any LED based that has THROW?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
techwg said:
Im really talking like super small compact like Surefire 6p size or smaller. a 6p can throw, and i expect other led lights that are "brighter" than a 6p should throw better ?! i guess its all about the reflector from what im told
Well, one difference with LEDs is that the light is emitted from a square die that is significantly less concentrated than an incandescent filament -- which means it will take a larger overall reflector to collimate the beam as much as an incandescent. Also, LEDs inherenetly throw most of their light forward, rather than in all directions -- in the case of incandescent, this means that almost all the light that goes "back" into the light is captured by the reflector and collimated as throw. In order for LEDs to get this kind of throw, either an extremely deep reflector is needed (since the LED throws its light forward, the reflector must be deeper to "catch" it) -- or a lens must be used and placed very very close to the emitter itself to catpure this "forward" light. Cree is the best for use with lenses, as it proejcts most of its light into a narrow forward angle. Seoul is better for use with reflectors, as it throws light to the side.

The closest you'll get to 6P type size with good throw is going to be the D-Mini, which has a somewhat wider head, but is still short and pocketable. Any smaller than that size though, it will be hard for LEDs to compete with incan for throw, at least for the time being, for the reasons I mentioned, even if they output significantly more lumens.

Last edited:

Gordov2

Enlightened
techwg said:
Im really talking like super small compact like Surefire 6p size or smaller. a 6p can throw, and i expect other led lights that are "brighter" than a 6p should throw better ?! i guess its all about the reflector from what im told

Techwg, if you want a small LED light plus throw, you want the D-Mini without a doubt. It's about 4 inches long, operates on one cell, sized 123 and has decent runtimes (about an hour) with 110 lumens! It has an optional high/Low switch and comes with a glow in the dark clickie cover (if you choose to use it). It has a bunch of other options too, in addition to being a little cheaper than a SF 6P.

Whereas the SF 6P is 5.5 inches long, runs on two 123 cells, with about the same run time, but only 65 lumens and no clickie tail cap! To get more lumens, you have to go with the high output bulb, which shortens your runtime to 20 minutes or so.

Check out this link as they have everything D-Mini (and a lot of other great lights too, i.e. the MRV): http://batteryjunction.com/d-mini.html

Get the D-Mini. You'll love it!

Do a search here on CPF, you'll find a lot of info and beamshots.http://batteryjunction.com/d-mini.html

Litec

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I think 2xtrinity has explained very well. No wonder we see good incans with an almost parallel beam, without using lenses.
I thought wavelength also had something to do with longer throws......white leds have shorter wavelength, hence they might create more 'scatter' as compared to incans.......I may be wrong

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff devices modified Mag. About $100.00 and it will easily out-throw the standard mag light. No lights are currently available although he is working on a drop in for existing mags. Fully regulated, 6 hours of light (3D), no heat problems. Excellent product.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just look at a MagLED(relatively cheap too) and how well it throws. It's all about the design of the optics. I bet you if you grabbed a reflector from a Thor and used it it would throw madly. Look at the tower modules for THs you need to plant the LED deep in reflectors and have large reflectors. LEDs get a bad rap because we use them in small lights with small reflectors.

Mike abcd

Enlightened
It's not small but a Dorcy 3D modded with an SSC is a very impressive thrower IMHO. I'm running a GD buck/boost converter configured for 833 mA and measured 26500 lux @ 1 M. 135 Lumens and a 10+ hour run time on NiMH D cells or using 4 AA to D cell adapters. Probably about 5 hours on alkalines.

It worked out so well, I bought 2 more to mod.

Mike

Learjet

Enlightened
Mike abcd said:
It's not small but a Dorcy 3D modded with an SSC is a very impressive thrower IMHO. I'm running a GD buck/boost converter configured for 833 mA and measured 26500 lux @ 1 M.

Mike

Edit, might try the same mod. Found the parts at DX.

Last edited:

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
I modded a Harbor Freight 3 C cell flashlight with a SSC star and a 0.22 ohm resistor to limit the current to 1.2 amps on fresh C batteries. If I use 3 AA NiMH batteries it pulls 1 amp and runs quite bright for over 2 hours. The heat sinking is good and the light barely gets warm even if left on for hours. It has nice sidespill and throws a tight hotspot amazingly well.

95296.gif

Gordov2

Enlightened
techwg said:

TECHWG is asking about small, compact lights.... That's why I'm saying D-Mini.

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
How about the Pelican "recoil" type lights? They would seem to address the directionality inherent in the the LED. I have a couple and they are quite well focused.

Ken

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont get me wrong i love fenix and the throw is very good, best i have ever had on led before. im just gathering intel on others for curiosity and future purchasing. Im all spent up on lights for a long time. latest purchases were a couple of UV lights , P2D CE, and tomorow i got a P3D ce on its way post service dependant . . . i like the idea of Lumapower one but i would need to do more research on it. Right now i have been awake for almost 24 hours and am feeling like an ant with no legs that is feeling like robocop after he got disected and trashed going "Aghhhh Ahhhh Awhhhahhhh . . Ahhhh . . Hu Hgaaa Aghhhhh . .", so when i get my P3D tomorow i will let you guys see what i think about it when night fall comes if im awake to see nightfall...

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Survivor LED has an impressive throw. And they are rugged work lights.

Gordov2

Enlightened
Once again, I must amplify my suggestion for the LumaPower D-Mini. If you want:
1. Small (4 inches long)
2. Long throw with tight spot
3. LED
4. Runs on one AW 123 with 3.7 volts (rechargeable), or one standard 123
5. Run time is approximately 1 hour
6. Puts out 110 lumens!

The D-Mini is the light you want!

Again out of my 12 lights, several of which are Surefire (M3, C2, L5), and a couple Fenix (including the L2D-CE), the D-Mini is one of my most used and favorite lights! It goes everywhere in my pocket or holster.

If you want a finger grip similar to the Surefire Rogers grips, you can order a Leef grip from Light Hound and put it on the D-Mini perfectly and you have instant Rogers grip ability (I have done this and it works great). There are many package options with reflectors, switches, etc. at Battery Junction.

I should disclaim any affiliation with any of the companies above... I do not work for any of them. I just really believe in the D-Mini and what I've done to mine!

amik

Newly Enlightened
easilyled said:
The best thrower is Mac's Aspherical Mag - measured by one CPFer
at 57,000 lux at 1 meter.

I received my aspherical mag today and I've been playing with it this evening. Suffice it to say this light actually made me start lauging out loud when I turned it on tonight. The throw is ridiculous. It was brightly illuminating trees that were at least a couple hundred yards away.

I highly recommend the aspherical mag. This is a light that will have the neighbors wondering what the hell you are doing in your back yard.

jki

Newly Enlightened
I agree that nothing throws like a D-mini with smooth reflector for anywhere near its low price, small size, and superb quality. Simply amazing throw. Great value for the price. And for more money, the MRV promises to be another reference standard throw monster in its class.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultrafire C2 is about 5" long and loaded with (2) 123s'
throws past my D-Mini,... how far would you like to throw?

C2 is really an underrated light.

Last edited: