Any comparison of HID bike lights to HID hand held lights?

MY

Enlightened
I have had a Cateye HID bike light for about 4 years and still am quite impressed. The new generation HID bike lights from Cateye, Niterider and Specialized are supposed to be even better (certainly in regards to run time). Does anyone know how these bike lights compare to the handheld HID lights discussed in these threads? x

Jonathan

Enlightened
As I recall, the Cateye HID lamp was based on the Welch-Allyn 20W HID lamp, and that the lamp may have been run at less than 20W because of heating problems.

It seems that a number of the hand held lamps being discussed here are based upon 35W automotive HIDs, and these are more efficient than the 20W as well as using nearly twice the power. By ratings you can expect nearly 3x the light of the Cateye. I wish that I had more direct experience to report.
smile.gif

-Jon

recercare

Enlightened
Cateye Stadium 3 beats UKE LC100 bigtime. The reason is obvious. LC has 10W and Cateye 17-24W depending on ballast. Cateye Stadium 3 is not as bright as 35W handheld HIDs, but I'd recommend Stadium for other reasons:

1. Cateye Stadium 3 has a very nice distribution of light, genuine flood, not "narrow" like Niterider's HID.
2. It is extremely dependable and solid. If you hit obstacles with the Nightrider HID mounted on handlebar you'll probably be left in the dark.
3. In my country you get Cateye Stadium 3 for 310$...which is inexpensive compared to other HIDs.