Armytek XHP-50 Headlamp 1600 lumen

MX421

Enlightened
I, too, am a member of the disappointed-with-and don't trust-Armytek club.
But it seems membership is low, and enough folks keep buying to keep AT in business, so if Armytek is smart, it will improve, before they lose even those who are faithful to them without question. That should be good for everyone.

I am definitely not faithful to them without question, but, like Devon, the lights i have are very good at what they are designed to do (Barracuda, Predator and a used, ie vetted Viking). I've had one issue with the most recent online purchase I made, but luckily i purchased from a dealer who had wonderful customer service (illumn) who took care of the issue (via refund). Prior to that, I ordered once directly from Armytek, and am so thankful those products were okay. Like Gyzmo2, i have issues with the bold claim that they are a Canadian Company, yet they ship to you directly from China and you have to return "warranty" items to China (at the Customer cost). As i knock on my laminate desk, I've not had this happen to me, but the reputation makes me think twice or more every time i think they might have a product i'm interested in. Even so, i really like the products i have as they work very well. Quite the dilemma as i contemplate a Wizard Pro with a warm tint...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/397716

Post 84 and later.

I need a plane to go there lol..
Yes, I've seen the street view pictures of their address. I guess they manage out of a townhome/condo. I guess they have a point that they are registered in Canada. A lot of companies like the one i work for registers their ships in Panama, even though they have no office presence there whatsoever.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/397716Since it is Chinese New Year, I resolved to calm me regarding Armitek .... I do not know how long it will last 🙂

You've gone a whole month, you should be proud :).

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I've had one issue with the most recent online purchase I made, but luckily i purchased from a dealer who had wonderful customer service (illumn) who took care of the issue (via refund).

I wonder if that's why AT prime models are being unloaded at significant discounts over at Illumn...

Anyways, thanks for your input.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
You've gone a whole month, you should be proud :).

It's already over, I think.

When I see the Canadian flag on their site, it makes me furious.

The representative of Armytek did not seem like my intervention in this thread. Still, I was just answering a question ... since I'm friendly, I told him subtly, even though, I am a short-tempered. lol.

it's just a Sales Representative, he cannot do much. Poor him.

Member: Hello Armytek, I have a problem and I have sent many emails to [email protected]....

Armytek: Happy Chinese Year. If you have other question, feel free to contact [email protected].

Hourra....

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I think this market chased lumens and features too long. Seriously, I have old LED lights from almost a decade ago still going camping with me or rolling around in the back of a my truck for breakdowns. I found a box of my old toys and games from the 70's/80's which turned out to be still working, took ten year beatings back then, ressurected and seeing more service for a new generation. When these things broke its because they physically broke, aka dad ran over them with a car accidentally. Now you hold your hat to see if its still working by the time it gets to you from the production line.

I totally agree. We now live in a disposable society and its sad. Our future generations will pay for our generations poor attempts at fueling the economy. One day they will mine our garbage dumps because they will be the only resources left due to our wastefulness and excessive lifestyles.:shakehead

I agree too! My dad has an old chrome flashlight he keeps under the stairs that my grandpa gave him and it still works... it's amazing how fast you fly thru 50,000 LED emitter hours these days!

The only problem with Armytech is their stuff breaks easily... and then the only way they fix it is if you publicly call them out on this site! I also agree with the others though the GG's customer service is excellent and makes a good pair when buying cheap flashlights.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received email today from Andrew&Amanda.com that this headlamp will be available in 3 weeks.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
It's already over, I think.

When I see the Canadian flag on their site, it makes me furious.

The representative of Armytek did not seem like my intervention in this thread. Still, I was just answering a question ... since I'm friendly, I told him subtly, even though, I am a short-tempered. lol.

it's just a Sales Representative, he cannot do much. Poor him.

Member: Hello Armytek, I have a problem and I have sent many emails to [email protected]....

Armytek: Happy Chinese Year. If you have other question, feel free to contact [email protected].

Hourra....

LOL! :laughing:

dave101

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if we will undergo the "Pre-Production" fiasco we endured with the with the Dobermann? Let's hope not.

wormyian

Newly Enlightened
No, MT-G2 is outdated.
XHP-50 is much better, approximately it gives 300 lumen higher. As we are doing our Wizard now :)[/QUO

i will have to try the warm one on this new torch i currently use a acebeam H10 as it workd really nice looking at the sand as it has a warm tint is this new cree much better light quality than MT-G2?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it is just a lumen race. What I have seen is a widening of beam pattern that gets too wide (cant see details at 2 meters for inspection, can see too far down the trail), then the lumen needing to catch back up so you have the lux needed to see the darn stuff. Then, another beam widening--without regard to area=pi x radius squared (same principle as inverse square) law taken into account, for the needed exponential lumens necessary. There is a big difference in amount of light needed for a 8 degree reflector and the 15 degrees needed by the eye cones. Then, there is a whole crowd that loves super wide hotspots (good for reading, navigating at 2 mile per hour, camping), not realizing you need a butt load of lumens and batteries to support a reasonable lux for that big butt or pure hotspot.

Yes, we all agree that "any light on head" is better than no light. Which is fine if you are just trying to see in the dark (Mythbusters concluded 1/4 lux needed to get around in the pitch black "tomb"-which means one wax candle is 4x more light than anyone needs.). Even an improvement for biking, or white wall hunting. Just not optimal.

300 lux (MB again) is minimum for reading, 1000 minimum surface lux for detail inspection work. (So, a 1000 candela should be bumped up to 4000 for 2 meter inspection-8000 candela at 45 degrees.) The lumens for xxx lux go exponentially too as you widen that hotspot. Exponential, on top of exponential. And you have the weight and heat limitation of the headlamp formfactor to consider on top of the consideration for useful runtime to fill the daily work day length.

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Wow for sure. But what are the run times for the different modes.

Bob

Turbo2 = 2300 (1h), Turbo1 = 1250lm (1h40min), 500lm (4h10min),210lm (10h40мin), 40lm (50h), 7lm (12d), 2lm (40d), 0.25lm (200d), Strobe3: 10Hz, Turbo2, 2h; Strobe2: 1Hz, Turbo2, 3.5h; Strobe2: 1Hz, Main2, 35h

https://www.armytek.com/products/fl...armytek-wizard-pro-v3-xhp50-white-silver.html

The Wizard thread. For the XHP50 start at #97: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/397737

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light has been announced its 2300 Lumens now. I never thought the headlamps will be in lumens race like regular torches.
https://www.armytek.com/be-the-first-to-say-wow.html

Keep in mind the spec is not out the front lumens.

Me neither, very seldom does anyone need anywhere near that high of an output from a headlamp. O, the lumen race:shakehead. I bet the output drops extremely fast both from heat and from cell/voltage sag. Not to mention the short runtimes on a single cell. This kind of output would be much better suited to a headlamp with remote multi cell capabilities as well as larger body with better heatsinking imo. Companies are getting a bit ridiculous with these designs imo. I wonder if this comes with Armytek's usual great quality control and "no hassle warranty":D

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Good reasons why I'm on the fence at this moment. Heat and runtime on the highest mode for this tiny light. We will not use this light on a icepack on the head. 🙂

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it is just a lumen race ...

I don't mind big lumens. Those are just turbo modes. They are fine to have in any flashlight. Don't make the mistake of thinking of your flashlight/headlamp in terms of those numbers.

I tend to categorize my flashlights according to the outputs they can sustain for extended periods. Thus, my ZebraLight SC62w is not a 930-lumen flashlight, even though that is the output it produces on its highest mode. Instead, I view the SC62w as a 500-lumen flashlight, or less, which can hold that level for around 90 minutes.

With this perspective, it is important to me that mode spacing be good at the levels that are sustainable. I don't just want 500 lumens, I want to be able to select a variety of outputs and runtimes at levels below that, starting with something in the single-digit area.

Given the small size of the Armytek Wizard Pro v3, I think we can expect an analogous result. Sustainable output is probably closer to 500 lumens than any quadruple-digit figure.

Having a turbo boost that takes me to 2300 lumens, or ten thousand or a million, is fine by me. :devil:

What I have seen is a widening of beam pattern ...

Armytek is reporting a 70-degree hot-spot for this TIR-based light!

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind big lumens. Those are just turbo modes. They are fine to have in any flashlight. Don't make the mistake of thinking of your flashlight/headlamp in terms of those numbers.

I tend to categorize my flashlights according to the outputs they can sustain for extended periods. Thus, my ZebraLight SC62w is not a 930-lumen flashlight, even though that is the output it produces on its highest mode. Instead, I view the SC62w as a 500-lumen flashlight, or less, which can hold that level for around 90 minutes.

With this perspective, it is important to me that mode spacing be good at the levels that are sustainable. I don't just want 500 lumens, I want to be able to select a variety of outputs and runtimes at levels below that, starting with something in the single-digit area.

Given the small size of the Armytek Wizard Pro v3, I think we can expect an analogous result. Sustainable output is probably closer to 500 lumens that any quadruple-digit figure.

Having a turbo boost that takes me to 2300 lumens, or ten thousand or a million, is fine by me. :devil:

Armytek is reporting a 70 degree hot-spot for this TIR-based light!

I think the same way and look for the same things.

Wonder if that 70 degree beam will remain the same or just hasn't been updated:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
This being a new light, I'm kind of disappointed in the runtimes actually. When I look at the lower levels and compared it to runtimes on my Zebralight H600w MkII they end up not being any better. Considering how long the Zebralight H600 Mk II's have been out, the conclusion is Zebralight makes more efficient lights. Also please give us OTF output readings not LED. I briefly considered the Armytek, but after seeing the specs of it I will be waiting on the next Zebralight H600w MkIII to see how it compares. I am also disappointed in the mode spacing on this light. I would like to see a mode in between 40 lumen and 210 lumen. I use the 65 lumen setting on the zebralight a lot, but something in the 60-100 lumen mode would be nice from the Armytek. I don't care too much for using 1,000 plus lumen settings for a headlamp, I mainly use 330 lumen and below on my Zebra and enjoy the solid runtimes it gives at those levels. I also have concerns over build quality of from Armytek. I have the Predator Pro XPL HI "Special Editions" which has an off center LED.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
This being a new light, I'm kind of disappointed in the runtimes actually. When I look at the lower levels and compared it to runtimes on my Zebralight H600w MkII they end up not being any better. Considering how long the Zebralight H600 Mk II's have been out, the conclusion is Zebralight makes more efficient lights. Also please give us OTF output readings not LED. I briefly considered the Armytek, but after seeing the specs of it I will be waiting on the next Zebralight H600w MkIII to see how it compares. I am also disappointed in the mode spacing on this light. I would like to see a mode in between 40 lumen and 210 lumen. I use the 65 lumen setting on the zebralight a lot, but something in the 60-100 lumen mode would be nice from the Armytek. I don't care too much for using 1,000 plus lumen settings for a headlamp, I mainly use 330 lumen and below on my Zebra and enjoy the solid runtimes it gives at those levels. I also have concerns over build quality of from Armytek. I have the Predator Pro XPL HI "Special Editions" which has an off center LED.

With the exception of their increased max output, albeit on a short thermal leash, and a more even beam profile, except the HI, the MK 3s, too, do not offer much if any improvements in run times. For some, they're the next great thing; for others, they are merely changes for change's sake. Different bait for different fish.

Latest posts