larger in the pocket. Since I am now carrying an 18350 light, the extra bulk does not bother me at all. The Eagletac looks more refined, especially in Ti, while the Quark looks utilitarian.

luisdent

Newly Enlightened
I have the neutral quark aa r5, which is very similar minus the newest led, but i'll share my views anyway if it helps. I just got the d25a and overall i prefer it for everyday use. It is smaller, lighter, more streamlined and has essentially all the same modes as the quark.

if there were one thing i'd change it would be a lower moonlight mode. The quark us less than half as bright visually on moonlight. It's dimmer on moonlight than the d25a with a diffuser. Not to say the d25a isn't dim, and some may prefer it. However, i prefer the dimmer quark in that regard.

the quark series seem to have a bit more throw type beams from what i've read. At least my d25a has a wider hotspot and seem more diffuse. Both my lights are the neutral led though. The cooler led has a throwier option. But relatively speaking mine is more diffused. On the quark i prefer the moonlight mode. On the d25a i prefer the size/feel and pocket clip. You can get a deep carry clip, but it isn't as slim and sleek looking.

those are my thoughts. I've yet to do any super beam comparisons or anything, but there you have it.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/41884932@N02/sets/72157643624668503/

Last edited:

johnfolsomjr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures luisdent! I really hadn't realized how much smaller the Eagletac light is. Coming from a AAA sized EDC I'm thinking the smaller light may be the better option.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Among the two, if I am to choose, I will choose the EagleTac D25A. Though FourSevens produced a very good quality light in their Quark series, the EagleTac D25A has the advantages in terms of output, size, quality & emitter.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the different perceptions of "quality" quite interesting :). IMHO, the D25A Ti's win the "form" side of the equation (size, aesthetics, fit/finish) but the Quark's win the "function" side of the equation (driver, clip, versatility, serviceability).

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the QP2L-X (in a AA body) and 2014 D25A Ti. I find fit and finish about equal - of course the Ti wins the bling factor.
For casual carry when size is a priority; the D25A is the choice. But, when carry for planned use is required, the QP2L-X wins for versatility and superior output on 14500s.

Glofindel

Newly Enlightened
I only have experience with Eagletac and super happy with it. Quality and price are spot on.
However Quark is not bad either
I think if you want to use rechargeable then go to D25a.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the eagtac d25cvn xml2 dedomed and I couldn't be happier. It ridiculous the capabilities of a light this size, and it's just handsome light.

johnfolsomjr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for weighing in on this purchase decision! After lots of consideration I've decided to go with the Quark. I think this quote from reppans sums it up best -

IMHO, the D25A Ti's win the "form" side of the equation (size, aesthetics, fit/finish) but the Quark's win the "function" side of the equation (driver, clip, versatility, serviceability).

I decided that size wasn't as important to me, and I got to get some hands on time with a friend's Quark and really liked it!

One final question, can I run a tactical style tailcap on a pro series body and keep all the functionality of mode switching?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
One final question, can I run a tactical style tailcap on a pro series body and keep all the functionality of mode switching?

Yes, the UI will act like a US-made multimode light (eg, Surefire, Malkoff, McGimzo) - half press to select mode and fully click to lock it in. Subsequent off/on cycling will advance to next higher mode, except if off >4 sec, it will reset to moonlight. Be advised that a foward clicky on the Pro UI does not make it a true momentary light capable of morse code signaling (for example), and the tactical clicky does not tailstand. Any true momentary-from-off function requires a separate mode control.

That said, there's a great work-around on the Pro UIs that gives you a momentary max function from any lower mode in use - works just like a car's high beam flashers.... it's one of my all-time favorite UI "features" of any light :D.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a QTA and a D25 Ti, the Eagletac is definitely easier to carry and looks great, but on 14500 the QTA wins overall, as it retains lower modes. The Eagletac seems to have only medium and Turbo with 14500s. Love the QTA UI too.