Airline friendly Mulitool

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
Is there a keyring sized Airline friendly multitool?
Ideally, I'd want a can/bottle opener, neednose Pliers, Screwdrivers and thats about it.

Any idea's?

K-T

*Moderator*
I don't actually know if there is a Multitool that would fit your description but I wouldn't take the risk!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
No kidding... No nail clippers allowed? No tweezers? For cryin' out loud... I can see it now.

(Rough looking dude with tweezers in hand):

"Nobody move or I'll...."

"or I'll...."

"I'll pluck your eyebrows, man!"

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
Ha ! One or two days ago a guy hijaked a bus with a knife in Berlin and demanded that some terorists to be released !

[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
No kidding... No nail clippers allowed? No tweezers? For cryin' out loud... I can see it now.

(Rough looking dude with tweezers in hand):

"Nobody move or I'll...."

"or I'll...."

"I'll pluck your eyebrows, man!"

[/ QUOTE ]

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sister has travelled many times recently with nail clippers.
The security personnel just break of the swivel-out pointy nail file.

I just returned from a flight with my home modified "TSA Custom-Multi-Tool".
I took a Stanley brand mini multi tool (because I had one on my desk). http://www.countycomm.com/knife8.htm I removed the blades and rounded out the nail file hook that might be considered threatening on the bench grinder. I attached the tool to my keys and placed them in the basket at the security check point. The TSA official on both of my trips examined it, but let it go through. This worked for me. Your attempts to do what I have done are at your own risk. I also figured that the tool was cheap enough I could afford to have it siezed if the TSA official wanted it.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
The Sebertech M2 won't pass (if they notice it) because of the screwdriver. I had one on my keys and I had to take it back to the ticket counter, put it in a box, and check it with the luggage if I wanted to keep it. This was in December 2001, so things could be different now.

notos&w

Enlightened
you've got to be kidding. no screwdrivers? everyone take note, this is what happens when you let government, esp the fed, get involved.

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
its so pathetic.
I mean come on, if I really want to hurt someone I wouldnt be using a 1" screwdriver. half the stuff you can find on a plane is more dangerous then that.
Guess I wont bother with one, if they take screwdrivers.
Its a sad old world!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before 9-11, nobody ever thought that a shaving razor blade can be used as a weapon. I doubt anyone would think a screwdriver can be used as one, until it does happen.

I can take my credit card out, cut someone's throat and kill them with it. But no one's going to agree with me that my drivers license or credit card should be banned from being carried on me.

It all comes down to how much liberty you're willing to give up to make it as difficult as can be (NOTICE I didn't say 100% prevent) for something like 9-11 to happen again.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
I think (unfortunately) that you are out of luck. I travel quite a bit and sometimes don't remember to remove all "weapons" before going through security---always really amusing when it's coming back home so I already cleared going the other way.

Airport to airport will vary greatly, but I've been stopped and not allowed to take through:
1. LM Squirt (even after I offered to remove the 1.3" blade
2. Seber M3 (dangerous screwdriver)
3. SAK Classic (that one was really a mistake)
4. LM Wave tool adapter (I had enough thought to remove the Wave, but didn't remember I had the tool adapter (with those nasty screwdriver bits in it)

Prior to 9/11 I had always travelled with a small SAK in my pocket and the Wave (and tool adapter) in my briefcase. For some reason I just don't seem to feel safer now, just frustrated.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I would venture to say that there ain't no way some dude armed with a screwdriver is going to take over a domestic flight post 9-11-01. Hell, I'm not sure a pistol would get you a plane now. I SURE AS HELL won't just sit there and let 'em.

Besides, a stainless steel ballpoint pen might help out in a pinch....

leddite

Enlightened
this whole "confiscation" mentality is so wrong. having to give up an item is bogus.

if they don't want one flying with something, they REALLY should be setup to allow one to "put it away" before you check your bags/etc.

whenver i fly now, i carry a small pre-postage paid padded envelope, on the odd chance i forget to make myself safe for flying. i figure that at the very least, i can give it someone that needs it too.