Anyone Still Using The R.O.P., (Roar Of The Pelican), Set-Up For The Maglite?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IMR 14500's arrived today. Popped them in the charger and charged them up. Put them in the 3AA to D parallel adapters and put them in the Mag. WOW! 😃 Now this is more like it! At least twice as bright as the Eneloops in the series adapters and pure white. No yellow at all. This thing now is a great light and also throws much further. As FM warned, I just hope these inexpensive adapters hold up.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I dabbled with a couple of basic hotwires back in the day, but I always felt that the basic ROP was the best of the breed.
A bit of disapointment that the 2xAA Mini-maglite never got the ROP treatment after IMR14500 cells were released - would have been a perfect pairing. :-/

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dabbled with a couple of basic hotwires back in the day, but I always felt that the basic ROP was the best of the breed...

I tend to agree. It was the best and simplest Mag conversion that really made the Mag a powerhouse.

It's funny because when I joined CPF over 16 years ago, it was basically a couple hundred of us discussing how to make our Maglites better. Even though there was mostly red LED technology around since the 1960's, (I purchased a Tekna keychain light with a red LED in 1980), white LED lights were still in the future.

Like computers, how far LED technology has come in 16 years!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IMR 14500's arrived today. Popped them in the charger and charged them up. Put them in the 3AA to D parallel adapters and put them in the Mag. WOW!  Now this is more like it! At least twice as bright as the Eneloops in the series adapters and pure white. No yellow at all.
This is because parallel adapters have more solid connections compare to series therefore less resistant.
Enjoy it.
:thumbsup:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use 3 IMR 14500 in each adapter.

Thanks so much for this tip FM! It's working out great. You really know your stuff!

By the way, FM, do you know if there is a substitute bulb you can use in place of the 3854H, (ROP HI), or 3854L, (ROP LOW), bulbs? Thanks.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is still my go-to under-bead bump-in-the-night light, since the batteries are always full and it's lighter than anything else in its class.

Thanks, Fivemega, for making the hardware work. :D

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, FM, do you know if there is a substitute bulb you can use in place of the 3854H, (ROP HI), or 3854L, (ROP LOW), bulbs? Thanks.

Unfortunately, not many option for PR based bulbs but closest match to ROP LO is WA1274 with good bulb life and closest match to ROP HO is 5761 which may run extremely hard close to instaflash.
Bi pin sockets are available at this time.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, not many option for PR based bulbs but closest match to ROP LO is WA1274 with good bulb life and closest match to ROP HO is 5761 which may run extremely hard close to instaflash.
Bi pin sockets are available at this time.

Thanks for that FM. Do still have the bi pin sockets for sale?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks FM for all you're input here. You will always be the Ican king and I probably bought this glass lens and reflector from you all those years ago. It's amazing to think I've been on CPF for over 16 years!

I'm probably boring everybody with this ROP thread but I'm really thrilled resurrecting this again. I'm telling you, it has been a pleasure to have a couple of parts left where I could make this light.

I have many up to date modern LED lights but I have to tell you, this still is a great light and now, one of my favorites after all these years! It's just too bad that these ROP bulbs aren't available anymore.

I remembered after the ROP rage started, an obscure member here tried selling high quality ROP highly reflective stickers. I bought 2 low and 2 high stickers and he couldn't sell them so he quit. I attached one to my light. Fond memories!

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
My R.O.P. "C" size mag with 2 18650 and a 3854H is still my favorite "go to" light when I am looking for my dog late at night when he runs off in the woods chasing raccoons or who knows what. His dark brown color shows up so much better with an incandescent than an LED. The light also just seems to fit my hand.

Illum

Flashaholic
Still have mine. FM MOP, FM 6AA to 2D holder, High lamp in socket, Low lamp in TC. Borofloat window... nearly mint black 2D. Modern day standards this is rather dim... but still fun. I run the MN10 for fun nowadays... in a Solarforce 2x18650 body, LF C2M adapter, Surefire M3 head. Its bright... but no longer hold its own against the LED.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
...His dark brown color shows up so much better with an incandescent than an LED. The light also just seems to fit my hand.

I totally agree. I have a small thermometer outside and when I shine one of my powerful newer LED lights on it at night to read the temperature, I can barely read it. When I shine the ROP on it, I can easily read it. The color rendition using this is amazing.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We're not bored Gene. Not at all.

Good topic here in the same-ole-same-old world of lumen wars flashion lights.
ROP was the Dale Earhardt of flashlights. I'm intimidated every time I hit the on switch.
(Star Trek Scotty voice) "Captain, she's gonna blow!"...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny bykfixer and thanks! Sometimes old is new.

We're not bored Gene. Not at all.

Good topic here in the same-ole-same-old world of lumen wars flashion lights.
ROP was the Dale Earhardt of flashlights. I'm intimidated every time I hit the on switch.
(Star Trek Scotty voice) "Captain, she's gonna blow!"...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I recently found my ROP set up 2 cell mag with spacer for two 18650's. Has all of the resistance mods, LOP reflector, and pyrex window. Now I have to find some of my ROP bulbs.

Bill

swampgator

Enlightened
I wish I'd bought a lot bulbs before they went away...
My 2C running on 18650s is one of my go-to lights.

Oddly enough, a local Radio Shack is liquidating. Picked up a couple 19ah D sized Lithiums for next to nothing.
Plan to use these in a 2D ROP Low.

Illum

Flashaholic
I wish I'd bought a lot bulbs before they went away...
My 2C running on 18650s is one of my go-to lights.

Oddly enough, a local Radio Shack is liquidating. Picked up a couple 19ah D sized Lithiums for next to nothing.

those... are probably lithium thionyl chloride cells made by SAFT... memory protection batteries. If you look up the MSDS you'll probably see that the capacity rating is designed for a tiny current load. I don't recommend using them for any high drain applications if that is the case... you'll also notice they get really hot in output currents above 500mA
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?165449-Lithium-D-s-anyone-use
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?266635-Lithium-D-size-batteries
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...5-Expected-runtime-on-SAFT-LS-17500-primaries
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?250219-battery-explosion-it-was-too-close

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a couple 19ah D sized Lithiums for next to nothing.
As mentioned above, those are not lithium-ion and not suitable for high current application ROP which requires 4~4.4 Amps.
If you are looking for high capacity small 2D size ROP, pair of
these will provide over an hour of ROP 3854 HO
If you need longer run time, 2P,2S 18650 in 2.5D will run for close to 100 minutes.
If you need even longer run time, then 4P,2S 18650 Elephant II is your choice.