Amondotech Illuminator 35 Watt HID Searchlight

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
postalguy said:
So when I order one from the website where it says "6000K", it will actually be 4200K?

Yes that is correct. The web site should say 4200K. I will talk to Wayne about fixing that. The manufacturer knows we are only interested in 4200K bulbs.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Chris_S

Newly Enlightened
My Amondotech has been dead since about 2 weeks after I bought it...Repeated charges don't seem to help and I put my 12 volt airplane battery charger (Battery Tender) on it as well for a while and that didn't change that fact it just flickers like I WANTS to start but cannot.

I NEVER deep cycled the battery, nor did I leave it unplugged for more than a week!

HELP! I don't want to have wasted 140 bucks!

Edit:
Well, I got out my fancy computer controllable multimeter and it wouldn't read DC or AC voltage--beat on it, got it to read AC! then took it completely apart and finally got it to read DC (don't know what I DID, but it works now)

Voltage on my SLA battery---2.5v!

Charging it now off a power supply (charging current 0.7amps) and hopefully back to life (though with likely VERY limited life)

Edit #2:
Charged it up....Still no go, strike strike and no stay lit!

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris S,

Wayne sells these batteries.
Email him since it sounds like you have a defective battery.
He may be able to send a replacement to you. If there is something else wrong with the light that is causing the battery to drain, then it does have a 1 year warranty.

Take Care,

Chris_S

Newly Enlightened
Yup, despite heroic battery charging---it is SOOOO dead.. flicker, flicker, dead..

Sigh....

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris_S said:
Yup, despite heroic battery charging---it is SOOOO dead.. flicker, flicker, dead..

Sigh....

I am curious, did you accidentally leave the switch on after the light flickered off. If you did, that could kill the battery. If not, then email Wayne.

Take Care,

Chris_S

Newly Enlightened
mtbkndad said:
I am curious, did you accidentally leave the switch on after the light flickered off. If you did, that could kill the battery. If not, then email Wayne.

Take Care,

Nope, it HOLDS ITS VOLTAGE fine when the switch is turned on! Shows all LEDS when battery check is pushed!

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris_S said:
Nope, it HOLDS ITS VOLTAGE fine when the switch is turned on! Shows all LEDS when battery check is pushed!

So the battery does charge and does hold voltage.
Is that correct?
If the answer is yes, then there is some other problem.
Have you emailed Wayne yet?
PM me if you have any other questions.

Take Care,

Chris_S

Newly Enlightened
Yes, battery is fine as holds voltage even when the switch is on, thus, has plenty of capacity....like I said before, it won't even start off an external 12volt power supply. I'm pretty sure it is the ballast, but for some reason the 110v charger doesn't seem to work either.

Amondotech finally did get back to me, so I can return it and get a replacement!

morelightnow

Enlightened
Chris_S said:
My Amondotech has been dead since about 2 weeks after I bought it...Repeated charges don't seem to help and I put my 12 volt airplane battery charger (Battery Tender) on it as well for a while and that didn't change that fact it just flickers like I WANTS to start but cannot.

I NEVER deep cycled the battery, nor did I leave it unplugged for more than a week!

Edit:
Well, I got out my fancy computer controllable multimeter and it wouldn't read DC or AC voltage--beat on it, got it to read AC! then took it completely apart and finally got it to read DC (don't know what I DID, but it works now)

Charging it now off a power supply (charging current 0.7amps) and hopefully back to life (though with likely VERY limited life)

Edit #2:

last time i diagnosed a problem on vehicle with hid and your problem, it was a ballast problem. once i got the old one out i realized that it had been removed and replaced so it was obvious but testing is impossible without an oscilloscope which i didn't have. even then i may have not been able to accurately diagnose the problem. you will have a very awesome light when it functions correctly.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris_S said:

Edit:

Edit #2:
buy a new battery... there cheap as heck... buy a UL quality one from an alarm company

mcgarth

Newly Enlightened
im new here i have a question about the amondotech, how much better is it than the harbor freight hid? meaning brightness and such. thanks i already have a harbor just wondering if its worth up grading?

rufusdufus

Newly Enlightened
Apparently the harbour freight has more throw.(larger reflector).

However I believe the AMONDOTECH is much more manageable as it is smaller with almost identical output.

So you won't be upgrading,just going to a smaller package with almost identical output.

I have 4 AMONDOTECHS and they are great.

BVH

Flashaholic
The other two differences are the quality of the beam - smoother, no artifacts and its a 4200K lamp, not a 5000K as with the Costco. The 4200K color, for me, is the absolute perfect color. A little "signature" HID blue to let you know its HID. The Costco has more blue in it.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcgarth said:
im new here i have a question about the amondotech, how much better is it than the harbor freight hid? meaning brightness and such. thanks i already have a harbor just wondering if its worth up grading?

I will pipe in here and agree with rufusdufus and BVH. The Amondotech Illuminator has a larger more useable hotspot and a very even transition from hotspot to corona to spill. With it's 4,200K bulb it illuminates outdoor objects much better then the 6,000K bulb of the Harbor Freight. As a result the throw is not much less and still way beyond what you will comfortably be able to see without binoculars. It is also 4 pounds lighter then the Harbor Freight which makes it a much better all around HID spotlight/searchlight. I have two of each and limit my use of the Costco HID(same as the Harbor Freight) to times when I need bright continuous light and do not need to carry it around.

I personally think if you are on a budget, the Amondotech Illuminator is the best HID bang for the buck around right now. I really like the color temp of the Amondotech Illumator too. BVH and I have talked about this on several occasions and at several shoots. It just seems to be the perfect color temp for illuminating outdoor objects.

Take Care,

Chris_S

Newly Enlightened
What is everyone's experience with Amondotech and returns? I returned my Illuminator several weeks ago and have yet to get a replacement!

Sigh....

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris S,

Email Wayne and ask him for an update.

Take Care,

Latest posts