Anyone have info/opinions on metonboss lights?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey intake, love your image identity and the fact that you financially support CPF.

Thinking many if not most here would want to know what kind of user interface that $1000 flashlight is using. A lot of us would care what kind of emitter it has; what color temperature and even bin.

The fact that none of that information seems available on the website indicates Meton Boss customers are more interested in looks, in man jewelry, or pride of ownership than performance.

If that's where you're at, go for it. Otherwise Meton Boss has got some 'splaining to do

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious indeed to be selling a flashlight without making any mention of the aspects that actually make light.

A quick google search didn't turn up much, but I saw one for sale on reddit that claimed nichia 219C 4000K 90+ cri, carclo triple optic, H17Fx driver, and 18350 battery. That's a pretty classic combo for a lot of these small machine shops making custom lights.

Fancy metals like zirconium don't really hold any appeal for me, but even if they did I'd for sure want to find exactly what would be inside the light first.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
Hey intake, love your image identity and the fact that you financially support CPF.

Thinking many if not most here would want to know what kind of user interface that $1000 flashlight is using. A lot of us would care what kind of emitter it has; what color temperature and even bin.

The fact that none of that information seems available on the website indicates Meton Boss customers are more interested in looks, in man jewelry, or pride of ownership than performance.

If that's where you're at, go for it. Otherwise Meton Boss has got some 'splaining to do
Hi Kitrobaskin! Embarrassingly the zirconium body being readily available is the only thing that intrigues me about the light - which should disqualify it at that cost. That said, I've got a (perhaps fradulent) hope that since it's the most durable light body currently being manufactured - more so even than titanium - at the very least it could be a good host if I have to pill swap. But yeah, you're one million percent right. Even if it IS compatible with other pills, I shouldn't be spending $1K to throw away the actual light engine and buy a custom pill that might cost hundreds more afterward. I was trolling their facebook group, and occasionally those go to auction and usually sell for around $500. Maybe I'll just lurk around and wait for one of those...it would give me time to save up haha.
200.gif

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
Curious indeed to be selling a flashlight without making any mention of the aspects that actually make light.

A quick google search didn't turn up much, but I saw one for sale on reddit that claimed nichia 219C 4000K 90+ cri, carclo triple optic, H17Fx driver, and 18350 battery. That's a pretty classic combo for a lot of these small machine shops making custom lights.

Fancy metals like zirconium don't really hold any appeal for me, but even if they did I'd for sure want to find exactly what would be inside the light first.
Nice find! I reached out to the maker over the weekend and he replied with exactly those specs. Definitely not a $1k light for me with that setup.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from exotic materials it has nothing that a 30 dollar light does not have imo.

LRJ88

Enlightened
In my humble opinion their site and products make me want to steer clear of them as if they were the first case of airborn herpes. I tried to look for different stuff on there and it isn't clear if you buy the whole flashlight, just a pocket clip, the ring, or some special stuff.

This expensive piece of something.

Their site makes Peak's site look amazingly clear, and while i do love Peak we all know they put their all into their flashlights first and foremost, lovely things that they are. The descriptions and entire postings on this are just hard to understand and navigate.

Meton Boss is pretty well known for their knife scales, at least on Reddit. I've owned one of their spinning tops and the quality is excellent. However, I agree that most of their products are for bragging rights and Instagram "pocket dump" posts.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well it is made in the US.
True. So you expect prices to be higher. But, when the asking-price would get you a good piece of quality night-vision gear (not that digital stuff); yeah that's still too much for a small, Art deco style flashlight.