Armytek XHP-50 Headlamp 1600 lumen

tops2

Enlightened
I wasn't going to get it but now considering one. Any major issues or complaints? How is the tint on the warm.

I haven't used mine in a few weeks but the only minor complaint I had was more UI (I'm more used to Zebralight UI). To switch groups is either double click or triple click. It felt like when I'm in the mood to switch up modes or testing brightness, I'm clicking so much. But once I'm happy with a level it doesn't matter.

A disclaimer is I prefer neutral white at around 5000k (4500k is okay too but starting to get too yellow for me). The warm to me is too warm. At lower lumens, it feels so dim and everything has a dirty yellow tinge. On higher levels it's really nice and comforting, but definitely warm. But I use my lights at lower levels a lot and don't like the dirty yellow tinge. But as always, this is just my personal preference.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I haven't used mine in a few weeks but the only minor complaint I had was more UI (I'm more used to Zebralight UI). To switch groups is either double click or triple click. It felt like when I'm in the mood to switch up modes or testing brightness, I'm clicking so much. But once I'm happy with a level it doesn't matter.

A disclaimer is I prefer neutral white at around 5000k (4500k is okay too but starting to get too yellow for me). The warm to me is too warm. At lower lumens, it feels so dim and everything has a dirty yellow tinge. On higher levels it's really nice and comforting, but definitely warm. But I use my lights at lower levels a lot and don't like the dirty yellow tinge. But as always, this is just my personal preference.

Thanks. My other AT lights are really warm which is ok for me. What battery are you using?

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
NCR18650GA unprotected or LG HG2 in my two Wizard XHP-50 White. The Wizard is more on the neutral side compare to my tiara A1 white that is more CW.

clemence

Newly Enlightened

A quick fix would be to use LED colour gel from Lee Filter. You can get the swatch sampler for free. Once you get the right filter, you can either cut the swatch or order a sheet (should be enough for many wizards)

Woods Walker

I just got the HXP-50 Wizard warm in the mail. Sadly my order from another seller for new batteries and charger didn't come yet so tested it out with a Keep power protected 3200 mAh standard 18650 (not the high drain). First the tint is wonderful. Now I am a warm tint person so keep that in mind but this hits the nail on the head. Reminds me of the tint from my old H501w and TK20 aka XR-E old school. Ok yea LED type doesn't equal tint however not all neutral white looks the same. This one is perfect for the warmer side of NW. Yea know, the good without the green shade. Prefer it to the Tiara pro warm tint which is also good. As for the video showing the 1XAA XM-L being just as bright compered to the HXP-50. Nope. Not even close. I suspect the person has a battery issue. My battery isn't high drain (near as I can tell) so only ran it for a few seconds on max turbo however max turbo or normal turbo the XHP-50 rocks the house. Not even a contest though again I like my Tiara A1 but dang...... WOW!

Also I think firefly 3 might be a good low output camp mode. Seems lower than M1 on the Tiara but high enough to do cooking etc. Will test that out during my next trip.

Edit. Also Main 2 on the XHP-50 looks to my eyes like 30 lumens as stated on the manual.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Ok so what did we do today. First did a 9.25 mile trail run as in full out run.

Despite holding nothing back I wasn't satisfied as needed a night hike to test the new Wizard. Hit the trail again. Twice in one day. LOL!

Compared the Tiara pro (I removed the magnetic tail cap for a standard) XM-L2 NW to HXP-50 NW.

This isn't a review just my initial first outing impressions.

1. Confirmed. The Main 2 of the Tiara is brighter than M1 on the HXP-50. I don't question the claims it's 100 lumens but on mine looks like what AT says on my manual 30 (I think it's 40 but not sure). I have read other stats saying it was indeed 100. But no way.

2. Incredibly bright to the point of the turbo modes being novitiates. WOW!

3. Tint rocks even better outside.

4. Seemed comfortable and didn't flop around that much during a slow jog. I didn't sprint fast as didn't want to push it for the second outing of the day.

That's all for now.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Confirmed. The Main 2 of the Tiara is brighter than M1 on the HXP-50. I don't question the claims it's 100 lumens but on mine looks like what AT says on my manual 30 (I think it's 40 but not sure). I have read other stats saying it was indeed 100. But no way.

You might have gotten one from a newer batch that fixed the problem. AT confirmed they had had to bump up the output of M1 to around 100 LED lumens to eliminate driver whine.
Good for you, because 100 is too bright for up close, yet not bright enough for further away. It's a bit of a wasted mode on mine.

Woods Walker

You might have gotten one from a newer batch that fixed the problem. AT confirmed they had had to bump up the output of M1 to around 100 LED lumens to eliminate driver whine.
Good for you, because 100 is too bright for up close, yet not bright enough for further away. It's a bit of a wasted mode on mine.

Not sure and only using my eyes but no question it's dimmer than the Tiara M2. I like the mode though only tested the light with one battery etc.

Woods Walker

Also adding the manual explains that the turbo modes need unprotected or 7A min PCB. Tested it out against a C1 XM-L2 in M2 vs HXP50 Wizard V3 M1. Both warm. No way the Wizard M1 is 100 lumens. Any it really appears to be 30 or so lumens like the manual states. Anyone else verify this? Also there might be a problem with that mode. The light seems to have a micro flash when the green power LED goes off aka the main led matches that for a split second. I noticed it the other day but thought it was my imagination. It's so fast if yea blink I miss it but if not my eye catches it. Going to charge the battery to make sure it's not that. If it continues it will be unacceptable as it's distracting. The main LED shouldn't flash at the same time as the green led. Will charge the battery and test again tomorrow. Sometimes issues are battery related.

Edit. Ok it seemed like it might have been improved after battery change or maybe it was visual feed back from the green flashlight light. Or maybe it does have a slight flash. Not sure but will keep an eye on it. Dang tint is really nice!

Last edited:

start90a

Newly Enlightened
My wizard pro XHP50 warm sample received last week has an M1 of 30 lumen as stated in the new manual available on official site.
Was said that on firsts batches cause of an electronic problem that level was shifted to 100 lumen, probably is solved now.
Unfortunately I think had noticed main LED flashes too, but not sure when it appears.

Made also a ceiling bounce test that showed 1500 OTF lumen (in comparison Skilhunt H03 nw showed 900 lumen and SC63 1480 lumen).

Last edited:

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Yup, Armytek finally improves.
- Manual now come as standard package
- Brightness levels are now consistent (I can only say the relative RATIO for now, Integrating Sphere test will prove the stated OTF) to the manual
A piece of whatever paper is simple to print and exxxtremely cheap investment for users with no experience with lights (or internet connection).
Keep it up AT

- Better late (and slow) rather than forgotten -

Woods Walker

My wizard pro XHP50 warm sample received last week has an M1 of 30 lumen as stated in the new manual available on official site.
Was said that on firsts batches cause of an electronic problem that level was shifted to 100 lumen, probably is solved now.
Unfortunately I think had noticed main LED flashes too, but not sure when it appears.

Made also a ceiling bounce test that showed 1500 OTF lumen (in comparison Skilhunt H03 nw showed 900 lumen and SC63 1480 lumen).

It might flash at that M1 mode. It's just so slight but something is distracting me on occasion when using then light on the M1 mode. But if it is there is's really a rapid thing. It might happen when the green light flashes but I couldn't see it reliably so not sure. Has anyone else seen this mystery flash during use on the 30 lumen M1 mode...which is really 30 lumens.

Woods Walker

Dang. I think the main LED does flash on M1. Using it now with battery fresh off charger. It's like a flicker when the green light fires. Dang. Might have to call Armytek. Anyone else seeing this again only on the M1 mode with true 30 lumens.

start90a

Newly Enlightened
Yes, my sample does the same thing. Also in firefly mode indicator led flashes quickly but very weakly.
A little worried about it, but I'm not going to change the light right now. I need this headlamp, so I hope this will not be a real problem or, worst case, I rely on warranty service in future, if will be necessary.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Yes, my sample does the same thing. Also in firefly mode indicator led flashes quickly but very weakly.
A little worried about it, but I'm not going to change the light right now. I need this headlamp, so I hope this will not be a real problem or, worst case, I rely on warranty service in future, if will be necessary.

Nope. Not going to accept it as is. I despise flickering lights and this one is doing it just at the edge of my perception which makes me blink. I noticed it during a first outing testing but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. thought it was my imagination. I do night bouldering and sometimes climbing. I can't afford any distractions. Dang it's the prefect headlamp in terms of modes and tint. LOL! Here is how it was tested to determine the flicker as it's so fast and timed directly with the green indicator light I wanted to rule out the output from that interfering with the determination.

Tested with these batteries to eliminate battery issues.

As for the indicator light on firefly it would only blink on the highest firefly setting which is 5 or so lumens. That is ok as it's not needed for the very low modes however it would blink 3 times then stop blinking. I don't really care about that issue as never found that feature useful anyways but dang. I mean dang. A flickering headlamp. Nope. Not doing that.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Another interesting thing. Not sure if anyone knows but the always on state indicator function doesn't work. It does work but only allows press and hold activation of the light aka press and hold the switch for last mode used and that's it. Once switch is released the light goes out. I think it somehow gets into tactical mode.

Edit. I got the always on state indicator function to work. Kinda cool!

edit again. But still has that annoying micro flicker in the 30 lumen mode. Bummer. I was hoping maybe changing this around would somehow fix it. No flicker in the lower firefly modes during the constant on state indicator or higher but still same issue with the 30. Dang that's my favorite mode. What so difficult about that setting anyways? LOL! Seems to been a source of problems from the get go. Tell you all one thing. Once this is all straightened out I am going to use the constant indicator for hikes etc to help mitigate a lost light

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Dang. I think the main LED does flash on M1. Using it now with battery fresh off charger. It's like a flicker when the green light fires. Dang. Might have to call Armytek. Anyone else seeing this again only on the M1 mode with true 30 lumens.

No I don't have this issue on any of my 2 Wizard XHP.

On firefly 1-2-3, the green led flashes 3 times only.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

No I don't have this issue on any of my 2 Wizard XHP.

On firefly 1-2-3, the green led flashes 3 times only.

Yup I get the 3 flashes for 1-2-3. Do you have the true 30 lumen m1 mode. Near as I can tell that's the only problem with mine. A fast faint flicker on M1 which matches the green indicator light. No other mode shows that for me.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Yup I get the 3 flashes for 1-2-3. Do you have the true 30 lumen m1 mode. Near as I can tell that's the only problem with mine. A fast faint flicker on M1 which matches the green indicator light. No other mode shows that for me.

I would say 100lm...a bit more than the M2(70lm) of my Tiara A1 with 14500 cell.

Woods Walker

I would say 100lm...a bit more than the M2(70lm) of my Tiara A1 with 14500 cell.

Mine is considerably less than my Tiara A1 with 14500, so it's 30 lumens. So given another person who has the true 30 lumen mode also has the same issue they must have failed to properly correct whatever was the initial problem or created a new problem in place of the old. Beyond being M1 of the second mode settings not sure what's so difficult about getting the 30 lumen mode right. Armytek gave me the service center email so will update the forum as this progresses.

Latest posts