Are small Li-Ions safer than the big ones?

HighLumens

Enlightened
For example, are 10440 safer than 18650? If they explode, is the flame smaller if generated by smaller batteries? And in general how far do I have to keep them from flammable stuff while charging?

Thank you :).

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Well, the lower the energy density, the "safer" they are in the sense that a small bomb is "safer" than a large bomb. The same precautions should apply, however. I charge my Li-Ion batteries on a couple of old ceramic tiles in a stainless steel tray. I also keep a small bucket of sand ready in case something unexpected happens. I make sure there is nothing flammable above the tray (within 6 feet or so) and I monitor the cells while they are charging.

beerwax

Enlightened
its a fair question. there might be a different propensity to explode versus just venting too. different surface area to volume ratio , vent to volume ratio, and maybe theres a critical mass issue. but even a tiny lithium can pack a powerful bang if you treat it just right.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Umm, having good quality battery's and charger then following proper charging/discharging methods should take all the worry out of that,right? but then we don't live in a perfect world so OK precautions should be taken.

For example, are 10440 safer than 18650? If they explode, is the flame smaller if generated by smaller batteries? And in general how far do I have to keep them from flammable stuff while charging?

Thank you :).

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
All other things being equal, smaller cells have less energy. However, cells smaller than 14500 are unprotected LiCo only. Either energy density will be to little or to much space will be taken up by the PCB. Either way, mah doesn't make it worth it.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are less likely to get an OEM cell in smaller sizes, while 18650, 14500, and sometimes 17670 are OEM sourced.