AC to DC Power Converter

smopoim86

Enlightened
Meanwhile, I'm working at modifying the disassembled pack so I can strip the individual cells out for use in other devices and still utilize the pack to re-charge them in the VPX charger.

I've done this for 3 different vpx packs. If you want one of the adapted packs, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. I charge by hobby charger now.

On topic: I would say, get a hand pump for bike tires, or just get a cheap 110 compressor. If you're dead set on getting a 12 power supply, i got this for powering my hobby chargers. It's 13.5v but that's closer to a car output that the 11.75v you'll get from the computer psu under load. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160362053347

kimck99

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your input. The battery charger/starter seems like a possible solution with little modification attached a "cigarette" adapter and I may go that route. But a simplier solutions to be to have a separate compressor for the car and for the house.

You inputs have been appreciated! Good night all.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you could get a small 5 or 10 gallon air tank 35 bucks at Lowes. These often can be filled using the tire inflator and then you can have the benefits of an air tank and take the compressor with you in your car and still have a supply of air at home.

J_C

Enlightened
I suppose it depends on what you need to inflate and your storage space. A shop type air compressor with tank is certainly the most versatile for home use, though bulkier and costlier for something of fair quality. If you have tubeless tires on wheelbarrow/mower/tractor/etc, or are likely to replace tires yourself on a trailer, motorcycle or automobile, it can be hard to re-seat the bead on a rim with a low volume compressor like the one you have that plugs into the lighter outlet, either a much higher capacity racing/etc automotive pump "might" work (with smaller tires, probably not very good for anything over ~17" or so, tire dia. not rim size, or a shop compressor with tank is best. The one thing I probably wouldn't bother buying is an AC pump of low capacity (typically what you'd get for $50 or less), since it would add no new versatility beyond running off an outlet, but on the other hand it is smallest and cheapest, and quite suitable for lesser tasks like inflating toys and tubed bicycle or motorcycle tires... but on the other hand, most versatile is owning every tool possible... the one with the most toys WINS!

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened
I've done this for 3 different vpx packs. If you want one of the adapted packs, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. I charge by hobby charger now.

Thanks for the most generous offer smopoim86. But as long as I don't inadvertently break anything, I should be okay with the pack casing I have on hand.

I did bookmark you post though, just in case...

James2augestin

Newly Enlightened
I suppose it depends on what you need to inflate and your storage space. A shop type air compressor with tank is certainly the most versatile for home use, though bulkier and costlier for something of fair quality. If you have tubeless tires on wheelbarrow/mower/tractor/etc, or are likely to replace tires yourself on a trailer, motorcycle or automobile, it can be hard to re-seat the bead on a rim with a low volume compressor like the one you have that plugs into the lighter outlet, either a much higher capacity racing/etc automotive air pump "might" work (with smaller tires, probably not very good for anything over ~17" or so, tire dia. not rim size, or a shop compressor with tank is best. The one thing I probably wouldn't bother buying is an AC pump of low capacity (typically what you'd get for $50 or less), since it would add no new versatility beyond running off an outlet, but on the other hand it is smallest and cheapest, and quite suitable for lesser tasks like inflating toys and tubed bicycle or motorcycle tires... but on the other hand, most versatile is owning every tool possible... the one with the most toys WINS!

The Pyramid 12 Amp continuous/14 peak power supplies are about $55 to $65 IIRC. I would guess that the 11 Amp you quote might be starting amps?

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pyramid 12 Amp continuous/14 peak power supplies are about $55 to $65 IIRC. I would guess that the 11 Amp you quote might be starting amps?

As I mentioned here the Dell DA1 12V 150W PSU is usually availabel on eBay for < $10, and for a few dollars more you can get a 47A 575W HP DPS-600. Both are high quality power supplies . Such reuse of computer SMPS is heavily discussed on RC hobby forums (e.g. rcgroups.com)

Latest posts