AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

BVH

Flashaholic
Hey IgNITEor, there's a lot of 7 ea., VSS/GSS ignitor boxes on Ebay starting at $150, BIN for $400.

ww.ebay.com/itm/AN-VSS-1-GSS-14-igniter-military-2-2Kw-xenon-short-art-tank-searchlight-7pcs-/130837399877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e76844945

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
Hey IgNITEor, there's a lot of 7 ea., VSS/GSS ignitor boxes on Ebay starting at $150, BIN for $400.

ww.ebay.com/itm/AN-VSS-1-GSS-14-igniter-military-2-2Kw-xenon-short-art-tank-searchlight-7pcs-/130837399877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e76844945

My listing. LMK if questions (or trade ideas).

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
For those looking for 28V power connectors/cables to hook up a VSS-3 or VSS-1
I got the MS3106E32-5S for $50 at Connector Distribution Corp 310-632-2466
4/2 Type W cable for $2.00/ft (5% discount when you sign up for newsletter) at Wire and Cable To Go 855-880-8010
MeanWell RSP-1500-27 power supplies (115/20A, can be paralleled) for $335 from PowerGate Express

My initial hookup was using 6ga THHN wired to the control box terminal block using ground lugs. Not the most secure or safe connection, but functional for testing.

* no relationship or recommendation to above suppliers, just my experience.

BVH

Flashaholic
Not sure i'm understanding why you're referencing the meanwells over the flowtrol rectifiers when the MW will underdrive the VSS's by a full Volt and you'd probably need 4 of them? That 1 Volt makes a big difference in output. The flowtrols are about $150-$175 & are 220/240 V which may be an issue but 120V 20 Amp recepticles are just as difficult to find plus you'd need 4 of them, all home runs to the panel. What am i missing?

Last edited:

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
Not sure i'm understanding why you're referencing the meanwells over the flowtrol rectifiers when the MW will underdrive the VSS's by a full Volt and you'd probably need 4 of them? That 1 Volt makes a big difference in output. The flowtrols are about $150-$175 & are 220/240 V which may be an issue but 120V 20 Amp recepticles are just as difficult to find plus you'd need 4 of them, all home runs to the panel. What am i missing?

You're right for the VSS-1, Lorain Flotrol is the way to go. I bought MeanWell first for my VSS-3, drives it at full 28V no problem, and I have 20A circuits everywhere. And it weighs about 5lbs vs. at least 75lbs for the Flotrol.

BVH

Flashaholic
OK, so rated at 27 but puts out 28V, that makes sense. How many are you using parallel for the VSS-3 and was it $335 each or for the number that you're using?

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
OK, so rated at 27 but puts out 28V, that makes sense. How many are you using parallel for the VSS-3 and was it $335 each or for the number that you're using?
RSP-1500-27 output is adjustable 24-30V, rated 56A. $355 each. I'm running just one for a VSS-3 (not A), 28V measured at the control box, about 54A. Ran it for an hour at a time, no issues, ambient was about 70.
I got a Lorain Flotrol (from CPF member modamag) but have not hooked it up yet.

Vodnik

Newly Enlightened
AN/VSS-1 Searchlight dimensions

Hello,

I'm a scale modeler and I plan to build a scale replica of AN/VSS-1 Searchlight. I managed to find its dimensions in a technical manual: 20.5" height, 31.5" depth and 30.75" width. But these dimensions most likely include all the mounting hardware at the rear and rails on sides. What I'm looking for are dimensions of the actual searchlight "body".

Could someone, who owns the real thing, measure it for me, please? I would like to know the height, width and depth of only the main searchlight unit, without side rails, latches, brakets, mounting hardware at the rear etc. Width and height could be measured at the searchlight "face", while depth could be measured across the top surface (without any protruding parts at the rear).
Thanks a lot in advance for any help! :thanks:

Pawel

Vodnik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for you replies, Gentlemen! Hopefully someone here still has this old searchlight and will be able to help me...

By the way, in the future I may be interested in making a scale replica of AN/VSS-3 too, so it's good to know that some of you have it :)

Vodnik

Newly Enlightened
I've got both the -3 and the -1. What specific measurements do you need?

Repeating what I wrote in my first post: What I'm looking for are dimensions of the actual searchlight "body". I would like to know the height, width and depth of only the main searchlight unit, without side rails, latches, brakets, mounting hardware at the rear etc. Width and height could be measured at the searchlight "face", while depth could be measured across the top surface (without any protruding parts at the rear).

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
I have a -1.
The outside depth, width, & height are: 20", 25-1/2", and 19-1/2".
The inside is approximately: 18", 24" and 18". That's to the inside of the glass in the front.
Hope this helps.