Australian laser laws - what is the latest news???

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that the ban only applies to laser pointers. This means that non-portable lasers could still be imported. It may also be possible to import laser pointers if you declare them as OEM equipment.

If all lasers were banned, how else would Aussies get DVD burners? :)

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hey with the helicopters out of the sky thing...

In Perth we have the first non military police force air support (Helis) in Australia to be equipped with night vision equipment.

Now, I am not Einstein or anything but I'd guess, even with a weak laser beam, when using night vision gear (MIL spec at that) it'd give you one heck of a headache and retina burn.

On the news night before last I watched them training with the flip down equipment on and they showed the difference between with and without the gear on, and to show how sensitive it is, they had a target dude on the ground in a forrest waving his mobile phone around and WOW it was bright from way up!!

Anyway, my point is that with night vision - which police air wing pilots WILL be using from now on - anybody aiming a laser at them is now MORE likely to do some serious injury.

I hope they take laser offenders to the cleaners and then some personally. The offenders have just ruined it for everyone.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Anyway, my point is that with night vision - which police air wing pilots WILL be using from now on - anybody aiming a laser at them is now MORE likely to do some serious injury.

Someone with a laser or other high intensity light source could certianly blind the night vision DEVICE, but not the WEARER. The phosphor screens can't go beyond their maximum driven brightness which would still be eye-safe. It would be irritating, it would make the NVD's useless while they were illuminated, and it would rob the wearer of his night-vision for a while, but it would not be eye-dangerous. It might be dangerous in terms of navigation, or the wearer's ability to function of course.

The analogy would be like pointing a video camera into the sun, then watching the image on a TV. The TV can't produce the sun's brightness, it just washes out white as bright as it can go, which is still eye safe.

And most modern third-fourth generation NVD's that police and military can afford have automatic cut outs, or even better, just make a black spot over the source of the overload in the image so you can still see the rest of the view.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Awesome AJ - I just learnt something!! Thanks!! :)

I guess a 200 lumen f/l being banned would be a bit dumb though. It would make a great locating beacon out in the wild.

gollum

Enlightened
actually.... not long ago (9 months or so)
our politicians nearly sneaked in a law to ban all knives for import
...what a ridiculous concept :shakehead
this was an attempt to reduce youth crime in cities
luckily the knifemaking community averted this law by forcing the matter to court for a hearing thus preventing the law from slipping in.
I remember many years ago our politicians actually wanted to make motorbike riders wear seatbelts ...:banghead:

I ordered a 50mw green laser 2 weeks ago from dx
I am not planning on flashing any pilots though...
I believe this is another knee jerk reaction by the politicians to justify their existence...I really don't think there is any common sense involved here.

just my 2c

luvlasers

Enlightened
What bugs me about this kind of law is basically not necessary and it will not work. Yet it uses so much resources that could have been applied for problems that are really serious such as the import of drugs, real weapons, indentured/slave prostitutes etc etc

gollum

Enlightened
dx hasn't shipped my laser to me yet ,so I guess I'll have to hope that customs will not realise what it is....otherwise I'll not be getting it ....
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put in a DX order some time back, and it just arrived today. Took weeks to arrive, despite HK postal evidence at the Hong Kong end.

The reason? Held up for inspection at Australian Customs, who found nothing untoward and let it get posted. All fine, of course.

But London to a brick they were looking for lasers.

AvPD

Enlightened