Anyone buy the Armytek Tiara A1 or C1 yet?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to keep in mind about this light is that it has to be 'set' to run 14500s. It seems like it will run 14500s just fine without setting it to do so. But it appears that you have to set it to run 14500s in order to get the onboard overdischarge protection to work. Otherwise, it will overdischarge unprotected cells and draw protected cells down to the point that the protection kicks in (which is really not an optimal depth of discharge for a Li-Ion battery).

I like the option to not use an integrated overdischarge protection in a light. I understand the purpose especially with unprotected cells, but I'd prefer just a warning (like a set of blinks every minute) because in an emergency I would rather be able to choke every joule of energy out of a cell even if the cells lifetime is reduced as a result. Damaging a $10 14500 li-ion is not a big deal if it gets you out of a dicey situation. Just preference.

I also question if occasional "bottoming out" of the li-ion down to the protection circuit is a significant problem. Take for example subwoofer's moonlight test he did with the Predator, he completely drained the cells at an extremely low current. This guarantees the most possible energy is extracted from the cell when the protection finally triggers. In his test his cells seemed to suffer no loss in capacity.

This is a worse case than under high load because if a protection circuit is triggered during high output operation it was likely due, at least in part, to voltage sag and the cell will rebound quickly to a higher resting voltage.

Last edited:

soul347

Newly Enlightened
Just a heads up that the Tiara a1 and c1 version 2 just came out today. Check it out on the armytek website

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
One noticeable difference is no voltage indicator in v2. Not for me. Actually one of the only reasons I like the pro over the non pro is the voltage indicator. When I first got my non-pro Tiara A1 and C1 I was kinda pissed there was no voltage indicator at all.

chazz

Enlightened
I just ordered the updated Armytek Tiara A1 v.2

Wondering if these will fit the longer 840 mAH 14500 cells ??

(did some searching but did not see the info anywhere)
If it does I will order a couple while I am waiting for the sloooooow shipping... :)

Last edited:

soul347

Newly Enlightened
For those using the Tiara C1, I'm wondering what batteries you guys normally use? Do they work well with rechargeables? I really dislike the idea of buying a bunch of disposable batteries to use with them.

soul347

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply guys. For the rechargeables, do they have just as good outputs and runtimes?

Also I'm wondering what are your opinions on the version 2 of the Tiara c1? Should I opt for the second version, or purchase v1.5?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the updated Armytek Tiara A1 v.2

Wondering if these will fit the longer 840 mAH 14500 cells ??

(did some searching but did not see the info anywhere)
If it does I will order a couple while I am waiting for the sloooooow shipping... :)

My keeppower 14500 840 mAh fits just fine in my A1 Pro Warm.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a dilemma about v1 versus v2 of the Tiara. I like the addition of a lower firefly mode in v2 but the omission of the voltage indicator in the Pro models make it inferior to the v1 version. Ideally, they should have added the lower firefly mode and kept the voltage indicator. Also not sure why they made non-pro models with an ugly plastic YELLOW on/off switch. It just screams CHEAP!

Thanks for the reply guys. For the rechargeables, do they have just as good outputs and runtimes?

Also I'm wondering what are your opinions on the version 2 of the Tiara c1? Should I opt for the second version, or purchase v1.5?

MandM

Newly Enlightened
From what I've read... the voltage indicator is still there. (I can verify in a few days... waiting for mine to arrive.)

According to the website and the manual for the Tiara V.2, there's a "Multi-color LED Indication" and a "Low Battery Indication"

http://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/headlamps/armytek-tiara-pro-c1.html

(But I'm 100% in agreement about the yellow switches... ug.)

It is a dilemma about v1 versus v2 of the Tiara. I like the addition of a lower firefly mode in v2 but the omission of the voltage indicator in the Pro models make it inferior to the v1 version. Ideally, they should have added the lower firefly mode and kept the voltage indicator. Also not sure why they made non-pro models with an ugly plastic YELLOW on/off switch. It just screams CHEAP!

soul347

Newly Enlightened
From what I've read... the voltage indicator is still there. (I can verify in a few days... waiting for mine to arrive.)

According to the website and the manual for the Tiara V.2, there's a "Multi-color LED Indication" and a "Low Battery Indication"

http://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/headlamps/armytek-tiara-pro-c1.html

(But I'm 100% in agreement about the yellow switches... ug.)

It appears they omitted the ability to indicate the precise voltage of the battery via the main LED. The only way of knowing what the battery state is is through the switch button that blinks different colors. It is apparent that they removed this ability because it is no where to be found in the new manual, but it is in the old manuals.

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
Ordered a c1 pro v1.5.
Voltage indicator works great.
Tint is great ( I ordered warm)
Battery runtime is very poor though. Light turns off when battery reaches about 2.8-3v
Anodizing is not as good as I expected either. The very first time I took the clip off, it pulled the anodizing off with it, it now has shinny marks where the clip was.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

soul347

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a c1 pro v1.5.
Voltage indicator works great.
Tint is great ( I ordered warm)
Battery runtime is very poor though. Light turns off when battery reaches about 2.8-3v
Anodizing is not as good as I expected either. The very first time I took the clip off, it pulled the anodizing off with it, it now has shinny marks where the clip was.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Does your v1.5 have a switch that blinks green? I ordered a tiara but not sure what version I have. It didn't come with a manual either

Latest posts