Acebeam EC65 review (21700, 4x XHP35 HI, cool white)

=the=

Newly Enlightened
The UI is simple and intuitive. There's shortcuts to the lowest and highest modes and memory. Perfect in my opinion. Only thing I would probably change is the always return to low from turbo and strobe with long press. Returning to the previously used mode would fit the memory theme.

Thanks! Returning to low follows the logic that long press changes to the next mode.

The original design had double click back to previously used mode, but that wasn't implemented to EC65 for some reason. Let's see if we can get this included to future versions.. :)

maukka

Enlightened
The double click from turbo was actually my first way of trying to get back to the previous mode and it should be implemented for sure.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same issue with my Acebeam L16. My Olight R50 returns from Turbo to the previous mode with a long press and I much prefer that UI.
Maybe nit-picking, but double clicking briefly turns the light off-then back on each time, and although effective seems awkward.

hehaw77

Newly Enlightened
I have the same issue with my Acebeam L16. My Olight R50 returns from Turbo to the previous mode with a long press and I much prefer that UI.
Maybe nit-picking, but double clicking briefly turns the light off-then back on each time, and although effective seems awkward.

Yeah you are nit picking..... the L16 has a back button for turbo max so no issues there..... I own it like you do. Even did a comparison with the thrunite cat 6

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah you are nit picking..... the L16 has a back button for turbo max so no issues there..... I own it like you do. Even did a comparison with the thrunite cat 6

Nit picking for sure, but isn't that a trait of flasholics?
I only use the tailcap turbo mode for bump in the dark scenarios. When walking, I use the side switch to adjust output according to conditions, and the inability for a brief turbo blast and return to prior mode is annoying.

Sindag

Newly Enlightened
Just received the EC65 in the mail today.

Here's some size comparisons between the EC65, Nitecore EC21 and Olight S1A Baton.

ILRkzvFh.jpg

tgM4qdTh.jpg

t0RO5gVh.jpg

The EC65 will replace my EC21 as my EDC backpack flashlight and the S1A will remain my EDC pocket flashlight.

Nokoff

Enlightened
Great review, thanks!

I got a chance to compare a friend's Acebeam EC65 NW to my Manker E24 II with Nichia 219c. Just what we happened to have on us.

I can't be too harsh on the Acebeam but I still like my tint a lot more. The EC65 is white, pure flood, with no green so I'll give it credit. The EC65 glass is very frosted so that's what you'd expect.

Outdoors as well the E14 II has much better tint and distance and to my eyeball more lumens as well, even though on paper the EC65 should win the lumens race. My moonlight is sub, the EC65 could wake a bear.

For double the money of the E14 II, the EC65 should have a better UI, better looking, and be brighter. It's another recent case of rushing to get a 21700 torch to market and not checking all the right other boxes first; a big trend right now.

Just a quick compare for tint and hotspot.
82cb540a10bbc019c298a690eade81bc.jpg
bc1fd4836f1b3f340d62ae6acc352400.jpg
cfe82e1635fb02d89008d5dcd8089cca.jpg

spikebike

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a compact 21700 light and decided on the acebeam ec65. I was initially impressed, although the switch was a bit wonky. Sometimes it would turn off while walking or bike riding. Seems like the switch spring wasn't strong enough to keep it from triggering with movement. I'm not talking about smacking the flashlight into your hand, but road vibration while riding was enough to turn it off. The switch generally got worse, and now I can't turn it on at all. Pretty disappointing, I only bought the light in early June.

As far as troubleshooting I replaced the battery with a freshly charged battery and of course held down the power button in case it was in lock out mode.

lyyyghtey

Newly Enlightened
I got the EC65 in July of 2019 and I find it quite useful. It is my most often used EDC light presently (I carry several most of the time!) I have the floody optic in it, probably the 10623, I'm not quite sure and haven't had time to compare it. Anyway it's a great floody beam perfect for close-in work of all sorts, and the Nichia tint is beautiful! I'm glad it's readily modded and uses a standard optic!

The output is to my mind a nearly perfect compromise between power level, the light's size, and the length of time in turbo.

The UI is great, but I'm disappointed there's not a bit better leveling at the low end. It should have:
1. A true moon mode, probably around 0.5 to 1.0 lumen
( Adding another level to the existing 5 including turbo).
2. Less spacing between the existing lowest level and the next one up, probably by making the next one up a bit lower.
3. I'd really like the option of a tailcap magnet. I stuffed one in there at the expense of being able to use protected 21700 cells (not a big loss for me), but it's not very strong, which is due to the smallish amount of space available for a magnet along with the non-flat tailcap reducing the magnetic flux available at the steel surface of what the light is stuck to. I do like the diminutive size of this light whilst retaining the ability to house a 21700 cell, but I'd probably sacrifice a mm or two of longer length for a strong magnet option.

Just my 2¢!

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
I got the EC65 in July of 2019 and I find it quite useful. It is my most often used EDC light presently (I carry several most of the time!) I have the floody optic in it, probably the 10623, I'm not quite sure and haven't had time to compare it. Anyway it's a great floody beam perfect for close-in work of all sorts, and the Nichia tint is beautiful! I'm glad it's readily modded and uses a standard optic!

The output is to my mind a nearly perfect compromise between power level, the light's size, and the length of time in turbo.

The UI is great, but I'm disappointed there's not a bit better leveling at the low end. It should have:
1. A true moon mode, probably around 0.5 to 1.0 lumen
( Adding another level to the existing 5 including turbo).
2. Less spacing between the existing lowest level and the next one up, probably by making the next one up a bit lower.
3. I'd really like the option of a tailcap magnet. I stuffed one in there at the expense of being able to use protected 21700 cells (not a big loss for me), but it's not very strong, which is due to the smallish amount of space available for a magnet along with the non-flat tailcap reducing the magnetic flux available at the steel surface of what the light is stuck to. I do like the diminutive size of this light whilst retaining the ability to house a 21700 cell, but I'd probably sacrifice a mm or two of longer length for a strong magnet option.

Just my 2¢!

I agree, mode spacing is not ok, but the light is great. I have the nichia version but replaced the TIR lens for a 10621 for more throw

1/20/150/500/1400/2500 would be perfect (for nichia version)

lyyyghtey

Newly Enlightened
I agree, mode spacing is not ok, but the light is great. I have the nichia version but replaced the TIR lens for a 10621 for more throw

1/20/150/500/1400/2500 would be perfect (for nichia version)

Yes that does sound like decent mode spacing. I've been toying with swapping in the throwier optic, but I do enjoy the great wide ball of light it spits out currently. Also iirc this results in more of a yellowish center than that obtained with the super floody optic...

After using this light for more months it's still going strong, although I did drop it on its front end onto concrete from about 1.5 m last week which took out the window☹️ (thankfully only that!) so now I've gotta source a window replacement.