Anyone Found Realistic LED Candles?

txmatt

Enlightened
We've had probably 8-10 different LED candles of different sizes and configurations and all of them are pretty poor. They all have LED's/covers that are much more orange than the pale-yellow of a real candle flame. They also put out less than half as much light as a candle flame which can dimly light a small bathroom.

I know it likely all comes down to cost, but there are some pretty bright 5mm LED's that could seemingly be phosphored/filtered, or "high-power" technology like Lux I's are ancient history by now and should have gotten much cheaper to buy. It seems that even if they cost a bit more, there would be a market for an LED candle whose light actually looks like a real candle (just flickering doesn't count).

So has anyone come across LED candles that flicker and have the brightness and color temperature of a real candle?

Matt

TPA

Enlightened
Realistic flickering, yes. Realistic colour temperature with LEDs, no. My favourite electric candles are still Enjoy Lighting/Enchanted Lighting's 12vDC incandescent candles. They use 3 mini incandescent bulbs mounted at different heights on a circuit board that slides into a socket inside the candle. Colour temperature is nearly spot-on, flickering looks very real.

Video of them here: http://www.enjoylighting.com/video.htm

UNFORTUNATELY, they appear to have stopped production of these in favour of battery-operated LED versions utilizing amber LEDs. While I appreciate that the LEDs won't burn out, I miss them being electrically operated and I miss being able to use them as actual lighting. I've only tried their "Basic" candles which are made of plastic instead of wax. They claim they have some form of colour filter on their Deluxe/Decorative candles which use real wax, which I've not tried yet.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Realistic flickering, yes. Realistic colour temperature with LEDs, no. My favourite electric candles are still Enjoy Lighting/Enchanted Lighting's 12vDC incandescent candles. They use 3 mini incandescent bulbs mounted at different heights on a circuit board that slides into a socket inside the candle. Colour temperature is nearly spot-on, flickering looks very real.

Video of them here: http://www.enjoylighting.com/video.htm

UNFORTUNATELY, they appear to have stopped production of these in favour of battery-operated LED versions utilizing amber LEDs. While I appreciate that the LEDs won't burn out, I miss them being electrically operated and I miss being able to use them as actual lighting.

You wouldn't be referring to this fine candle here, would you?

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2421942

:grin2:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried a bunch of cheapie LED candles, none were terribly
realistic but the one with best flicker effect ironically had a white
LED...therefore not a real candle colour.

I found realistic effect with a 3-LED pumpkin flasher, although
it is not a candle form-factor. This one runs on 3 AAA's and has
a power jack. Placed overtop a small orange hollow wax pumpkin
which although a bit dim, it gave good effect.

Dave