Armytek Partner xp-g round-up REVIEW- A1-A2-C1

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
"Submitted for consideration for the review forum "

Partner A1, A2 and C1 were supplied by Armytek for review:

Here's a new Armytek series of flashlights, the Partner series available in both xp-g and xm-l led. There is also the Partner mini series, caraterized by a twisty tailcap. I received the xp-g Partner series with clicky tailcap. This series includes the Partner A1, the Partner A2 and the Partner C1 which work respectively with one AA battery, with two AA batteries and with one CR123A battery.
I received pre-production samples so the package will be different. However i found all the extras, an holster, a lanyard, spare o-rings and button.

-Led Cree xp-g R5 5500k
-TIR optics
-Hotspot/spill: 20°/70°
-Stabilization type: SEMI
-Made of aircraft-grade aluminium with premium type III hard anodizing 400HV
-Advanced electronic reverse polarity protection
-IPX-8

Partner A1
-lenght: 97mm
-diameter: 24mm
-weight: 57g without battery
-$41.95

Partner A2
-lenght:148mm
-weight: 85g without batteries
-$42.95

Partner C1
-lenght: 80mm
-weight: 44g without battery
-$40.95

CONSTRUCTION

Armytek Partner are made of aluminium and there is the same Predator finish, a black, matt and almost rubberized finish. Without tools i can only remove the tailcap so every Partner is composed of two parts. I suspect that head and body are distincts parts glued together.
The head houses a xp-g R5 led and a TIR optics which focuses the beam. A glass lens anti-reflection coating protects the led.
Anti rolling design isn't very effective, you must pose carefully the flashlight or it can roll away.
The body fins increase grip a lot. There are anodized trapezoidal threads so you can lock the flashlights by unscrewing tailcap a little.
Tailcap has an hole for lanyard and includes a reverse clicky switch. It's small and very comfortable to use. Partner A1, A2 and C1 have different lenghts while head and tailcap are apparently identical.
Lettering on head is clear and sharp.

USER INTERFACE

The UI includes only two levels

Low 80 lumens (all models)

High 280 lumens (C1 and A2)- 230 lumens (A1)

All Partner turn on to low level. From on, you can press slightly the button to switch to high level. With another slight pressure you can return to low level.
Simple and comfortable UI. There isn't a true low level which i consider important especially in edc flashlights..

OUTPUT

Brightness
Partner flashlights are truly bright and each has its own peculiarity. The A1 with one AA nimh easily exceeds 200 lumens and keeps them for 15 consecutive minutes. The A2 breaks through the wall of 250 lumens and keeps them for 124 minutes with an excellent regulation. The C1 is small and powerful, equals the A2 brightness in a reduced format.
Tint
All Partner have a great cool white tint without blue or green hints.
Beam
TIR optics make a good job here, spot is large and intense. Spill is very low and not very usefull.

MEASUREMENTS

I estimate runtime and output by ceiling bounce test. I try to be accurate to have the same conditions for every test.
Used batteries: AA gp recyko 2100mah, Surefire CR123A.

Partner A1

Estimated lumens after 3 minutes
212 lumens

Lux at 1m after about 30s
2940cd

This kind of power requires energy. A1 brightnes goes below 50% after 35m and below 10% after 41m so it meets the specs.
Partner A1 becomes very hot after 41minutes but i don't use any cooling system.
The graphs shows how works the SEMI stabilization, typical of several Armytek product. This kind of stabilization extends runtime by slowly reducing brigtness.

Partner A2

254 lumens

3720cd

Almost flat regulation, the brightness decrease is negligible for 84 minutes. Brightness goes below 10% after 87 minutes.

Partner C1

257 lumens

3750cd

Initially, the brightness decreases according to the SEMI stabilization but after 36 minutes there is a sudden drop from 235 lumens to 63 lumens(estimated), and therefore brightness iswell above the 10% of the maximum. It seemed strange that the primary had already given everything. In fact, brightness began to grow for more than half an hour to 71 minutes where it touched almost 80 lumens and then it started to decline. After 77 minutes the brightness has dropped below 10%.

BEAMSHOTS

First Set 32 from garage (18mm f/3.5 0,8s ISO 400)

control

Partner A1 gp recyko 2100mah AA

Partner C1 Cr123A

Partner A2 gp recyko 2100mah AA

Note: i taken following beamshots from other reviews of mine in different conditions. Reflex parameters are the same but Partner beamshots result darker. I post them to compare beam pattern, not to compare brightness.

Firts Set 32 from garage (18mm f/3.5 0,6s ISO 400)
I lowered to 0,6s in order to compre to other Armytek beamshots (they are coming)

Control

Partner A1

Partner C1

Partner A2

Second Set 48 from garage (18mm f/3.5 0,6s ISO 400)

Control

Partner A1

Partner C1

Partner A2

CONCLUSION and impressions

PROS
-Finish and design
The build quality and finish are excellent, i can say above average. Very good grip thanks to the fins and the particular anodizing. I like a lot the clean design.
-Beam
I appreciate throw. Xp-g led with TIR optics has a large (20°) intense hotspot. Partner flashlights are comfortable to use outdoor and they allow to see farther than usual (with xm-l edc for example). Hotspot become large already at short distances so the poor spill is not a problem.
-Simple and pleasant
The UI is simple and suitable for all; Switch button isn't too hard or too soft, it's just perfect so you can quickly change level.

CONS

-Low level

There isn't a true low level which i consider very important on edc flashlights. Partner flashlights are not good at home during night because of 80 lumens "low level". 80 lumens are too much for many situations.
-Tailstanding
Partner flashlights aren't able to tailstand because of prominent switch button.
-Clip
There isn't a clip and it seems difficult to mount one. I don't like clips so this is not a true problem for me.

Last edited:

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, an awesome review. Been very fascinated by this light ever since I knew about it. Thanks for the review. It's nice that there are some good minimalistic lights out there. The "low" isn't very low, but I can live with it. Will have to try out the A2.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
¿Really a lenght of only 53/68,5 mm for Partner C1/A1 ? Armytek announces a lenght of 44,5 mm to the Partner C1 Mini, will that be possible? (Thanks for review and pictures)

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was really hopeful of these and wanted to get the A1 model. but the 80 lumen low mode is way too bright. and 200+ lumens on a single AA is too demanding. the modes are more like high and really high. more efficient drive currents would of been nicer, especially for the single AA model.

great review, very detailed, with lots of detailed pics!
thanks!

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys :D

kj2 said:
Thanks for the review :) but why not post it directly on the review-section? :shrug:
I'm not able to post in that section so i post reviews here.

Noctiluco said:
¿Really a lenght of only 53/68,5 mm for Partner C1/A1 ? Armytek announces a lenght of 44,5 mm to the Partner C1 Mini, will that be possible? (Thanks for review and pictures)
I think yes. Partner Mini lights have twisty tailcap which is shorter than clicky tailcap.

sp5it said:
Why not xp-g2?
Mike

Good point. Maybe TIR optics was designed for xp-g but i will ask to Armytek about this decision.

hei_q

Newly Enlightened
why is only tested with xp-g led and no xm-l?

i thought the XM-L U2 is much more efficient than XP-G R5?

Please explain.

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
why is only tested with xp-g led and no xm-l?

i thought the XM-L U2 is much more efficient than XP-G R5?

Please explain.

I received xp-g version so i reviewed them. No particular reason.
I suppose xm-l version are more efficient but xp-g give a more concentrated beam and tou can see further.
Keep in mind you can easily build a filter to "spread" the light. Make the opposite is very very complicated.
I prefer xp-g better than xm-l in edc flashlights.

sbbsga

Enlightened
Partner A1
-lenght: 68,5mm

Partner A2
-lenght:120mm

Partner C1
-lenght: 53mm

Thanks for the awesome review!

May I know if you measured the torches physically, because I saw from another review that Armytek's specified lengths are about 30mm shorter on each model. Would you be so kind to confirm them again please?

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow that's a HUGE low. And I've been complaining about a 65lm low on my EA4.

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Update

Armytek contacted me and says that A1 and C1 can work with Li-Ion battery (14500 and 16340) so i'll test the with Li-Ion.
A1 and C1 will produce a lot of heat and Armytek suggests to not use them at max for more than 30min without active cooling.

sbbsga

Enlightened
Update

Armytek contacted me and says that A1 and C1 can work with Li-Ion battery (14500 and 16340) so i'll test the with Li-Ion.
A1 and C1 will produce a lot of heat and Armytek suggests to not use them at max for more than 30min without active cooling.

Oh, I thought they were going to update the current models to run Li-ion's.

Sent from mobile device.

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
I suppose heat is the main problem so they stated to use CR123A or AA nimh to avoid problems. Driver supports 4,2V as stated in new Partner manual.