Alternative to jetbeam mk1? Button clicky

kfxguy

Newly Enlightened
New guy here. First post. Not new to flashlights, I've had an affliction for flashlights (and headlights) for a long time.
Anyways, I'm looks for the perfect light for me. I have a little jetbeam mk1 that I run 14500 in, it's impressive for what it is. It's more of a thrower with good spill. I'd like a single 14500 light that could match this light but button activated on the end.
I just bought two different led version convoy t3's and while they are bright, they are throwy at all. I did order a few different mcpcb's (osram) for them to try but if I could just buy something, I'd be ok with that. It's going to take a while to get my mcpcb's from kaidomain anyways. Thx

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use several of these, and while perhaps not perfect (and what is?), I find them very useful / usable, and handy. All they really lack for me is an (all important) momentary action capability in the switch, but I like them despite that shortcoming due to their other advantages, and that would of course make them longer. Mine are XML2, 219C, and SST20 versions, and using a conventional type reflector (vs TIR or other type of optical element) as they do, they all provide a good (for me) combination of throw and spill. The XPL-HI would likely be even more 'throwy' than mine.

There may be other options to look at, and possibly better ones, but this is just one you might consider. If you have questions, I might have an answer.

EDIT: Just realized the link to specs on IG's site is broken, so here's one that's alive:

Last edited:

kfxguy

Newly Enlightened
What emitters did you get in the T3s?
O wait. Sorry, that's the emitters I ordered to try out. What came in them, that I don't know. I bought the pair off eBay, came in an unmarked bag and I emailed the seller to find out and he said he had no idea what they were. One is probably the 5700k version and the other one was around 4000k but I dedomed that one and it turned purple.

Last edited:

kfxguy

Newly Enlightened
I use several of these, and while perhaps not perfect (and what is?), I find them very useful / usable, and handy. All they really lack for me is an (all important) momentary action capability in the switch, but I like them despite that shortcoming due to their other advantages, and that would of course make them longer. Mine are XML2, 219C, and SST20 versions, and using a conventional type reflector (vs TIR or other type of optical element) as they do, they all provide a good (for me) combination of throw and spill. The XPL-HI would likely be even more 'throwy' than mine.

There may be other options to look at, and possibly better ones, but this is just one you might consider. If you have questions, I might have an answer.

EDIT: Just realized the link to specs on IG's site is broken, so here's one that's alive:

Thanks. I did see that one the other day, pricey if I'm not mistaken. I'll check into it again, and see if I can get some beam shot videos on it.
Will it take a 14500? Surely it's not 405 lumens on an AA battery? If so, that's extremely impressive. (Edit: that's on 14500)

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened
There is the new version of the Jetbeam Jet 1~IBS. Nice light with decent regulation for its UI. It's larger than its predecessor and the FW1AA.
Jetbeam-Jet-Mark-1-IBS-02-600x600.png

kfxguy

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered a couple of convoy t2's in different colors, a lumintop tool and some other "800 lumen" 14500 light that looks like a convoy but I think it has that osram emitter that has a long throw. Maybe one of these will work for what I need it for (weapon light for .22 for armadillo dispatching). The wurkkos ts10 looks to be almost a copy of the lumintop fwaa also, so I may order one of those. I think the tool is probably going to be the one I use and I got one for $16.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a 18350/18650 light. I'm looking for something quite small and light that runs off AA/14500. Thanks for the recommendation though.

It runs off multiple battery sizes, including AA/14500.

In fact it runs off 1.2v AA and 3.7v 14500

kfxguy

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a lumintop tool aa 2.0. I was expecting more throw. Nice little light, but not what I was looking for. I like the size though. It'll still come in handy but not for pest control weapon light. Then I found out the lumintop GTA is basically a tool but with the osram chip and a thrower head. So I just ordered one of those. That thing looks like a serious micro thrower.

kfxguy

Newly Enlightened
I tell you guys what, on a 14500, the lumintop tool AA 2.0 is impressive! It's got the brightness, just not the throw I was looking for. If it had a tighter hotspot, it would be ideal. I'm really surprised (after trying it out at dark instead on in my shop) at how bright it is. If you dedome it, what does it do? I did a convoy and it turned it purple but it did make the beam tighter. I think I actually peeled off a coating on the chip.