Anyone tried the new Fenix LD41 960 lm ?

Treeguy

Enlightened
Any way it is still the only 4AA semi tactical flashlight i know of, all the other 4AAs are compact and a little bulky not so steady with hand grip, and has no momentary tail switch like the one on LD41. Thats why i prefer it on all the others 4 AA flashlights.

I'm looking for a "tactical" AA light, something to keep by the bed. The other 4xAA lights all look a bit clumsy and fragile. I have zero experience with Fenix lights. What's the toughness factor of the LD41?

I don't care about cost, I want build quality and a momentary turbo.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, did I ask an un-ask-able?

Not trying to start anything, really and for true. :shakehead
I don't think so, i was genuinely looking forward to honest replies of said durability.
I'm Fenix fan of sorts and believe they make a great light and to add these have my interest to get one day in early winter.

All good IMO +1

davesc

Newly Enlightened
WarRaven...I really do like the LD41. I have dropped mine several times and no problems. Not on concrete, though. I am very satisfied with this model of light. I prefer the shape over the fatter squat types. Fenix quality is superb.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Davesc, I'm thinking this will be my cold weather light.

I was going to score the 540 model then the 640 showed up and I forgot to look into them again. Now with 960, pretty hard to stay mad at that output.
So for my comment with Treeguy, I thought this would be listed with testimonies, but it's early I guess, keep them coming guys.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I have the 960 lm model and I find the tail standing very stable as long as the light is turned on. The button gives a little when it is in the on position, which I think is why it is pretty stable tail standing. It does wobble slightly in the off position, but I can't imagine anyone is going to care how it tail stands when the light is switched off. I like the idea of a 4AA light to get the higher output and good throw, and I really like the ergonomics better than the short barrel type lights, but I am not a huge fan of the two button approach.

bright star

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix LD 41 680 lumen flashlight . have to say I would not trade it for anything. It's been a strong and reliable go to type of IIght .:)

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a "tactical" AA light, something to keep by the bed. The other 4xAA lights all look a bit clumsy and fragile. I have zero experience with Fenix lights. What's the toughness factor of the LD41?

Oops, did I ask an un-ask-able?

Not trying to start anything, really and for true. :shakehead

To me there is no tactical AA flashligh, 18650 and CR123 lights out powers it in brightness, and are also smaller and lighter and more practical.

TACTICAL tirm is the bunch of features in the flashlight which are reference to the job one is practicing, tactical for someone might not be enough for others, for example Police men have different needs than Military special forces.

I said LD41 is the only SEMI tactical 4AA flashlight i know of, by that i mean it has some tactical features like momentary tail swich, and good hand grip ( i don't know any other 4AA flashlight that has that ), but that does not make it a tactical light, you can find more tactical flashlights among the 18650 and CR123 flashlights.

And to say the other 4AA lights are FRAGILE !!, i would be surprised if you can find a fragile flashlight among any of the respectable brands.

About the toughness of LD41 is very good as every one else have said, but for indoor use (by the bed) i find it a little big and heavy for that, smaller 2AA which are also bright and tough and has momentary turbo and available in almost every brand might be better for you, but again if you like the size and wight of LD41 -like i do- then why not it is a very good light, the only thing about it that bothers me is that it lacks a deep reflector for more throw.

BowHunter1

Newly Enlightened
I've had my LD41 now for about 5 years I guess. It's been rock solid and stays in my truck 24-7. I even sent it to vihn for a little extra work along with my TK41 ;) I almost upgraded to the 980 but after reading this thread I'm glad I held off

uglydog

Newly Enlightened
Got this 2015 960 version a couple months ago and it's performance has been as expected except for one potential issue. On strobe mode it alternates between the strobe effect and a much slower flashing with the period for each effect lasting 1-1.5 seconds. This occurs with brand new well known (brand name) alkalines as well as 1900mah fully charged Eneloops. Is this normal or should the strobe be constant ? Thanks !

Ug

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got this 2015 960 version a couple months ago and it's performance has been as expected except for one potential issue. On strobe mode it alternates between the strobe effect and a much slower flashing with the period for each effect lasting 1-1.5 seconds. This occurs with brand new well known (brand name) alkalines as well as 1900mah fully charged Eneloops. Is this normal or should the strobe be constant ? Thanks !

Ug

I believe it is normal and what is called a "variable strobe" in order to maximize the disorientation of your target, since it keeps changing frequencies.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my LD41 now for about 5 years I guess. It's been rock solid and stays in my truck 24-7. I even sent it to vihn for a little extra work along with my TK41 ;) I almost upgraded to the 980 but after reading this thread I'm glad I held off

Awesome! What did Vihn do for you?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope this isn't too late! I've dropped my 680-lumen LD41 multiple times, including onto concrete; other than scratched anodizing you'd never know. It's worth mentioning that I did have to clean the threads when I very first got it to take care of some grittiness, which I don't believe affected its performance (I just didn't like the feel/sound).

I would add that its turbo is not momentary, per se; it's a setting and it will run for 35 minutes before a timed step-down. I point this out because Fenix does have lights with "momentary" or "burst" settings that only stay active for as long as you hold a button.

I hope this helps!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update...I got the 960 LD41 and compared it to my older 680 LD41 last night. There are some minor changes on the newer model. Very minor in my view.
[rest of update]

This is great, davesc; thank you for sharing!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eagletac has one with momentary, a 3aa, but it's right up there among the 4 cells in the performance categories I'm interested in maximizing.

LlF

Newly Enlightened
omgoodness, I randomly found it in an outdoor store, I just love its physical shape. I have long seen this model but have always shut it down immediately because of its odd shape. turns out it feels awesome in my hand. And the build quality is excellent.
Im not yet used to its two buttons interface. I do wish it has side button thought.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Still thinking of getting one, but if I do it will be the older model. The spacing and runtimes on the new model just don't ring my bell.

Amazon Canada has the old model for the same price as you can get the new model elsewhere.