AR-15 Dedicated Weaponlight

jdgilbert

Newly Enlightened
I have tried a few different solutions for mounting a weaponlight on AR-15's, but so far I have not been thrilled with any of them. Budget is part of the problem as indicated below, I know I can go with a high-end purpose-built light but I would prefer to stay within my budget right now. I have run a Streamight TLR-1S mounted on the top rail and a couple different .84"/1" lights in ring mounts. The Streamlight was decent but controls and brightness/throw were not to my liking for use on a carbine/rifle. In addition I prefer to keep it on my pistol so I'm looking to get something more ideal for my preferences if possible.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $200

3) Format:
I want a mounted light, specifically, mounting on an AR-15 with mid-length Magpul MOE Handguards. I may change out for a configurable free-float later, but will have more flexibility for mounting in that case.

4) Size:
I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:
I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:
I'm a tinker so willing to do assembly myself, but not opposed to an out of the box solution.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).

I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
_X___Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
__X__IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras
N/A

dss_777

Enlightened
P2X Fury- preferably the EAG model since it uses a clicky tailcap, in the mount of your choice...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a cheaper solution, SolarForce L2P with any type of P60 drop-in you're fond of. You can get a tape switch for them as well. They're a 1" body light and can run on a single 18650, or a couple of CR123A primaries.

Might not be SF quality, but $40 for the light/P60 shipped, $20 for a tape switch and you're not into things for all that much. Worst case, you buy a cheap P60 and it blows on you, so you buy a better one.

Chris

m4a1usr

Enlightened
While I don't want to disagree with fellow members I would say go for some old style lights that still have lots of life left in them.

Just get a Surefire M951/952 or a M961/962 and be ready for anything. Ebay is loaded with them and many for less than $100. Will have a pressure switch and a tailcap switch. The ST07 and XM07 are switch standards that few other manufacturers can even compete with. And a Surefire Weapon light is water proof to 33 feet. No IPX8 BS. That's not what a weapon light needs. A weapon light needs to meet a Mil. Std. not some sorta water resistance measure. That's for toys. Don't put a toy on your weapon.

As far as a light engine goes, you can find an XML or XPG LED drop in for $30 or less. A XPG will have a great spot light type beam. An XML will have a great close range beam. If your not planning on having a 1911 rail system in place of hand guards just look for single rail that bolts thru the cooling holes.

Last edited: