Acebeam W50 LEP flashlight first view - New pics added!

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Re: Acebeam W50 LEP flashlight first view

Yeah, this light and the X65GT: Currently unobtainable.

Yes. That X65GT should be an SBT90.2 light.

I am also wondering what happened to the G10 LEP weapon light. That one was on the website for a while but it disappeared...

Mark2

Enlightened

Distance has the same effect on a 0.1 degree beam as on a 100 degree beam. Read up on the inverse square law.

The effective origin of the light is not at the LED/LEP with non-isotropic light sources such as the flashlights discussed in this thread, but at a virtual position behind the actual light source on the beam axis, with the distance depending on the beam angle. This results in the effective distance from the light source doubling further away from a flashlight with a narrow beam angle than it would from a flashlight with a wide beam angle. Because of this, a flashlight with a very narrow beam angle is a lot more dangerous than one of the same lumens output with a wide beam angle, as it is able to damage someone's eyes much further away.

PolarLi

Enlightened

Because of this, a flashlight with a very narrow beam angle is a lot more dangerous than one of the same lumens output with a wide beam angle, as it is able to damage someone's eyes much further away.

Where did I say equal amount of lumens? I thought it was both obvious and implied you have to compare two lights with the same candela/throw but different beam angle. For all practical purposes, a 1 Mcd "narrow beam" light will throw exactly as far as any 1 Mcd "wide beam" light. The latter light will obviously have a lot more lumens, but the throw and capability to damage someones eyes will be the same. As I said, lux is lux, heck, I have it in my signature :sssh:

Last edited:

This discussion is getting more complicated than the subject matter. ;)

A light source, any light source has a power rating, the amount of luminous flux produced, typically in lumens. (The lumen is the SI derived unit of luminous flux, a measure of the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source per unit of time.) The power output of a light source may or may not say anything about eye exposure danger. A 100mW laser is more dangerous to the eye than a 100W light bulb. The cautions with high power levels are more along the lines of not setting your pocket or house on fire.

A light source will also have a specification of illuminance or intensity, how much power is being applied to a specified area. It can be lux (one lux is equal to one lumen per square meter.) It could also be foot-candles, candelas, or candlepower. This is what determines how much light will come in thru your pupils and land on your retinas and possibly damage them. It doesn't matter to anyone (including Federal regulations) what the light source is. LED lights are treated exactly the same as lasers. It doesn't matter what power the source is, how much light intensity will your retina be exposed to? Lasers use low power levels but have such little beam spread that high intensity light could get thru your pupil.

The LEP has a very tight beam. Because of this an LEP can be much more dangerous to use in public than an LED or arc-lamp of equal or even greater intensity. You can take a portable short-arc lamp light and narrow its beam to the tightest setting and then take a lux reading right in front of the light, get a big reading. But step 10' away and the reading will quickly drop off. With an LEP the danger of exposure to high intensity light doesn't drop off dramatically with distance in the same way. It will still have a significant amount of lux left after a distance where an arc light with the same measured lux has dissipated to a safe level. This is why you may see some incandescent or short-arc lights with 12,000,000 candlepower offered for sale to the public, but no LEPs (at this time) above 1,500,000 candle power.

Think of an LEP as a white laser, seriously, and respect it as one would a laser. No coherent light but the same sort of tight beam that makes even low power levels dangerous at considerable distances. The W30 brags that it can illuminate object farther away than you can see. The W300 will likely blind people farther away than you can see. :eek:

Last edited:

Magio

Enlightened

Because of this an LEP can be much more dangerous to use in public than an LED or arc-lamp of equal or even greater intensity. You can take a portable short-arc lamp light and narrow its beam to the tightest setting and then take a lux reading right in front of the light, get a big reading. But step 10' away and the reading will quickly drop off. With an LEP the danger of exposure to high intensity light doesn't drop off dramatically with distance in the same way. It will still have a significant amount of lux left after a distance where an arc light with the same measured lux has dissipated to a safe level. This is why you may see some incandescent or short-arc lights with 12,000,000 candlepower offered for sale to the public, but no LEPs (at this time) above 1,500,000 candle power.

Think of an LEP as a white laser, seriously, and respect it as one would a laser. No coherent light but the same sort of tight beam that makes even low power levels dangerous at considerable distances. The W30 brags that it can illuminate object farther away than you can see. The W300 will likely blind people farther away than you can see. :eek:

No every bit of this is wrong.

Because of this an LEP can be much more dangerous to use in public than an LED or arc-lamp of equal or even greater intensity.
Nope. The dangers that come from given intensities are the same no matter the light source( not accounting for possible UV output from the short-arc).

You can take a portable short-arc lamp light and narrow its beam to the tightest setting and then take a lux reading right in front of the light, get a big reading. But step 10' away and the reading will quickly drop off.
No this is wrong. If you have a short arc lamp like the Maxabeam and you take a lux reading at one meter in front of the light you will get a significantly lower number than if you take it at 25m ( the distance the Maxabeams lux is measured at) and convert back to 1 meter.

With an LEP the danger of exposure to high intensity light doesn't drop off dramatically with distance in the same way. It will still have a significant amount of lux left after a distance where an arc light with the same measured lux has dissipated to a safe level.
Intensity is intensity no matter the light source, and the rate at which intensity drops off is the same for all light sources of a given intensity.

This is why you may see some incandescent or short-arc lights with 12,000,000 candlepower offered for sale to the public, but no LEPs (at this time) above 1,500,000 candle power.
No thats not at all the reason why you see incandescent lights with a 12million CP rating. There are no true 12million CP handheld incandescent lights available. If you see one labeled as such its either a lie or they are using some non-standard way of measuring candlepower that results in grossly inflated numbers. And the only handheld short arc light available that is rated at 12million CP is the Maxabeam and its rating is accurate, and it throws way farther than any of the 1.5 million CP LEPs, and is far more dangerous than any of them too.

Magio

Enlightened

Looks like its still using a class 3b laser like the W30

50891124906_98fbf02b86_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

50891240602_020d10e5d9_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

kolchak

Newly Enlightened

Well this answers the question a: It is not available without a signed industry use agreement (in red at the bottom of the page) and b: It uses the same strength laser but enhanced optics and efficiency as I suspected. At 2300.00 it's not cheap. Great pics btw!

So on to waiting for the W40 and hopefully G10...

37Blenman

Newly Enlightened

I have one, actually 2 in my house at the moment. I've just done a review on them too. Not a bad light, have a look if you like, hopefully this link works. Otherwise, look up michaels flashlight reviews on youtube, w50 review. https://youtu.be/KEBSn0B23F8

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one, actually 2 in my house at the moment. I've just done a review on them too. Not a bad light, have a look if you like, hopefully this link works. Otherwise, look up michaels flashlight reviews on youtube, w50 review. https://youtu.be/KEBSn0B23F8

Wow! Thanks for sharing and doing the video. Maybe next time you can break out your quad W30 and compare it to this. That quad build still amazes me.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the video!
I did some calculations based on Acebeam's specs:
Lumens in spot mode: 2550
Lumens in flood mode: 2421
If these are in any way close to reality this light is far brighter than all other LEP lights currently available (except maybe the big one from Microfire). It's also much brighter than most available aspheric
LED lights because most of those suffer from poor efficiency when fully focussed due to their single-lens designs.

It can also be seen in the video that this light uses the design without the backwards facing mirror on the inside of the front lens. The phosphor is instead lit from behind.

Last edited:

37Blenman

Newly Enlightened

Hello, thank you! It's a nice light, tho with the sample I have, I measured it at 1055 lumen on flood, and the candela was 3.26mcd. Acebeam mentioned the production version will be higher on both lumens and candela.

Magio

Enlightened

Wow! I think you are the first person to do an independent review of it. Performance is disappointing for the price though.

37Blenman

Newly Enlightened

Wow! I think you are the first person to do an independent review of it. Performance is disappointing for the price though.
Yeah, its lower than anticipated, tho Acebeam tell me the production version will have higher output. Did you by chance see the 4 x w30 lights I bolted together on my youtube channel? I'm hoping one of the manufacturers will build a quad lep similar but with 1 battery carrier.

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been away for quite a while, came back just now, because it was only yesterday (!) that I read about LEP lights…
So, my first thought was "Funny, typo of course! they obviously mean LED lights… don't they?"

So, after reading into LEP for a few hours, I now know that I've been away for too long!
Very interesting developments I must say. I definitely am going to dig deeper into this matter.

What I don't understand, is that members like DocMem think they have all answers, and spread them as the truth! Well, Magio already sufficiently nailed it in the butt!

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So the Maxtoch Owleyes W Pro, although using 2 emitters beats this in throw now and is publicly available... it's around 900lm vs the W50's claimed 1400.