Anything better than these? Inexpensive LED for car/house

morjam401

Newly Enlightened
I'm about to order an energizer high intensity 185 lumen ($24) and a maglite xl50 ($30). These are for the car and house. I wanted something stronger/bigger than an edc. I want to use aa or aaa and $35 would be my max. My question before I buy these is if there is anything better in quality or power I should look at before. Thanks.

1DaveN

Enlightened
If you go to the Fenix Store web site and search "E25," you'll find the recently discontinued model for under $35 (2xAA). It's 130 lumens on high and 260 on "burst." In my opinion, with a pair of Energizer Ultimates it would be a perfect light for general use around the house and in the car.

morjam401

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I think I will stay away from those. I see there are better options. I'm going to look at nitecore, thrunite, and fenix to the different models they have.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Buy 4 Coast HP 1's at Amazon ($10ea) and a 4 pack of aa lithiums at a drug store.
(4 gets non prime members past the $35 free shipping option)

Simple on/off, focus head, does the tail stand thing and has a removable pocket clip.

220 lumens and the battery lasts several hours.

And if you lose one you're out like...oh, $11

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a car light, I would recommend the $15 Rayovac Indestructible 2AA from home depot.....get some energizer L91 ultimate lithiums and you should be good to go for as long as you own your car (15+ years shelf life for the L91s with no worries of leaks).

For a house light, I would suggest a 3D Maglite ML300 or a 3C ML50....if you want to run the ML300 on AA's you can get AA to D adapters. For the C cell ML50 you can make your own adapter out of a piece of PVC pipe or even a loose roll of cardboard. I would run these with AA Eneloops. Due to their electronic switches I would lock them out by loosening the tail cap ¼ turn if storing them for extended periods.

I would not recommend the 3AAA XL50 for a car light because it has a electronic switch that is not able to be locked out by loosening the tail cap – the cells will go dead from the parasitic drain of the switch after being stored for many months.