Alkaline-Quality or lack of

Nell

Enlightened
Why is it that Alkaline cells are so prone to leaking? Nickel metal or Lithium ions have never leaked on me. At least not yet. Alkaline seems to leak and destroy everything... This year I have lost a Icom hand held radio, a Streamlight and a Coast light due to alkaline cells. Why I use alkaline cells is because of the discharge of rechargeables .. yes I do have Eneloops, but most of my rechargeables are the older variety...

Are alkaline cells so poorly constructed that manufactures are willing to pay off those willing to send packages of destroyed electronic goods to them? That's what it seems like. What is the missing component to quality alkaline cells that don't leak? Is it the venting or the shell of the cells?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know. I have collected many alkaline cells in varying states of charge from new down to about 0.6 V in all sorts of brands. In my whole lifetime I have never had a cylindrical cell leak on me, though I once had a problem with a 9 V battery I forgot about for years before checking it.

I think some devices may have a parasitic drain and leaving cells in those devices would be a problem. Or maybe environmental conditions like excessive heat may have something to do with it.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know. I have collected many alkaline cells in varying states of charge from new down to about 0.6 V in all sorts of brands. In my whole lifetime I have never had a cylindrical cell leak on me, though I once had a problem with a 9 V battery I forgot about for years before checking it.

I think some devices may have a parasitic drain and leaving cells in those devices would be a problem. Or maybe environmental conditions like excessive heat may have something to do with it.

Lots of people have leaks with boxed, ziploc'd, or in-flashlights-with-real-switches. Parasitic drain is definitely not the only source of trouble. Alkalines leak because they have caustic chemicals in a just-expensive-enough-to-hold containing jacket.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of people have leaks with boxed, ziploc'd, or in-flashlights-with-real-switches. Parasitic drain is definitely not the only source of trouble. Alkalines leak because they have caustic chemicals in a just-expensive-enough-to-hold containing jacket.
Each of us will therefore have to go by our own experiences. For sure I have seen pictures of leaking batteries, but the situation remains that I have never had one leak in my possession. So while I am cautious about the risk and try to check my batteries every few months, I am not overly worried. I still have alkalines lying around and I still put them in clocks and stuff to use them up.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The alkaline batteries uses zinc at negative pole. Zinc has a very high energy density, it is relatively cheap, and is non-toxic.

Zinc is also an amphoterous metal: it means that it is corroded both from acid and alkaline solutions. Originally the zinc was used in carbon-zinc batteries, which uses a neutral electrolyte, so the fact it is amphoterous wasn't a problem.

With the invention of alkaline batteries, zinc was mixed with small quantities of mercury, to form an "amalgama" which is an alloy at all effects, even if it is created without any heat. This "amalgama" is not reacting with the potassium hydroxyde, which is the electrolyte present in alkaline batteries.

Following the 1990 mercury ban, manufacturers had to find a substitute for the very toxic mercury. Initially they were adding lead and zinc oxide to the zinc; to slow down the production of hydrogen gas.
The production of hydrogen was not relevant with mercury amalgama; it become important when mercury had to be removed from alkaline batteries.

In the first years of 1990 it was found that replacing the lead (which was less toxic than mercury, but toxic nonetheless) with small and equal quantities of bismuth and indium to the powdered zinc reduced the formation of hydrogen even more.
From then, the formulation of alkaline batteries has not changed much.

The problem lie in the fact that the quantity of hydrogen that is formed when the alkaline battery is idle is purely theoretical; many unaccounted factors contributes to the increase of the quantity of hydrogen production, first of all the purity of the chemical components used. This degradation "by design" of alkaline batteries often goes out-of-hand, and the battery leaks.

Reality is - that alkaline batteries are reliable only up to two years from the date of manufacture. For the known marketing reasons, the manufacturers extends the shelf life of the batteries artificially, with the results we all have seen... I had uncounted alkaline batteries, over the years, leaking in their packaging, still unused.

Equipment manufacturers suggest to replace batteries every year for a reason...

Regards

Anthony

ZFlash

Newly Enlightened
I think there are quality differences between brands how to isolate the corroding materials inside.
Have read that only drained cells tend to leak, thats a bigger problem if you use 8 cells in series for example (there needs only to be one damaged/drained cell in the whole package that is blown up by the others).

For any valuable thing that needs batteries I'm going for accus, prefering eneloops :grin2:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are quality differences between brands how to isolate the corroding materials inside.
Have read that only drained cells tend to leak, thats a bigger problem if you use 8 cells in series for example (there needs only to be one damaged/drained cell in the whole package that is blown up by the others).

For any valuable thing that needs batteries I'm going for accus, prefering eneloops :grin2:

It's untrue that only drained alkaleaks leak.

Flic

Enlightened
The alkaline batteries uses zinc at negative pole. Zinc has a very high energy density, it is relatively cheap, and is non-toxic.

Zinc is also an amphoterous metal: it means that it is corroded both from acid and alkaline solutions. Originally the zinc was used in carbon-zinc batteries, which uses a neutral electrolyte, so the fact it is amphoterous wasn't a problem.

With the invention of alkaline batteries, zinc was mixed with small quantities of mercury, to form an "amalgama" which is an alloy at all effects, even if it is created without any heat. This "amalgama" is not reacting with the potassium hydroxyde, which is the electrolyte present in alkaline batteries.

Following the 1990 mercury ban, manufacturers had to find a substitute for the very toxic mercury. Initially they were adding lead and zinc oxide to the zinc; to slow down the production of hydrogen gas.
The production of hydrogen was not relevant with mercury amalgama; it become important when mercury had to be removed from alkaline batteries.

In the first years of 1990 it was found that replacing the lead (which was less toxic than mercury, but toxic nonetheless) with small and equal quantities of bismuth and indium to the powdered zinc reduced the formation of hydrogen even more.
From then, the formulation of alkaline batteries has not changed much.

The problem lie in the fact that the quantity of hydrogen that is formed when the alkaline battery is idle is purely theoretical; many unaccounted factors contributes to the increase of the quantity of hydrogen production, first of all the purity of the chemical components used. This degradation "by design" of alkaline batteries often goes out-of-hand, and the battery leaks.

Reality is - that alkaline batteries are reliable only up to two years from the date of manufacture. For the known marketing reasons, the manufacturers extends the shelf life of the batteries artificially, with the results we all have seen... I had uncounted alkaline batteries, over the years, leaking in their packaging, still unused.

Equipment manufacturers suggest to replace batteries every year for a reason...

Regards

Anthony

Thanks for the detailed information. I also have had a number of alkaline cells leak while still sealed in package WELL BEFORE their "use by" dates. Energizers seem to be worse than other brand names (e.g. Duracell) but they have been great in replacing any items damaged by leaking cells. Mind you I do not think that Energizer actually makes any cells. Batteries state that they are "made for Energizer Holdings".

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have had brand new in the pack alkaleak cells :p
I have only theories why they leak... one is temperature during shipment and harsh handling when hot or cold. I know leakage chance increases also if they get reverse charged in multiple cell lights. I have had batteries with full voltage in them from 2 years old to 10 years old leak on me, age seems to be somewhat irrelevant after about a year. About the only two things you can do is either not store them in lights or use non alkaline batteries to prevent leaking. checking often will minimize damage but many things even if the batteries leak a little the chemicals can strip the shininess off contacts for good making you have to occasionally polish them from then on. It also gums up aluminum inner light tubes and strips off the coatings.

Nell

Enlightened
My most recent episode is with a Energizer cell in a Coast made BMW flashlight that I got from a member in the UK. When I tried the lemon juice to clean out the inside, I discovered the level of destruction caused by the leak. Thread and adjacent area destroyed along with the finish on the outside damaged severely. I had to hammer the cell out, thankfully both ends opened up so I could remove the cell. No chance of a replacement on this light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My most recent episode is with a Energizer cell in a Coast made BMW flashlight that I got from a member in the UK. When I tried the lemon juice to clean out the inside, I discovered the level of destruction caused by the leak. Thread and adjacent area destroyed along with the finish on the outside damaged severely. I had to hammer the cell out, thankfully both ends opened up so I could remove the cell. No chance of a replacement on this light.
did you ask energizer if they would replace the light?

jellydonut

Enlightened
We use the local grocery store brand ('Novaline Maxima') alkaline AA, AAA, C- and D-cell batteries. Used in various appliances around the house but more relevantly in standard 2C Mags and 2xAA Minimags. I have yet to see these little guys leak, and we've used them for years.

Now that I've upgraded all our Mags including the Minimag to XP-G we'll see how they do. :whistle:

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question here should be "when are they going to leak", rather than "whether or not they will." As explained in detail above, the chemistry makes them prone to leaking. Quality is a part of it, but even the highest quality cells can leak, so you need to do your best to avoid serious damage, through routine inspection (catching it early) or isolating the cells.

If you don't keep a stockpile and don't keep any around too long, that will decrease the chances of them leaking. Storing them in a cool environment will also help. Using name-brands that aren't Made in China will also help. Notice the lack of certainty here, it's all about decreasing risk.

I never use alkalines in enclosed spaces (flashlights and other devices where a leak can seal the battery compartment shut) unless it is only for a short period of time. For occasionally-used devices, I would recommend storing batteries seperately, or using NiMH or lithium primary.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I still use alkalines in remotes and C and D and 9v alkalines in things but I constantly check things to make sure they haven't leaked. I have found that about half the time if you catch them quick enough the damage is minimal such that you can clean up the mess and polish contacts of corrosion. If leaks are left too long the build up seals things shut and destroys electrical circuits and even electronic components. It is like gambling using alkalines IMO.. the chances are low monthly you will have one leak but use enough of them enough months and it will happen.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
In addition to the excellent explanation provided by Anthony, it is worth noting that alkaline batteries use a flooded electrolyte design, unlike NiCd and NiMH which used starved electrolyte designs. This means that if an alkaline battery vents, it is almost certainly going to shoot out electrolyte. However, when a NiCd or NiMH cell vents, the vent gas carries only a tiny amount of moisture that may form a white crust on the positive terminal, but nothing really damaging.

With respect to one brand being better or worse than any other, I have not noticed this, at least among the major manufacturers. In my experience, if you buy enough of one type eventually you will get some leakers. I think that it is simply a matter of sample size and probability.

With respect to Flic's comment, Energizer does indeed manufacture its own carbon-zinc, alkaline and lithium batteries. Most of the alkaline and lithium (1.5 V only) are manufactured in the US. In addition, they manufacture miniature alkaline, silver-zinc and zinc-air, also in the US.

Cheers,
BG

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
With respect to Flic's comment, Energizer does indeed manufacture its own carbon-zinc, alkaline and lithium batteries. Most of the alkaline and lithium (1.5 V only) are manufactured in the US. In addition, they manufacture miniature alkaline, silver-zinc and zinc-air, also in the US.

They also make quite a few store-brands out there.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's completely random whether you get leaks.

This year I had some Kirkland Signature (Duracell) batteries and Duracell batteries leak while in use. Incidently all the batteries had the same Use By date (03/2014).

On the flip side, I have 4 Duracell D cells in an old Coleman lantern that are in very good shape and are providing sufficient voltage under load.
Not bad considering their Use By date was March 2002.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It's completely random whether you get leaks.

This year I had some Kirkland Signature (Duracell) batteries and Duracell batteries leak while in use. Incidently all the batteries had the same Use By date (03/2014).

On the flip side, I have 4 Duracell D cells in an old Coleman lantern that are in very good shape and are providing sufficient voltage under load.
Not bad considering their Use By date was March 2002.

yup, random is right. I have noticed that typically the first year or two alkaline cells tend to not leak but after that it is pot luck and once you put them in something regardless of whether you drain even 1ma from them, keep them in perfectly mild temps or baby them...... :poof: they leak anyway. I have had no name batteries in stuff in extremes beaten mercilessly and not leak and then brand new name brands leak in the package 2 years before the expiration date. I am beginning to wonder if it is something having to do with the manufacturing and shipping and presale conditions more than anything we do after you buy them.