• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Annoucements - Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmander

Newly Enlightened
I had contacted Vinh earlier today about potentially modding a NiteCore CU6 with an XP-L (it has a stock XP-G2) and perhaps a slight current boost, but unfortunately he said he probably could't do anything with it. Bummer. Anyway, I had sent him a couple of UV/visible light animations though and he liked them enough to suggest I post them in this thread, since it might be of passing interest to some of you too. Even though Vinh did recommend this thread, I'm not sure if this is the right place really, so apologies if anyone feels it is seriously off-topic!

For a little background in case some are not familiar, the Chameleon series of lights from NiteCore all have a primary XP-G2 LED (440 lumens max), a secondary LED (more on this in a moment) and then two other small 5mm RGB LEDs, similar to some of the SRT series. The variations in the series are all to do with the secondary LED, where you can get a 3000mW XP-E LED in either red (CR6), green (CG6) or blue (CB6), an 850nm IR LED at 1500mW (CI6) and finally the one I have, which has a 3000mW 365nm UV LED (CU6).

Anyway, after thinking about this post, I decided I might annoy people here with a bunch of photos and animations, so I decided to keep it short and post the rest of it here...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...P-G2-UV-RGB)&p=4480596&viewfull=1#post4480596

kj2

Flashaholic
Vinh, just seeing your newsletter updated payment instructions. Do you really have a new (paypal)email? Doesn't really look thrust worthy to me ;)

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am busy tomorrow and Monday for the engagement. Then I have to take my distant visiting relatives on a trip to Canada from Tuesday to Thursday. I wont be home until Thursday night. Friday next week is when I can have most of my life back. :)

Have a good trip, Vinh! Congratulations again!

Anyway, I had sent him a couple of UV/visible light animations though and he liked them enough to suggest I post them in this thread, since it might be of passing interest to some of you too. Even though Vinh did recommend this thread, I'm not sure if this is the right place really, so apologies if anyone feels it is seriously off-topic!

Great photographs, mmander! Amazing macro shots! :thumbsup:

Vinh, just seeing your newsletter updated payment instructions. Do you really have a new (paypal)email? Doesn't really look thrust worthy to me ;)

For what it is worth, Vinh was using that "new" email for a pretty long time previously. Don't worry. :D

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. Battery question. Ive been topping off my 18650's when they get to about 3.8v is this ok for the battery?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. Battery question. Ive been topping off my 18650's when they get to about 3.8v is this ok for the battery?

the short answer is yes this is ok... i do this myself actually

lithium batteries prefer a partial charge... anywhere outside of approx 40-80% stresses the cell more... but dont worry... you arent going for 1500+ cycles... just dont let them fall below 3.0v under load (3.3-3.4v resting) and dont overcharge them and theyll last 500+ cycles easy (for quality cells)

i have several NCRa panasonic that are on 700 cycles and 3 years old :) still work fine

Last edited:

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Than you guys!
I thought I had read somewhere that its better to top them off. So thanks for the confermation.
I am up to 8 of the NCR18650B's. Is it better to cycle through all of them rather than using the same set and topping off?

Than you guys!
I thought I had read somewhere that its better to top them off. So thanks for the confermation.
I am up to 8 of the NCR18650B's. Is it better to cycle through all of them rather than using the same set and topping off?

I personally write with a laundry marker on my cells

eg: the 4 NCRB's I use with my TK75vn kt are marked as such and have only been in that light since new. That way I know they are all identicle in every way.

mks195

Newly Enlightened
:thanks: for the battery charging/cycling info. Learning something new every day!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I canceled my order, The guy only carries the H8-2 (2batt), to big for my liking but if you modded one the 2 batt could be a good option. Currently he is waiting for the H8-1 (1 batt) they should arrive in 2 weeks. I think I will get one of those.

The H8-1 tear-down got me interested... Googled for MTE.
Well, oops:ohgeez:... They're based here in Singapore! And they have a dealer in town. I'll probably drop by and have a look at the flashlight when I can find the time.

bibihang

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Stress Relieve

Hi Vinh,

I have some difficulties on flashlight modding and hope you can help me out. :)

1) What method/equipment do you use to adjust your light into perfect focusing (i.e. maximum possible throw)? And how do you know when it has reached its perfect focusing?

2) And what part do you use to adjust the LED position? Let's say when you find that it's better to let the LED sit into the reflector 0.2mm more, do you add copper sheet under the LED pad base or something else to do that?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Vinh,

1) What method/equipment do you use to adjust your light into perfect focusing (i.e. maximum possible throw)? And how do you know when it has reached its perfect focusing?

2) And what part do you use to adjust the LED position? Let's say when you find that it's better to let the LED sit into the reflector 0.2mm more, do you add copper sheet under the LED pad base or something else to do that?

Thank you very much!

Geeze, you don't expect him to give away all of his secrets!! LOL Just kidding :naughty:

BarryG

Enlightened

Hi Vinh,

Thank you very much!

Here is his modding questions thread...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Modding-Repair-Helpline-Get-your-answers-here!-)

BTW, Vinh will be away for a few days with family

Barry

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to carry that question to a general forum out of respect and for unbiased opinions. A lot of good modders around.

Status
Not open for further replies.