AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: AN/VSS-1(V)2 Searchlight

Willem, let us know if that resolves the "fan" issue. I see considerable corrosion on the heat exchanger fins at the inlet and outlet on mine. At least one manual suggests running water through it to clean "debris." Maybe some H2S04/water would remove the corrosion and restore heat exchanger efficacy? (Don says I'm "anal" and he's right!)

From my PMs I know at least one other CPF'r was going to buy one! Fess-up! :D

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

Again, thanks for the info. Will let you know how I make out. Have to leave on a business trip for a week this Saturday, so Larry, your light may be up and running before I get back!!!!
Cleaning the heat exchanger probably is not a bad idea.
If there are enough people who will buy these light maybe we can all chip in and buy one as spare for parts.
Willem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Hi willem,

Just sent you an EM with the rest of the info attached. I have to be back in your neck of the woods in 2-4 weeks for 1 week+. (RI then CT) My "PSU" is still 2-4 weeks out, so you will be back before mine is up and running. I like your idea of a shared parts light! (I think I already have a lamp. :D )

If I get it up and running (sweating bullets!) I will offer a get-together, Memorial Day weekend at my shack at the end of tvod Rd, out in the Mojave and (with some help) there should be some pretty good beamshots! :D

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

Larry,

Thanks got the info. Well I hope I don't have a parts light on my hands, involuntarily!

Given the proper pinout schematic, I may have very well fried the "beast" Now it all makes sense that I could not turn off the light and that the fan motor was running right away after powerup! Before I invest in a relay (or use a breaker I already own – as a switch), I will have to just try and power it up by manual switching.

We will see what happens!

Willem.

ShortArc

Enlightened

Well, it looks like I may have burned out the igniter (or something).

As I am taking the light apart anyway I thought I would post a few pics.

On the top right (fist pic) is where the igniter is suppose to be mounted.

Second pic shows the igniter and third pic shows the heat exchanger. Good old Trane! Oh well, such is life…

Willem.

VSS1FrontDisAss.jpg

VSS1DisAssIngniter.jpg

VSS1DisAssHX.jpg

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

That's a bummer, Willem! :mecry: Post# 1 here has contact info for Robert at Peak Beam, and post# 33 seems to indicate some hope! The manual says there were two ignitor assy's used in the things and they are fully interchangeable. (#'s 9911 and F50006) As Robert (a fellow engineer) cautioned against what happened to you, he may know for sure what blew. :shrug:

My control box mating connector and relay arrived today, and the Allied cat#'s I posted above are gold! (Hopefully helps CarbonArc.) I also bought a 15ohm, 5W resistor to keep the 24vdc relay coil current at "stock" level :) I hope to start fabbing my mount this weekend. Good luck with fixing it!!!!!

Larry

CarbonArc

Newly Enlightened

Well i finally got my light up and running... that is the good news. however it only ran for about 5 minutes then it shut off, it seems like I had a faulty solenoid. However I replaced it and now the light will not power up. The beam was truly amazing. I have checked and double checked and then triple checked all of my wiring, and everything seems to be fine in that respect.

Initially the red indicator light on the control box worked (when the light functioned), however now it does not. it seems that all of the focusing/ shield changing contols on the control box work fine. I guess I am going to have to tear apart my light as well to see if the ignitor is the problem. Also I plan on checking the bulb.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

According to the manual, the red light on the control box only lights when the searchlight is in overdrive or if the temperature rises to high. Also, there should be a circuit breaker on the relay panel, which is immediately below the ignitor assembly. It looks like you have to remove the reflector to check it.

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

CarbonArc:

In essence the same thing happened to me. When I could not turn the light off due to the incorrect wiring scheme I simply killed the power supply. In theory that should have powered down everything "simultaneously" and not caused a problem with the igniter, however when I tried to start up again, nothing happened. I am assuming the igniter is toast? Also the circuit breaker tvodrd mentioned you can get to without removing the mirror but if you plan on having as much fun as I you will be removing a lot more!

Cheers,

Willem.

CarbonArc

Newly Enlightened

ShortArc

I have removed the entire assembly as you have. hopefully I am not stuck with a "parts light" but oh well, I am having the igniter tested by one of my EE friends. hopefully I will be able to find something to replace it... if not I guess ill have to shell out another 500 to get a new light... oh well its only money :) if i find out that the igniter is definitely the problem i will let you know, i will post some pictures tonight hopefully.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I'm at least 3 weeks behind you guys. I followed-up on my genset, and it sounds like mid April. :( I sure hope someone can chase down one of the "internal/depot" service manuals for them! Given the age of these things, those igniters could contain vacuum tubes!

I have what appears to be an early light, S/N 575, which presumably has the rebuildable relay panel assembly. Due to light surface corrosion, the printing on the small motors is long gone. I need to disassemble my replacement control box as the indicator light's housing spins in the panel. I hope to get started on my mount this weekend, but am having misgivings due to the problems you guys have experienced. Like, should I test it first before spending more time/$ on it. :shrug:

:popcorn:

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

tvodrd:

My suggestion would seriously be to fire the light up first (quick and dirty) and then start on all the refinements. When everything works many of us will flock to buy your drawings for the mount.

Willem.

PS. SN on mine is 630, Inspection date 7-17-91.

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Phased, it is a dimmable indicator with lamp replaceable from the front. The entire assembly is loose in the panel.

ShortArc, the mount will be Q&D- aluminum trunions in stamped pillow blocks and chain drive from some fairly small gearmotors. (Small enough that I'd better get the trunions pretty close to through the CG or I'll have to add a manual brake. :green: ) I doubt I will need to do drawings and the pics/details will be free! I think I will take your advice and Q&D test it prior to inve$ting too much more time in it.

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

No such thing as redundant when it comes to good illustrations (pics alike)!

Did you look inside the igniter yet? Nicely potted!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

If I keep goosing them, I expect my genset to power it mid April. I have cables/lugs/fuze/relay and most everything to light it. My light is in poorer condition than yours, based on the pics posted. I'm kind or wondering, given the missing cable/control if I may have been inadvertantly shipped one of PBS's "parts lights?" (There was a "shipping issue" with the MaxaBeam I bought from them on the CPF group buy. :shrug:

Larry