AA rechargeable State of the Art: Eneloop Pro, Tenergy 2600, Amazon High-Capacity

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Flashlighters,

I haven't followed the AA/AAA rechargeable market for a couple of years. What's the skinny on the three listed above? How would you rate them? Do the cheaper ones approach the Eneloop Pro? Will all of them be happy on a MAHA 9000?

Thanks!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, with Panasonic supposedly supplying other labels with the Eneloop (FDK) Fujitsu type technology, who really knows?

I'm somebody that likes to try out different things in the beginning and so 3 years ago, I bought various NiMH HSD/LSD types.

The problem isn't really a 'capacity' issue, as #1--many labels fudge their numbers in the first place and #2--the lessor quality batteries that may, or many not have more capacity than good old Eneloops, generally go south over a shorter period of time.

Going forward, I'm not buying anything that isn't an Eneloop (FDK) battery that I know is made in Japan.

Now, this being said, spending $12 on a quad from a competing brand isn't going to bankrupt a person, especially over a 3 year span, but Eneloops are just one of those products that really is at the top of its class.

Chris

Amelia

Enlightened
I received a new 4-pack of Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA (the latest gen. with "Eneloop Pro" printing, not "XX" printing) on Friday. Charged/tested them (Opus BT-C3400) over the weekend. Figures:

2687mAH
2586mAH
2691mAH
2598mAH

I'm impressed.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend the AmazonBasics 2400mAh that are made in Japan; I believe them to be Eneloop Pros available at low cost. I have a set of 16 and they've been flawless.

I highly recommend Duracell Ion Core 2400mAh that are made in Japan; I believe them to be Eneloop Pros available at low cost. I have a set of 16 and they've been flawless.

I highly recommend Eneloops of any flavor that are made in Japan; I do believe that they are the best! You can get their full quality without paying their full price though. I have a set 16 1900mAh Eneloops and they've been flawless.

I highly recommend not buying Tenergy batteries, explained in this link; YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Going forward, I'm not buying anything that isn't an Eneloop (FDK) battery that I know is made in Japan.

Now, this being said, spending $12 on a quad from a competing brand isn't going to bankrupt a person, especially over a 3 year span, but Eneloops are just one of those products that really is at the top of its class.

I feel the same way. I was checking out the Amazon Basics. Good reviews, and they may end up being just as good as the Eneloops for my use...but saving a few dollars isn't worth it to me. That $3 savings is worth $100 peace of mind given these things last for year and years. In 5+ years when they're still kicking, I won't be wondering where that $3 went.

Edit: I just saw Grijons post. I'm not saying the Amazon Basics aren't worth trying, or that they are not made in Japan. Just not worth the "gamble" for me. Still tempted though!

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a new 4-pack of Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA (the latest gen. with "Eneloop Pro" printing, not "XX" printing) on Friday. Charged/tested them (Opus BT-C3400) over the weekend. Figures:

2687mAH
2586mAH
2691mAH
2598mAH

I'm impressed.

Are those made in China or Japan?

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Japan.
Panasonic P/N BK-3HCCA4BA Eneloop Pro AA 4-Pack.

I just looked those up online. $17.00! :eek:oo: If folks here on this forum are correct, the Duracell Ion Cores that Walmart sells for $10.99 are rebranded Eneloop Pros. Target also sells them for the same price. A much better deal and you do not have to wait for them, assuming you have one of these stores near you!

Amelia

Enlightened
I just looked those up online. $17.00! :eek:oo: If folks here on this forum are correct, the Duracell Ion Cores that Walmart sells for $10.99 are rebranded Eneloop Pros. Target also sells them for the same price. A much better deal and you do not have to wait for them, assuming you have one of these stores near you!

I have some of the "Ion Core" Duracells too They are the same as the older "XX" labeled (2nd Generation) Eneloop Pro cells, not the same as the latest (3rd generation) "Eneloop Pro" labeled cells like I tested. I'm typically getting around 2400-2500mAH from the "Ion Core" Duracells. I think the highest capacity one I've charged was 2543mAH.

I think Panasonic is the only source for the newest generation Eneloop Pro cells (like the ones I tested). but I could be mistaken. Yeah - they're pricey, but sometimes that extra few minutes of light runtime or extra few digital camera pix can be priceless. :)

The Ion Core Duracells are definitely one of the best deals out there right now for $/mAH though. I plan on buying more. The Panasonic 3rd gen. are a bit too high priced right now, I'll probably only get a few more of those.

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Toys R Us sells the Ion Cores for $8.99. Walmart will price match, in my experience.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22268676&cp=&parentPage=search

markr6

Flashaholic
Japan.
Panasonic P/N BK-3HCCA4BA Eneloop Pro AA 4-Pack.

I usually buy Eneloops from reputable dealers thru Amazon, or directly from Amazon. They were $15.59 this morning, $16.79 right now. The price varies so you can keep an eye on things and try to get a deal.