Any way to loosen a stiff tail cap?

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
Last week I got a New Fenix TK22 TAC. I really like almost everything about this light. Lately I have posted a number of questions and I sure appreciate all the helpful replies. If I didn't have so much soreness in my hand I would be happy to keep this light but the tail switch is stiff and takes a lot of pressure to fully depress. What I am trying to find out is if there's any way to make it respond to much less pressure? If this tail cap was as easy to operate for me as my other lights which are nitecore MH 25, Coast 2AA, nitecore P 20i,and Thrunite Archer I will simply keep it. Is there such a.thing as an aftermarket tail cap switch that responds to a.light touch?
If I can't make it loosened up then I will maybe try to trade for one of the other two lights that I was considering when I got this one instead (Fenix TK 22 UE), Nitecore MH25S)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to this page, the switch is a Fenix TS01 switch, bigger image here. Looks like an electronic switch, which the McClicky is not, unfortunately. There are some soft press McClickies that if breathed on may activate. You could acquire a TS01 and get lucky with it, or try exercise the switch you have, which might help loosen it a little.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Without knowing the diameter of the tailcap boot (switch cover) and how easy or not it is to remove and replace it, I can say some place a plastic disk about the size of the boot between the boot and switch button about as thick as a credit card that reduces travel required to engage the button and spreads out the force required to push on the button. That makes it so less effort is required when pushing the on/off button.

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
According to this page, the switch is a Fenix TS01 switch, bigger image here. Looks like an electronic switch, which the McClicky is not, unfortunately. There are some soft press McClickies that if breathed on may activate. You could acquire a TS01 and get lucky with it, or try exercise the switch you have, which might help loosen it a little.
Thank you

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I looked at an e-picture of the light in question and saw a protruding tailcap so I wonder if the button itself is a little stiffer to prevent accidental activation. As in, would a softer boot even help? And would a mcclicky boot even fit?

Using one of those plastic 'rewards' cards and a hole punch, perhaps the hammer driven kind could yield a space filling disk.
Placing the disk between the boot and button can reduce travel required to activate on/off and perhaps provide the relief necessary for easier activation.
It work great on aaa Streamlight products like the microstream and stylus pro where fingertip required activation is changed to a broad area of a finger to push the button on.

MTHall

Newly Enlightened
I hope that works but am glad for.a backup plan in case it doesn't 😊