Adapters for 3(L)R12 available in the USA?

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
You could probably make an adapter out of a dead 3R12 battery and 3 AA battery holders in series - no need to 3D print anything.
Thanks, I thought of that. I might be able to cut one open. They are usually sonic welded or glued, otherwise sealed.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I intend to do:
Open up the dead batteries, and empty out the dead B cells. Keep the two terminal strips in situ.

Wire up 3 x 4/5A cells in series to the terminal strips. A bit of foam will compensate for the extra length.

An alternative would be to parallel 3 x 18500 cells inside the plastic container, and wire that up.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
Here's what I intend to do:
Open up the dead batteries, and empty out the dead B cells. Keep the two terminal strips in situ.

Wire up 3 x 4/5A cells in series to the terminal strips. A bit of foam will compensate for the extra length.

An alternative would be to parallel 3 x 18500 cells inside the plastic container, and wire that up.
Finding 3LR12 batteries that aren't sonically welded or glued together with epoxy is the problem I am having!

Last edited:

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
It's been a while. I thought I'd post here to see if there were any updates.

I still can't find 3R12 or 3LR12 batteries domestically for a fair price.
I would still like to have an adapter to use AA batteries.
Ideally, I'd love to have some rechargeable B cells to use as well. But no one seems to make them. Surely someone must, since they are inside some sealed devices.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't any 3lr12 on sale in USA, there are no devices sold in USA that use it, same for B cells. I ordered adapters from Germany, they cost me way more than they worth, but i wanted to see my 40-50 years old soviet flashlights light up again. Then I had a friend bring me 2 batteries from Germany, they lasted a lot longer than 3xaa in adapters.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had massive delays in getting one of these. I seems Customs put a hole in the package and then opened it to see what it was.

They work!

Attachments

• 1A5294EB-81BD-4E95-B6CF-2411DC356FFE.jpeg
    1A5294EB-81BD-4E95-B6CF-2411DC356FFE.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 57
  • BFC82088-ACF6-4EBE-9672-9086FDB2E2DC.jpeg
    BFC82088-ACF6-4EBE-9672-9086FDB2E2DC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never heard of these batteries before but I see we can purchase them from Australian E-Stores, thanks for the upload never seen a light that required them before either 👍

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had massive delays in getting one of these. I seems Customs put a hole in the package and then opened it to see what it was.

They work!
Where did the package came from, Australia? This is the only country i had packages come from that opens them at customs and checks what is inside, they then put a label that says it was opened by customs, it happens every single time. I would not be surprised if they opened and read letters too.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old flashlight from the 80s use them.
My 60's phillips has identical contruction with an added morse button.
No label.
One could indeed use 2 c cells with an appropriate spacer and contact.
Its tight though.
Maybe my nimh are larger than spec o.d?
If you dont care about originality one could solder a wire from the right contact to ground.
Sand off the paint on the inside left botton and drop in an 18650.
Maybe fashion some spacers to hold it in place?
Note this is on my metal phillips unit.
YMMV!